Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

just broke another 8.8

is this just bad luck or what? this is the third rear end i broke in this car in probably 1000 miles of driving and this one never even made it to track
    anyone know what could be causing this to happen ? it only puts down may bee 250hp and i don't beat on it that hard

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Improperly set up rear? Find the common element in all three failures (same mechanic, same supplier, etc) IF there is one and that's probably your culprit.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

time to pm portponies for a good one
    EMT/Fire fighters- " this ain’t a job. It ain’t an occupation. It’s a calling. A need. A desire that you feel in your bones and your brains and your nut-sack."Tommy Gavin(Denis Leary)

yep, there are 8.8s in the single digits, no reason for you to be breakign 3 of them
    70 cutlass 442- dads car
    95 stang- Stock long block 195,XXX miles
    03 XC600 - bone stock (still faster then smokin ram)
    03 Polaris predator- 4.250 bore (assembly required)
    84- 4 eyed

What is breaking exactly, gears, diff, ?

Quote Originally Posted by HRSEPLA View Post
    What is breaking exactly, gears, diff, ?
    i haven't opened this one up yet. but the last one the caps broke and the ring and pinon got crunched and this one sounds about the same

and to top it off my dd broke down this morning about halfway to work

off to a great week

Definately check the install setup as well as making sure the entire rear / axle tubes are straight.
    Is the same person installing these? Maybe there is an issue there?

I put the rear end in, it was a junkyard rear end, the traction lock still worked so I would guess it had under 200k miles on it. All I did was bolt it in and bleed the brakes.
    I guess we did put an alum dif cover/main cap girdle on it.

My bet is on an ugly wheelhop session, same way the last one broke.

Race that 347 race car with the stock 225 hp MARKY MARK, 90,800 on a 8.8.

Quote Originally Posted by Windsors 03 Cobra View Post
    I put the rear end in, it was a junkyard rear end, the traction lock still worked so I would guess it had under 200k miles on it. All I did was bolt it in and bleed the brakes.
    I guess we did put an alum dif cover/main cap girdle on it.

My bet is on an ugly wheelhop session, same way the last one broke.

Race that 347 race car with the stock 225 hp MARKY MARK, 90,800 on a 8.8.
    nope just crusin in 5th with my wife and kids in the car and it just started bangin

zak please give me a call and no its not about the mustang

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Are you guys putting in different axle lube or anything when you guys swap out?
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Dusting off my knick knack... MurphysLaw88GT's Avatar
    gear oil is for big pussays only

Nah of course we put the 85w-90 Gear Lube in there, no friction modifier tho. Poor bastard bought a $100 some dollar diff cover.
    And Dan, you didnt break the 2nd rear end we took that one out cause you didn't like the one wheel wonder.

Sorry to see you giving up on the car, its going to be a good starting point on the cheap for someone.

if your track-lok is weak and you do some crazy one wheel peels, you can kill them pretty quick.

Dusting off my knick knack... MurphysLaw88GT's Avatar
    Durty Durt

Check out Trans mount. Side load can fuggm up. But sounds like rears not set up right to me. Buddys do doughnuts alot on dragradials with no problem with around 450 hp so sounds like a install problem.
    If a hammer,crescent wrench,duct tape, or JB Weld can't fix it........Its gotta be a electrical problem

READ If you didnt sell it yet, are you installing the dif cover/ preload caps to the correct FT LBS? that will eat them up if ya go just to what fells good with a socket wrench..
    If a hammer,crescent wrench,duct tape, or JB Weld can't fix it........Its gotta be a electrical problem

Quote Originally Posted by Sprayaway Fox View Post
    READ If you didnt sell it yet, are you installing the dif cover/ preload caps to the correct FT LBS? that will eat them up if ya go just to what fells good with a socket wrench..
    Its not the rear end, its deffintaly from the transmission/ clutch area, I will be pulling out thursday so i will let everyone know what kind of carnage i find...
    70 cutlass 442- dads car
    95 stang- Stock long block 195,XXX miles
    03 XC600 - bone stock (still faster then smokin ram)
    03 Polaris predator- 4.250 bore (assembly required)
    84- 4 eyed

Alritey

Ah yes the World POS T5.

Eigther way, I think it is time to pm portponies and get it done right......I beat the hell out of my 88, took it down the track several times on dr's, took it on lond distance trips, and did brake stands several times on the rear end/ clutch set up he did for me and never had a problem. He is the only person who I will take my car to for trans/rear end work
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    stew - continuing confirmation of the hypothesis that marbles aren't sharp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Jim you build... break... and rebuild cars faster than I can put one together.