Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I would prolly purchase a import that has nice paint and wheels and looks not all FF out. Then pull it all out and do it up. I keep all of my projects under around 10 gs cause otherwise you usually take a pretty big hit when you sell it. Thanx for all your input I joined some forums to see what everybody else is doing.
    If a hammer,crescent wrench,duct tape, or JB Weld can't fix it........Its gotta be a electrical problem

Beeyond Engineering
    Quote Originally Posted by BeesTwinEG View Post
    Money wise, parts availbility, tuning and etc - Honda.
    92-2000 civic with 350-400whp, daily driven and one fast ass car .

listen to simon....remember: "SIMON SAYS"....

Nismo Dave, in a honda you don't necessarily need 450whp. Actually 450whp is way too much for a 2000-2100lb fwd civic. For the best all around car for the money the CIVIC is the best setup to build hands down. I've worked on and seen throughout my 12+ years in the import scene many setups from 240sx, supras, dsms, stis, etc etc and again the civic is the one. just my opinion whether anyone wants to agree or not.

Clean 92 Civic HB body: $1000
    1.6L DOHC Vtec: $2000
    Mild built 1.6L engine: $1200
    Basic Turbo Kit: $2000
    Misc. part(clutch, suspension,etc): $1200

Easily under $8K if DIY

15psi = 310-350whp
    BFG drag radials(full street trim) 1/4mile time: 11.8-12.2@120+mph
    Miller Park SCCA track time: 3 evos, 3 stis, 2 zo6, 1 nsx falls victim to it

this setup will still out handle many true sports car since it isn't too overly powered and weight distribution isn't overly placed since the DOHC engines come natural in Civics anyway in Japan. Turbo kit barely weighs 50lbs. Handling with slight suspension upgrades will be promising and you'll have those $30K+ sports car scratching their heads. With only 310-350whp it isn't overkill and that's where you want to be in a FWD anyways.

If you want RWD then an older 240sx DOHC is key

good luck on your search!!!
    Personal Best FWD Street-Trim: 9.66@158+mph

turt mcgurt - zenki master TURTLE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bee View Post
    Misc. part(clutch, suspension,etc): $1200

Easily under $8K if DIY

15psi = 310-350whp
    BFG drag radials(full street trim) 1/4mile time: 11.8-12.2@120+mph
    Miller Park SCCA track time: 3 evos, 3 stis, 2 zo6, 1 nsx falls victim to it

this setup will still out handle many true sports car since it isn't too overly powered and weight distribution isn't overly placed since the DOHC engines come natural in Civics anyway in Japan. Turbo kit barely weighs 50lbs. Handling with slight suspension upgrades will be promising and you'll have those $30K+ sports car scratching their heads. With only 310-350whp it isn't overkill and that's where you want to be in a FWD anyways.

If you want RWD then an older 240sx DOHC is key

good luck on your search!!!
    were the driver's drunk? i know i can quote some results saying i finished ahead of the same cars in any event... but if you look at the top level drivers on that list in those cars, i'm at the bottom... don't think for one second that $1200 in suspension will allow you to hand a vette or a evo or an sti it's @ss in handling... i know full well what it takes to prep a suspension and tires... and 1200 will barely get you wheels and tires(cheep) to make you one step closer... i will say this though, well set-up, the civic can be fast, but don't think throwing an off-the-shelf coilover setup on one is gonna make it handle f1 style...

and for the record, about 250-275 is where it's at in a short course for fwd, with a small turbo(think 16g)...
    -josh

'02 Neon ES(ACR/T) - R.I.P. 1-18-08
    '97 Neon Sport(track slut) - axles and brakes v2.0
    '98 Neon R/T sedan(DD) - "artie"
    "Speak softly, and carry a big stick" - Teddy Roosevelt

Beeyond Engineering
    turtle: hold on did you ever build and own a honda civic??? there are tons of used and new parts for civics at AWESOME prices. basic suspension work on a civic with decent tires handles very good and around 300ishwhp is a killer setup. when you have one and have raced one then share your experience. those power and basic suspension in a neon is totally different....NO COMPARISON.

turtle: hold on did you ever build and own a honda civic??? there are tons of used and new parts for civics at AWESOME prices. basic suspension work on a civic with decent tires handles very good and around 300ishwhp is a killer setup. when you have one and have raced one then share your experience. those power and basic suspension in a neon is totally different....NO COMPARISON.
    when did i say i hadn't driven one? you do realize that all i do is turn... it's a rarity to see me go down a 1/4 mile.. so while i may not be the authority on a lot of subjects, i do know what i'm talking about for the most part when it comes to the road racing and auto-x side of our hobby... and i'm calling bs on a $1200 budget for wheels, tires, and suspension to make your 300hp civic handle better than an evo, sti, nsx, vette, etc.. i'm not saying my neon is better... trust me, it's a beater that i tinker with, so don't get your rocks off trying to insult that...

i will say this though... for about $2500 you can have one helluva nice setup all said and done.... for suspension and wheels and tires...
    -josh

BCM Rseident Grill Master Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay's Avatar
    A good street clutch for a b series will cost around 400+, and a good set up for struts and springs/ coilovers is well over 700. From here is camber adjustments, rear control arms, new bushings, and then you can choose the cash on wheels and tires. Not heating the fire in a pissing match, but having a 99 SI and a 97 DX brings you in on the details.

BCM Cruiser
    you gotta pay to play.
    bewst. i haz it. yew needz it.

If you guys are talking autox and just a fast all around, reliable car why not just go with a bolt-on evo or sti and be done with it? Year round fun and are getting more affordable by the day.
    '94 6 liter 7 sold!
    '04 evo rs
    ml55 amg

Quote Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
    when did i say i hadn't driven one? you do realize that all i do is turn... it's a rarity to see me go down a 1/4 mile.. so while i may not be the authority on a lot of subjects, i do know what i'm talking about for the most part when it comes to the road racing and auto-x side of our hobby... and i'm calling bs on a $1200 budget for wheels, tires, and suspension to make your 300hp civic handle better than an evo, sti, nsx, vette, etc.. i'm not saying my neon is better... trust me, it's a beater that i tinker with, so don't get your rocks off trying to insult that...

i will say this though... for about $2500 you can have one helluva nice setup all said and done.... for suspension and wheels and tires...
    Still coming from a guy that drives a fuking wanna be Neon srt-4 ACR how suprising.... go play with your friend barnie
    Personal Best - 10.4 @ 140mph(110oct)2010
    10.9 @ 130mph (92oct) 2010
    10.004@154mph 2012. & still need driving lessons
    BEEyond ENG>>
    Special thanks to Bee/Beeyond Engineering. Waldo, Henry, and the crew!

Beeyond Engineering
    dang simon don't get all bent up here. LMAO.

turtle: driving one for 10 minute doesn't count. when you have time come to the shop and i'll give you a ride in one. remember just to call in advance.

come on now guys.... most guys that want to get into the import scene coming from the V8 crowd probably don't want to spend $20K+ for an evo or sti better yet over $10K. It's about bang for the buck.

just my choices and my reasoning..sorry if any are offended.

1) Civic
    2) Integra
    3) 240sx
    4) Civic

You can only have 2 of the following.

Fast

Reliable

Cheap

Beeyond Engineering
    Quote Originally Posted by nismodave View Post
    You can only have 2 of the following.

Fast

Reliable

Cheap

define "cheap"..........it's all relative

define "cheap"..........it's all relative
    True. Cheap for a shop owner is different that cheap for a customer.

BCM Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by BeesTwinEG View Post
    Still coming from a guy that drives a fuking wanna be Neon srt-4 ACR how suprising.... go play with your friend barnie

nice, but the same goes for us in the honda world. how many type r stickers have you come across? just give a little credit where its due, and while his neon isnt the fastest thing to grace our roads, at least its something he can take pride in.
    bewst. i haz it. yew needz it.

Quote Originally Posted by boostin350z View Post
    nice, but the same goes for us in the honda world. how many type r stickers have you come across? just give a little credit where its due, and while his neon isnt the fastest thing to grace our roads, at least its something he can take pride in.
    thanks! and to bee, it was a little longer than 10 minutes...

i'd love to get a ride in one of these "uber" handling hondas, but i've had my fill of them at all the auto-x'ing this year... keep in mind, the cars i'm basing my opinions are fully set-up street mod cars and sts civics.... they are THE best handling fwd's out there at the auto-x... i can say names, but they're much too far above the "bolt-on" suspensions they wouldn't take an off the shelf set of coilovers to bolt on their car...

and simon, srt4 wannabe? please... where's the turbo and ability to not turn? learn of which you speak before you open the mouth or slam your fists on the keyboard because someone's speaking the truth that a civic, albiet fast, isn't as fast as a vette, sti, evo...
    -josh

BCM Rseident Grill Master Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay's Avatar
    thanks! and to bee, it was a little longer than 10 minutes...

i'd love to get a ride in one of these "uber" handling hondas, but i've had my fill of them at all the auto-x'ing this year... keep in mind, the cars i'm basing my opinions are fully set-up street mod cars and sts civics.... they are THE best handling fwd's out there at the auto-x... i can say names, but they're much too far above the "bolt-on" suspensions they wouldn't take an off the shelf set of coilovers to bolt on their car...

and simon, srt4 wannabe? please... where's the turbo and ability to not turn? learn of which you speak before you open the mouth or slam your fists on the keyboard because someone's speaking the truth that a civic, albiet fast, isn't as fast as a vette, sti, evo...
    Well said

Calm down guys, Would a CRX be a good platform to mod? wanna do somthing different then just a hatch. Have you guys seen that Red saturn with a SBC in it at union grove? like 2 know how much fab work that was.
    If a hammer,crescent wrench,duct tape, or JB Weld can't fix it........Its gotta be a electrical problem

go play with your barnie
    you still is srt 4 acr wanna be. u need to think before you speak or slam the shit out of ur keyboard.

again hows ur gay buddy barnie doing?
    Personal Best - 10.4 @ 140mph(110oct)2010
    10.9 @ 130mph (92oct) 2010
    10.004@154mph 2012. & still need driving lessons
    BEEyond ENG>>
    Special thanks to Bee/Beeyond Engineering. Waldo, Henry, and the crew!

Beeyond Engineering
    it's cute how everyone chimes in and argues about different cases especially in a friendly way.

CRX is a good platform, but most are rusted out. Here is what I'd do with a CRX.

Chassis: $1000
    B16 DOHC Vtec engineswap: $1600
    Misc. parts for swap: $500
    Bolt-ons(header, muffler, etc): $800
    Suspension/Strut cars(tein street coilover kit..not cheap ones): $800
    Prothane bushings: $150
    Rims and Tires(ADR with Kumos): $500

low 14sec setup for about $5000 and you can claim a badass import

You'll be very satisfied with this basic build..........I've done some with cams/fine tuning and yielded high 13s timeslips. And yes you can still get your infamous Honda-type mpg at 30-35mpg....
    Last edited by Bee; 10-29-2008 at 01:57 PM.

Beeyond Engineering
    Quote Originally Posted by nismodave View Post
    True. Cheap for a shop owner is different that cheap for a customer.
    most anyone in the US can afford a $8k-$10k car loan........... now that is cheap for a fast import..I mean a fast honda. u don't have to own a business to get this loan.

all 3 traits are possible together when you want to make it possible!!!