Thread: Building an AR?

Senior Member..now yer posting! 73Dustr's Avatar

Building an AR?

I know there is a good group of people on here that build a variety of firearms. I am tossing around the idea about building an AR. I've shot them before and I would like to own one. I know I could go a purchase one, but I like the idea of being able to customize everything right off the bat. My question to you experienced builders is how hard is it to do? I know the lower has to be shipped to a FFL. As far as the actual build goes, is it very difficult? I look forward to some input.

Quote Originally Posted by 73Dustr View Post
    I know there is a good group of people on here that build a variety of firearms. I am tossing around the idea about building an AR. I've shot them before and I would like to own one. I know I could go a purchase one, but I like the idea of being able to customize everything right off the bat. My question to you experienced builders is how hard is it to do? I know the lower has to be shipped to a FFL. As far as the actual build goes, is it very difficult? I look forward to some input.
    AR's are about the easiest thing to build in the world, hardest thing to do is to make sure the parts you buy to assemble your upper and lower are quality, as there's LOTS of junk out there. AR15.com is a great place to start (both for general knowledge, and a GREAT source for parts!!!). What type are you going to build???

my dad and i own 3 AR's, 2 colt AR's and one we built about 10 years ago, Had Krieger toss a 1.25 stainless Bull barrel, we used it couple times out in South Dakota for Prairie dogs, fun guns to shoot

1999 C5 TT street car - 901/881 on pump gas, 10.82@137mph
    2013 Denali Duramax

Breecher_7
    Bob or I would be willing to help you out. Just let us know. As stated above, AR15.com is a good place to start.

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    most rock river arms,mega stuff is good,ar15.com is a great place also

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605

Yeah, I have been poking around ar15.com a little bit. As for what type, I was thinking of going a .223 flat top with a heavier varmint barrel. As far as brand goes for the upper, lower, etc., I'm not sure yet. I ordered a bunch of catalogs from ar15.com to see what some of the different mfgs have to offer. If I go ahead with it, it will likely be a spring/summer project. I want to read up on it a lot and price out different parts.

Breecher, I might just take you up on that offer when the time comes.

Yeah, I have been poking around ar15.com a little bit. As for what type, I was thinking of going a .223 flat top with a heavier varmint barrel. As far as brand goes for the upper, lower, etc., I'm not sure yet. I ordered a bunch of catalogs from ar15.com to see what some of the different mfgs have to offer. If I go ahead with it, it will likely be a spring/summer project. I want to read up on it a lot and price out different parts.

Breecher, I might just take you up on that offer when the time comes.
    FYI-Get an upper marked 5.56, not .223. Most can shoot both regardless of what they are marked, but SOME .223 marked uppers recommend that you don't shoot 5.56 ammo out of them. And for general plinking, you will want to shoot mil surplus (which is 5.56).

^ what he said...

I think you can find some Steyr ARs for around $800 right now at some of the sporting goods stores. Scheels, and maybe Gander Mountain. I've been planning on getting a Bushmaster myself... then a 6.5 Grendel upper.

Dusting off my knick knack... MurphysLaw88GT's Avatar
    Yes...5.56 and .223 are NOT exactly the same

Quote Originally Posted by STANMAN View Post
    FYI-Get an upper marked 5.56, not .223. Most can shoot both regardless of what they are marked, but SOME .223 marked uppers recommend that you don't shoot 5.56 ammo out of them. And for general plinking, you will want to shoot mil surplus (which is 5.56).
    So I can get a 5.56 upper and shoot .223 with no problem? Also, what is public opinion on Anvil Arms?

So I can get a 5.56 upper and shoot .223 with no problem? Also, what is public opinion on Anvil Arms?
    Yes on the 5.56 vs. .223 question. Never heard of Anvil Arms personally. Ever since the AWB sunsetted though there have been ALOT of players entering the game, and the last one I built was when it was still in effect, so it could be a quality piece.

Well, I did a lot of research and couldn't really find any negative feedback for Anvil. They are a smaller company based out of Florida. They offer a lifetime warranty and prices seem to be pretty good. I figure for my first build, I might try them out. I don't think my first one will be too fancy.

I just bought my wife a slightly used Bushmaster M4A3. $919 at Gander. Now, to get the Alexander Arms 6.5 and .50 uppers.