Vortec 454 Cam Help

I'm starting to look at cams for the 454 in my truck, and I'm really not sure what to go with. I want something thats going to give me more power over all, without loosing any low end power. Something that isn't going to be all lopy being that I drive the truck every day and it needs to get decent milage. I would like to go with Comp Cams, was looking at the RV cam but I guess Im just looking for some thoughs.
    Kevin
    Daily Driver: 1999 Chevy Tahoe w/ Vortec 350
    Wifes DD: 2003 VW Passat Wagon w/ 1.8T, 5 speed auto
    Plow Truck: 99 Chevy K3500 Pickup w/ a Vortec 454
    Toy 1: 98 BMW R1100R
    87 Camaro Iroc Z28, SOLD, Gone But not Forgotten

Try calling comp cams cam help.... Then go on Competition Products website and find on comprable or the same. My Comp products cam was 75 dollars cheaper than the same exact edelbrock cam for a BBC. Comp products staff is awesome so you cud just call them too. Tire size, gears, weight, converter, engine size and RPM you want to pull, to intended usage.
    If a hammer,crescent wrench,duct tape, or JB Weld can't fix it........Its gotta be a electrical problem

Ed Curtis at www.flowtechinduction.com does a lot of custom cams. He's got a spec sheet that you fill out to give him an idea of where to start, then you can shat with him to get it fine tuned before he has it ground and sent to you.
    I've also heard good things about Comp Cams as stated above from a friend who used to work for Rousch.
    Scott Braemer
    2000 NHRA Edition Trans Am
    2006 TrailBlazer SS
    2008 GMC Sierra Denali

I'd call comp cams and ask them to grind a 4x4 extreme profile that would suit your truck I have a lumpier one in the firetruck but the first three are pretty tame but make more torque and horsepower from idle on up
    -Patrick

I r teh have da kewl now cuz of that ^^^^^^

"It's not a racecar if it drives to the track and goes home on a flatbed apparently"

Pissed off the admins and earned a time out.
    I run Crane only, I have seen a few things I do not like with Comp cams, also, if you use some of the cheaper stuff, check the dimensions with a mic, you may be surpized at what you find......... you get what you pay for

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    As far as a good general specification, I'd probably run something in the 204-208 @ .050 range. As a general rule, you could probably get away with something like that without doing anything too radical as far as tuning goes...at least, this is the case with Mopars (with the 360 magnum, we could generally get away with the stock ecu and a roller up to that size...you should have more flexibility, being infinitely more "tuneable" than the mopar engine management crap). Nice thing is that it'll work with whatever gears/torque converter your running.

Stock for something like your truck is probably in the high 180-low 190's at best...this is a guess, but a pretty fair one. So something in that 204-208 range will represent a healthy step up.

It'll still preserve good cylinder pressure, shouldn't be too much for the intake manifold design (designed for low-end torque most likely), and really wake up the mid-range dramatically...and will probably add another 1000 rpm to the powerband allowing for a significant power boost.

Being a mild cam for a fuel injected vehicle, most off the shelf cams will probably run 114-116LSA, but I wouldn't be shocked to see a 112LSA out there (I'd lean toward the smaller LSA's if you've got a choice).

Make sure you find out whether you'll need to upgrade valvesprings or not...
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Yeah I did the online cam questionare for Comp yesterday, haven't heard anything back yet though.

So far the truck has a stock tune but I'm planning on getting HP tuners after Jefferson and starting slow.

Biggest reason I'm asking about the cam is the truck is pushing 216,000 miles now and watching the scanner I noticed that timing is a little eratic and Im thinking its the same thing my vortec 305 was doing, chain stretched and the computer can only compensate so much. Anyways, I figured if Im going to put a new timing set in I might as well slide in a bigger cam while I'm at it. I would probably upgrade the springs and go to roller rockers at the same time.
    Kevin
    Daily Driver: 1999 Chevy Tahoe w/ Vortec 350
    Wifes DD: 2003 VW Passat Wagon w/ 1.8T, 5 speed auto
    Plow Truck: 99 Chevy K3500 Pickup w/ a Vortec 454
    Toy 1: 98 BMW R1100R
    87 Camaro Iroc Z28, SOLD, Gone But not Forgotten