9C1 Driver

Bearing race replacement, need some guidance

I'm trying to replace the races for my front wheel bearings, and I can't get the damn outter race out. I've tried heating the rotor, tapping it with a steel punch.. brass punches don't work well, I just destroy them tapping at it.

I even put some PB Blaster on it and it wont budge. Part of the problem is that the back side of the race is not flat.. it is angled. So any time you it it with a tool the tool slides off. The replacement races are flat... but that doesn't help me right now.

The inner race tapped right out without too much effort.

Any ideas?

Use a air hammer and a flat tip and go around the race till it comes out or use a chisel tip and kinda cut it without doing damage to the rotor and then it should tap out.Or if all else fails buy a new rotor!!!!
    http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic372_2.gif

9C1 Driver
    I beat the everloving crap out of it with a piece of brass stock and it finally came out. Smashed my thumb up pretty good though in the process.

Good to hear umm about the race not your thumb
    http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic372_2.gif

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    If you run into that problem again, you can use a small die grinder to grind some material away from the shoulder where the bearing seats. You can make two grooves, about 1/4 inch wide, one on each side to make it easier to get behind the race with a punch and walk it out. The race does not need a full circle of shoulder behind it.
    Once the race is out, check for burrs on the shoulder that would keep the new race from seating squarely. You can check if the new race is seated by trying to slide a .002 inch thickness gage between the race and the shoulder. It should not fit.
    Of course, it is always easier to grind the grooves with the race out to make it easier next time. That never happens.