Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down New EPA Standards for 2010 mean Cats for lawn mowers, boats, garden equipment

Well this pretty much sucks.

EPA Tightens Standards For Non-Vehicle Exhaust Emissions
    9/4/2008

By Siobhan Hughes Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES
    ST. PAUL, MINN. (Dow Jones)--The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency on Thursday issued long-awaited rules aimed at reducing pollution from lawn mowers, speed boats and other garden and marine equipment.

The agency estimated that the new standards would save about 190 million gallons of gasoline a year and improve public health by lowering the release of emissions such as nitrogen oxide into the atmosphere. The rules will take effect in 2010 and 2011.

"EPA's new small engine standards will allow Americans to cut air pollution as well as grass," EPA Administrator Stephen Johnson said in a statement. "These standards help fight smog in our neighborhoods and waterways as we continue to improve the environmental landscape."

The EPA said that manufacturers would likely for the first time use catalytic converters in many small types of watercraft and in lawn and garden equipment. The EPA said it determined that the strategy was feasible and safe.

The new small-engine rules have been long-awaited by environmentalists, who see the standards as an instance of tough regulation by the Bush administration's EPA. The EPA issued the new standards in the last four months of the Bush administration, which has been attacked by environmentalists who say that the agency hasn't done enough to curb pollution. The EPA estimates the annual costs to implement the standards would be $236 million, when fuel savings are included in the calculations.
    I wonder what all this smog equipment is going to do to retail prices, power output, and repair costs? Obviously the $236 million ultimately comes right out of consumers & taxpayers pocketbooks.
    Last edited by Syclone0044; 09-04-2008 at 05:58 PM.
    Josh
    91 GMC Syclone, full street trim, full accessories, stock bottom end.
    11.45 @ 117.7 57mm PT51 turbo at 20 PSI, 93 octane street tune w/alcohol injection. D.I.Y. Budget build, <$4500 under the hood complete.

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    your $80 gas weedwacker will now be $120.....
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

It was inevitable, but this news also makes me curious about the ban on 2-cylce engines. I thought that it was supposed to take effect the same time.....

Not to be taken serious Karps TA's Avatar
    I'd expect a bigger increase then $40. Especially if the commodity pricing continues to rise. Cats use plenty of precious metals in them making them expensive.

It'll certainly hurt us at Briggs in the future. Although smart people will buy equipment before that date. So we might end up with higher demand in the near future.

And you can thank the fruits and nuts in Cali for this.
    Ex-Trans Am owner.

So are we going to have to drive our lawn mowers and weed whackers to the emissions testing stations?

Why the hell are they doing that anyway... don't they realize that catalytic converters cause more CO2 to be produced?

R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar
    Unbelievable
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

What would happen if these companies that produce small engines just tell the EPA to phuck off.

I made this post all by myself with no supervision.

Are you serious...??? Try NOT paying your taxes and see what happens, in a nutshell you don't mess with the gov't.....

Quote Originally Posted by ND4SPD View Post
    So are we going to have to drive our lawn mowers and weed whackers to the emissions testing stations?
    only if they were made after 2002, or are primarily used to cut the grass in SE wisconsin
    70 cutlass 442- dads car
    95 stang- Stock long block 195,XXX miles
    03 XC600 - bone stock (still faster then smokin ram)
    03 Polaris predator- 4.250 bore (assembly required)
    84- 4 eyed

What I keep my lawn mower up north?
    2012 Street Glide
    1971 Vista Cruiser 455
    2003 Duramax Dually Silverado 4x4
    1986 442

CobraSnake
    Quote Originally Posted by Car Guy View Post
    Are you serious...??? Try NOT paying your taxes and see what happens, in a nutshell you don't mess with the gov't.....
    thats because the gov't is like the fricken mafia. Does everyone know that there is NO LAW that states we have to pay income taxes?? Well there isn't, yet if you don't pay your income taxes then you are SCREWED!!!! I love the country yet hate ALOT of people that run it. I'm moving or i'm getting my job to pay me under the table.

Mark

For CA, on anyhting under 225ccs we have to produce engines with complete vapor recovery systems with charcoal filled gas caps that are tethered, flourinated fuel tanks, low perm fuel line etc... Now if the EPA adopts the FULL program that CARB has in place, then yes this vapor control shit will trickle into the rest of the 49 state engines. Right now most mfgs are lobbying with the EPA to try to NOT adopt 100% of the CARB rules. Our engines are clean enough or we use points on dirty ones to not have to use cats yet. We do have some cat equipped mufflers sold into europe though.
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    cats?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

i wonder how much a 4 stroke string trimmer will weight with all that emission crap on it .
    i better start working out

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedstang View Post
    i wonder how much a 4 stroke string trimmer will weight with all that emission crap on it .
    i better start working out
    Those are exempt from the major SMOG equipment, being its handheld.
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

Why are we bothering with pollution control! India and China are just going to melt the sky away anyway.
    67 Chevy II in a million pieces :: My Blog

Some day even the cows will have to have catalytic converters cybernetically attached to their asses. They produce more greenhouse gas than all the cars and IC engines on the planet combined.

Quote Originally Posted by ND4SPD View Post
    Some day even the cows will have to have catalytic converters cybernetically attached to their asses. They produce more greenhouse gas than all the cars and IC engines on the planet combined.
    Don't forget about one of the all time heavyweight champions of toxic emissions..... volcanos.

My buddy in CA just got nailed for running farmers disel, there was a car parked on the on ramp of the freeway with sniffers and they nailed him, he got fined pretty good and they took his gas!! So I guess thats what the government will probably be doing, driving around with sniffers and if your lawn mower isn't up to par they will probably take it.

Toyota announces the development of a new hybrid leaf blower!!!
    When Injustice Becomes Law; Rebellion Becomes Duty