Threaded View

Help with 1999 Bonneville//Judgement Call

Hey Guys,

I need some advice regarding my Brothers 99 Bonneville. He called me tonight to tell me the Check engine light started blinking. Now I know this is pretty much a Hard Fault Misfire, so I grabbed my scan tool and went over to his place. I scanned it and got a P0304 code which is a Cylinder 4 misfire...Not a big deal.

The thing that is worrying me is that the ABS light is on and apparently has been on for awhile he just never told me. I have been looking online for ABS part prices and it seems like even the wheel sensor is 300 bucks or so for the part at the cheapest.

The car has 90K miles and is in decent shape, but I am just not sure how much money to throw at it before it isn't worth it any more. KBB says trade in is 2 grand if he is lucky and gets blue book for it. Obviously if it ends up being a spark plug wire and some dirt on the ABS sensor than this I am worrying for nothing.

Where would you guys draw the line on cost and just upgrade to something newer. I just don't want the thing going into money pit mode on him.

One thing I ask you to keep in mind is my brother IS NOT a car guy. He is a if it has four wheels and gets me to work Ill drive it kind of guy. So he doesn't pay attention to things like a car nut would.

Thanks for any advice,

Tom
    Last edited by 03CVLX; 10-05-2008 at 12:17 AM.
    2011 Lincoln MKS AWD