Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Irish
    Go with the LS1 Rx7 combo... Fawk a honda.... they're stolen to easily.

Well I will put my bias in since I own a FD. With some minor weight reductions (removed p/s, a/c, precat, titanium exhaust, lightweight flywheel, CF battery) my car is around 2700 lbs if not less. I am currently running around 350hp with some basic upgrades. Some people on the 7 club have been running GT35R turbos which spool relatively quick and made 501hp at 21-22 psi with E85.

As Nismodave noted earlier that the apex seals are a problem with the rotaries however IMO its because most people do not care for them the way they should. The apex seals cannot handle detonation as a piston engine can. I have around 100k and if they way my car pulls is any indication on the health of the engine I am doing pretty good.

Reliability will increase also when you remove the super complicated sequential turbo system on the 7. Also from what people say the 7 gets decent mileage with single turbo considering the power it puts down. I do oil changes at around 1500 miles, fuel filter around 5000 miles and spark plugs every 3000 miles.

The most important part is the TUNE. A rotary shop needs to do the tune, you cannot just take it to any dyno and have it done. There are a couple basemaps out their for the apexi PFC engine management system, which make your car run overly rich, which is a good starting point

There that is my minimalistic experience on the 7 thus far.
    "What goes around, comes around."

1993 Mazda Rx7 "The fun, impractical car"
    2007 Mazdaspeed3 GT "Daily Driver"

2JZ plus a small single is 480WHP (on pump gas) all day and is super reliable, spools fast, etc... You're also not even touching the upper limits of the drivetrain at that power level. Heck, I was pushing 423WHP with my stock twins @ 19psi (still within the reliability range for the stockers). That consisted of Intake, Exhaust, Downpipe, Boost Controller, SAFC-2. If you're looking for an import to make power with, the 2JZ is where it's at. Although, having said that, the 350z's are showing promise as well.

So it sounds like the AWD eclipse isnt a good choice. The RX7 ran 11.50s but not relaible. plus its doesnt look as good as it used to cause of neglect. Its got wiring issues where it wont start I guess. it comes with a RACE ported rotary? It has a cage and autometers and whole bunch of stuff I dont know whadafa it does. He wants 10 for a salvage title. It does look like the one from FF though. I just cant see buyin it for 10.
    If a hammer,crescent wrench,duct tape, or JB Weld can't fix it........Its gotta be a electrical problem

Personally get a bone stock 7 if that's what you decide on. Race port could be a street port which is a bit more aggressive than a stock port. IDK about the cage and everything either.
    "What goes around, comes around."

1993 Mazda Rx7 "The fun, impractical car"
    2007 Mazdaspeed3 GT "Daily Driver"

Boost went where again? Silver86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheRxForSpeeed View Post
    Well I will put my bias in since I own a FD. With some minor weight reductions (removed p/s, a/c, precat, titanium exhaust, lightweight flywheel, CF battery) my car is around 2700 lbs if not less. I am currently running around 350hp with some basic upgrades. Some people on the 7 club have been running GT35R turbos which spool relatively quick and made 501hp at 21-22 psi with E85.

As Nismodave noted earlier that the apex seals are a problem with the rotaries however IMO its because most people do not care for them the way they should. The apex seals cannot handle detonation as a piston engine can. I have around 100k and if they way my car pulls is any indication on the health of the engine I am doing pretty good.

Reliability will increase also when you remove the super complicated sequential turbo system on the 7. Also from what people say the 7 gets decent mileage with single turbo considering the power it puts down. I do oil changes at around 1500 miles, fuel filter around 5000 miles and spark plugs every 3000 miles.

The most important part is the TUNE. A rotary shop needs to do the tune, you cannot just take it to any dyno and have it done. There are a couple basemaps out their for the apexi PFC engine management system, which make your car run overly rich, which is a good starting point

There that is my minimalistic experience on the 7 thus far.

well said...
    - 86' rx7 - 06' mustang GT - 04' xterra SE -

Thanx 4 the input. I think gonna do some more research on things. I was looking at LS1 conversion for the 7's and there like 2500 on Grannys site. I cant do a acura cause friend did one. I think I'll kick back a while, and put a import back on the things to do list. Thanx guys
    If a hammer,crescent wrench,duct tape, or JB Weld can't fix it........Its gotta be a electrical problem

You could also do a MKIII Supra and do a LS1 conversion.

My fd weighed in at 2750 with ~ 1/2 tank of fuel and has 50/50 f/r weight distribution. I don't have a/c or powersteering though.

I would go with hinson's stuff over grannies if you go that route. Check out v8rx7forum.com
    '94 6 liter 7 sold!
    '04 evo rs
    ml55 amg

Thanx, Im just gonna take a breather. Im used to fox mustang prices intstead of import prices. Its a good possibility that My next ride will be an import though

what about a Mazda Miata with a 5.0 302? since your familiar with how to make power out of it?
    2jz240sx
    Quote Originally Posted by BOSS LX View Post

Remember, "if it was easy, it wouldn't be cool!"
    wi240sx.OMGforum.net

My crazy Ideas: Rx7 LS1 or 302 novi 2000. I think the Del sol look cool but nooo ballls. A 300zx,Acura is out cause friend is doing one Talked to a eclipse guru and he told me the reason mitsu's walk crank is because of stiff pressure plates. So I dont wanna get one of those. I thought of A civic hatch but everybody does those also. Ill figure it out though just gotta do more research on all of these cars and combos to see whats out there. With all the Letters and symbols guys say when the talk about there engine its kind of like Huh? like I said just perusing options for right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprayaway Fox View Post
    My crazy Ideas: Rx7 LS1 or 302 novi 2000. I think the Del sol look cool but nooo ballls. A 300zx,Acura is out cause friend is doing one Talked to a eclipse guru and he told me the reason mitsu's walk crank is because of stiff pressure plates. So I dont wanna get one of those. I thought of A civic hatch but everybody does those also. Ill figure it out though just gotta do more research on all of these cars and combos to see whats out there. With all the Letters and symbols guys say when the talk about there engine its kind of like Huh? like I said just perusing options for right now.
    That's weird most people "move up" from imports to muscle cars. Don't ya think it'd be kind of a step back unless you did a v8 swap into a rwd import? Either way looks like you know what you're doing nonetheless.

BCM Cruiser
    im a sucker for the rx7 w/ ls swap. but in terms of prices, honda is the way to go for cheap speed. ive never experienced such a thing where a complete motor+tranny+ecu costs less than my exhaust : (
    bewst. i haz it. yew needz it.

I got a ride in my friends acura and that makes was detuned to 440-450 at wheels. It runs on E85 and it has made 580 whp but it was undrivable. I asked him what gas milage he gets since he put some Ball Bearing turbo on it and he said 29 mpg....Long as you dont get into the boost. I was impressed since it idles and sounds like a stock acura. It is reliable too. He drives it to work everyday with no problems. Just the milage and power impresses me so thats why I am getting into it a lil more. Plus another friend is doing a 300zx that is "Secret" which means it will prolly be crazy. So might have to try one out.
    The acura wants to race my white one and I told him it wouldnt be woth his gas cause it would stomp my car.
    Last edited by Sprayaway Fox; 09-16-2008 at 01:08 AM.

What does the acura look like? Is it around our neck of the woods?

Mikey: Sprarkly blue civic same color cage, C5 tailights in rear, Transplanted type R front end, white rims tuned down 440 ish P Town
    Dustin: RX7 Red with gold rims black cage goes 11's with room still for more boost O town
    Steve: older RX7 LT1 5 speed, primer black, its his drift car but drives it on street, handbrake and all lol S Town
    Matt?: Yellow conquest thats in the Dyno forum, havent met him yet but he knows me threw his brother and stories swapped between mutuals.
    Justin: 1999 blue purple civic, worked, Surpercharged Nitrous HG
    Charles: black VW carrado Totally built has teething problems last time i heard but it was out. Cascade
    Nate: 300 ZX white built bottom end twin turbo not done yet Falls
    Nates brother: Civ hatch 1.8 GSR trans, Turbo 1 size bigger than cummins diesel, setup owner built. Falls
    Mike: Tilt nose civic, purple, WAS built, he sold it to a guy that blew it up and put stock engine in. Rip snortin Racing. Fondu

There out there just gotta find them. They dont go to shows because all of the posers that put the fake NOS tank in the back and win a trophy, plus the old guys that talk BS about them when they walk by the car. Most of these cars look stock, jus lowered and nice rims and paint, nothing crazy.
    Last edited by Sprayaway Fox; 09-16-2008 at 04:00 AM. Reason: Towns

Probably have seen some of them. Does the vw guy work at import minded? I see that car everyday on my way to work. The other's I'm not sure if I have seen them. Do they all live around plymouth?

Quote Originally Posted by Sprayaway Fox View Post
    So it sounds like the AWD eclipse isnt a good choice.
    There are thousands in the 12's that would disagree with you :P

$3500 is way too much for a 1st gen though.
    _] Jeff
    _] '08 Audi A4 S-Line
    _] '98 Eclipse Spyder GS-T
    _] '93 Toyota Camry
    www.flickr.com/photojeffic

Grandpa Grocery Getter 2.0 wrath's Avatar
    How much are you looking to spend?

There are plenty of odd things to pick.

Turbocharged Solstice or Sky
    GenIII or GenIV into a Solstice or Sky
    GenIII or GenIV into a C4 Corvette
    GenIII or GenIV into a 70s Nova
    GenIII or GenIV into a Colorado or Canyon
    GenIII or GenIV into a Fiero

There are tons of options to choose from. It's just do you want to go cookie cutter and how much do you want to spend.
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.