Bob the Builder says: 88Nightmare's Avatar

quick 4L60E question

the trans pump.... is it running whenever the truck is running, or, does the truck have to be running and out of park? Is it pumping with the engine running and the trans in neutral, or does it have to be in a gear other then park and neutral?
    Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    All democrats like to work on wood, zing!
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take from those willing to work and give to those that are not - Thomas Jefferson
    2008 Yamaha FZ6
    2005 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 duramax

should be pumping when the truck is in park

If the engine is running it's pumping, why do you ask...???

Quote Originally Posted by Car Guy View Post
    If the engine is running it's pumping, why do you ask...???
    I was helping a friend to a trans flush on his truck.... he pulled his cooler lines on his dodge and had one dumping into a bucket for the bad fluid, and then had the other line being supplied with fresh oil, and he said his truck needs to be in anything other then park... im not sure if hes right or wrong, but it just made me curious about my own truck, thats all.
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take from those willing to work and give to those that are not - Thomas Jefferson
    2008 Yamaha FZ6

dodge needs to be in nuetral or drive for it too pump a 4l60e pumps all the time

I personally don't think that 'method' of changing fluid does anything but make a mess, but other people might say different.....

Quote Originally Posted by Car Guy View Post
    I personally don't think that 'method' of changing fluid does anything but make a mess, but other people might say different.....
    well he dropped the pan to change the filter, and he does this other method to ensure he "fully" changes the fluid, including everything in the lines and cooler, so it gets all the dirt and old fluid out. it really wasnt that messy at all.... specially with two people doing it
    2008 Yamaha FZ6

i would have flushed first then filter

and how does that make sense? then after you get all your fresh fluid in there, you gotta take it all back out to get the pan off and get access to the filter......
    2008 Yamaha FZ6

yea but think of all the shit that that got pushed into the new filter when u flushed it

dropping the pan and cleaning it first then changing the filter, then flushing will get most of the debris/dirt out beforehand.... flushing it after dropping the pan simply ensures you get 100% of all the old fluid out... whether or not its overkill, the jury is still out on that one
    2008 Yamaha FZ6

If you want to give the transmission system a good cleaning there are cleaners that you can run through BEFORE you change out the filter/fluid. That way any debris that is 'removed' from the system gets caught up in the filter.....

Anyone know how to change trans fluid on a Saab?
    Thanks,
    Joe Reichard
    2007 Saab 9-5 Aero
    2010 Saab 9-3 2.0T 6-Speed Manual... It's my wife's and she lets me drive it from time to time...
    2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen Convertible
    1995 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible