Thread: 3rd Gen Camaro?

Question 3rd Gen Camaro?

Okay-I'm looking at an '86 Iroc Z28 T-Tops with factory non-a/c, manual windows, manual locks, 3.42 open rear, and a 5-Speed with the 4 bbl LG4 305. It has new paint, (hasn't been wet sanded-kinda looks like crap), it has some typical minor soft spots in the floor(subframe connectors though), and the interior is pretty much mint. Supposedly it has 34k original miles, but no way to confirm it-most likely it's 134k. I know it's a pretty rare find, but the guy wants $4000 firm. Think it's worth it? Or would the money be better spent looking for a newer TPI 5-Speed in simular condition, but most likely with a/c, power windows, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Racer X79 View Post
    Okay-I'm looking at an '86 Iroc Z28 T-Tops with factory non-a/c, manual windows, manual locks, 3.42 open rear, and a 5-Speed with the 4 bbl LG4 305. It has new paint, (hasn't been wet sanded-kinda looks like crap), it has some typical minor soft spots in the floor(subframe connectors though), and the interior is pretty much mint. Supposedly it has 34k original miles, but no way to confirm it-most likely it's 134k. I know it's a pretty rare find, but the guy wants $4000 firm. Think it's worth it? Or would the money be better spent looking for a newer TPI 5-Speed in simular condition, but most likely with a/c, power windows, etc...
    Three words: Mullet, Mullet, Pushrod (inside joke, but you probably get it)

OK, now that the joking is over, yeah, that seems WAY high. A guy at work bought one (and it is a vert mind you) with a rebuilt 700R4 reverse manual valve body, 383 stroker, in decent shape, for the same price. Look around, the 3rd gens are getting super cheap, and lots of them have some decent money stuck into them (like the one my buddy at work bought). The 305, as I am sure you know, is pretty well known for lifter tick, so if you do decide to purchase this one, make sure you hear it run first

unless the body was absolutly perfect, and the motor ran perfect, no, that price is WAY high. even in those circumstances, it might still be a bit high.
    "A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Jeremy Clarkson

7.5 rear 26 spline, put a healthy motor in it and go boom!
    If a hammer,crescent wrench,duct tape, or JB Weld can't fix it........Its gotta be a electrical problem

Its def not worth that much. The only 3rd gens getting that kinda money are L98 (350), GTA, super low miles....if it really is that low of miles why is the floor soft and the paint shit? I wouldnt go higher than 3000
    Kevin
    Daily Driver: 1999 Chevy Tahoe w/ Vortec 350
    Wifes DD: 2003 VW Passat Wagon w/ 1.8T, 5 speed auto
    Plow Truck: 99 Chevy K3500 Pickup w/ a Vortec 454
    Toy 1: 98 BMW R1100R
    87 Camaro Iroc Z28, SOLD, Gone But not Forgotten

Yea i would stay away from it for that price.
    The floors should not have spoft spots with 34,000 on it unless it sat in a swamp!
    I would look for a newer TPI with a 5 speed oh and atleast get a L98
    http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic372_2.gif

T-Top Camaro! WOOOOOOOO!

sorry John, I know you get misty eyed for the 3rd gens but I had to poke fun.

Thanks shooo buddy, but the Mullet warning has expired.
    I picked up a clean '91 Z28 305 TPI/ 5-Speed hard top for less than what the guy wanted for the '86 Iroc.
    2005 Chevy C1500 ECSB
    2008 Mustang GT 5-Speed Grocery Getter
    1979 Z28 4-Speed
    1996 XJ Cherokee

Price is a little high. Keep looking around you will find a nice one for a much better price. My neighbor just picked up a formula with a real clean body for 1300

Quote Originally Posted by Racer X79 View Post
    Thanks shooo buddy, but the Mullet warning has expired.
    I picked up a clean '91 Z28 305 TPI/ 5-Speed hard top for less than what the guy wanted for the '86 Iroc.
    Cool maybe you will make it to 3rd gen fest next year it's a blast!!!
    http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic372_2.gif