Yep, it shoots fireballs!!! stealthy1ss's Avatar

Valve Train Issues

I need a little help from some of you engine people. My problem is that my timing chain or something in that area is getting louder and louder. It actually sounds like the timing chain is hitting the valve cover. My thoughts are that the timing chain its self is bad, the timing chain tensioner is bad, or the timing chain guide is bad. Here is a video of a cold start and you can definately tell that the car is not happy.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=43649997

\/ What amazing looks like \/
    take the valve cove off tyler.. pretty simple... if there is slack in the chain you you'll see it.. .....

the gasket is a rubber gasket and can be re-used if your dont stretch it out.

What kind of car? its hard to see in the video. An SS camaro, cobalt? Racket does not sound happy though
    If a hammer,crescent wrench,duct tape, or JB Weld can't fix it........Its gotta be a electrical problem

Quote Originally Posted by Sprayaway Fox View Post
    What kind of car? its hard to see in the video. An SS camaro, cobalt? Racket does not sound happy though
    its a cobalt... and its the timing tensioner... tyler is just to afraid to take off the valve cover

just pull the damn cover already its simple take about 11 or so bolts out and wala the covers off and u can check the chain. i would buy a new gasket any ways as they prolly arn't much more then $15 just incase it stretches i've had problems gettig valve covers to seal again and needed new gaskets to fix. just my opinion
    2001 Trans Am WS6, Race car
    [COLOR="Blue"]2006 Tacoma Xrunner

I just dropped the car off at the dealer without removing anything. What would taking the valve cover just to check things out do besides tell me what I already know.

with out taking off the valve cover i already know... ya know

After thinking about all the options all signs point to the tentioner cause it would only do it when decelerating. Now we will find out if they will warrenty it.

Nate on a side note, if you need some tires for your wheels (bent on included ). I will have my hands on a pair of Yoko's Perada's (sp ?). They are 205/45/17.

Quote Originally Posted by stealthy1ss View Post
    After thinking about all the options all signs point to the tentioner cause it would only do it when decelerating. Now we will find out if they will warrenty it.

Nate on a side note, if you need some tires for your wheels (bent on included ). I will have my hands on a pair of Yoko's Perada's (sp ?). They are 205/45/17.
    free?

Quote Originally Posted by nramlow2006 View Post
    free?
    Small fee. Took the car in and it was the tensioner.

pm me with the small fee...

I need to see them first.

ok..