01 Neon No Start

01 Neon no start, got spark, got fuel pressure got no injector pulse.
    Also will not crank with key alltho momentary 12v+ is being sent to the starter relay in the power distribution box when the key is turned to start.
    I can make the starter go bypassing the relay in the power distribution box.
    It did run bypass starting it before and the starter not working from the ign sw has been a intermittent problem for awhile. Now it doesn't run and the starter function is non existent from the ign sw.

Any insight ? My POS OTC Genisys only goes up to 00.

turt mcgurt - zenki master TURTLE's Avatar
    sounds like possibly the ASD relay... have you tried to swap out some of the relays?

also, did you replace anything before this happened? i've got some spare parts from my 02, if they may help, but the 02's were kinda the bastard childs of the 2gn neons...
    -josh

'02 Neon ES(ACR/T) - R.I.P. 1-18-08
    '97 Neon Sport(track slut) - axles and brakes v2.0
    '98 Neon R/T sedan(DD) - "artie"
    "Speak softly, and carry a big stick" - Teddy Roosevelt

I actually got the car after it was ditched after replacing the bent rear strut and removing the broken front sway bar I went to start it and it started and died a few seconds later each time for about 3 times (it had been sitting for a month and was really low on fuel but I suspect not low enough to cause this stalling problem).
    Then the key stopped working so I bypass started it under the hood at the relay, and it started and kept running this time, took it up and down the road and gave it back to my cousin.

2 days later it died and that starter never worked fromt he key again, I was hoping to just bypass start and maybe put an engine start button on the dash only to find out not only does it not crank from the key now but the bastard doesnt run now either.
    I switched a few relaays around, first the A/C to the starter relay and nothing, then I swapped the horn relay in which I know worked as I honked the horn and the starter still does not work from the key, but I got switched power at the relay when the key is in the START position ?
    Does the relay feed the thru the safety nuetral switch ?
    Where and what is the ASD relay.
    55+#'s of fuel pressure.

turt mcgurt - zenki master TURTLE's Avatar
    if you've got fuel pressure, the asd is working... sounds like you've got a bum key... your key has the big grey fob on it right? that should be the security part of it... the reason it would start and run the first few times for 3 seconds, is that's the computer's time to figure out if the key is programmed to the car or not... best bet would be buddy up with a chrysler tech, get them to re-program the key, and try that....

and for the record the asd relay should be also called a fuel pump relay... it's just the old fwd mopar guy in me talking jibberish about the asd... :
    -josh

'02 Neon ES(ACR/T) - R.I.P. 1-18-08
    '97 Neon Sport(track slut) - axles and brakes v2.0
    '98 Neon R/T sedan(DD) - "artie"
    "Speak softly, and carry a big stick" - Teddy Roosevelt

I kinda thought that anti theft crap was causing this issue, starter kill and injector pulse just in case ?
    Imma tell him to tow it to the dodge garage.

Its the KEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HVAC...
    Neons...
    House music...

Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    - More naked bitches

Chryslers "Sentry" system sucks just like all the other domestic "VATS" systems (except Cadilac). The resistor
    has taken one too many hits.

If they pay to have a dealer repair it have them disable
    the Sentry system (may loose remote door lock option),
    with Lexus' easier to steal than a Neon they dont need
    a theft deterent system on a Neon.

Unlike GM's the Chrysler can be hotwired using a relay
    that denergizes when the key is off, Ive never done it
    but have heard it from more than one savy tech.
    http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/
    Watching the country collapse in front of me while nobody else notices...

What a PITA this high tech junk is, I mostly don't like VAT Systems except for the fact that half the column and lock cylinder mounting is plastic and easy to rip apart for the common kraK head I guess they are a necessary evil.

Preciate the help guys, not having a scan tool to work on a car really sucks, I tried to run it obd2 generic but it would work, guess its time to upgrade OTC pathfinder crap.

i was told today that there is a switch near the hood latch that will not allow the car to run with the hood up or even turn over

I doubt thats true...I drove my car with no hood just to make sure everything worked after my oil pump replacement

I did see that hood switch and wondered what it was for also, I also doubt that switch would disable crank or run and I have tried making this car go in all ways. Guess what ? The POS been sitting in sitting in the weeds next to my dads barn for 2 weeks, guess the car dont matter much to the owner either, too bad seems like a decent little car.
    Power windows in front and manual windows in the back tho WTF ?
    I am sure the PATS system is messed up and probably be best fixed by the Dodge garage.

Again got spark and runs good when you add fuel, 60psi fuel pressure and no injector pulse.

Quote Originally Posted by Windsors 03 Cobra View Post
    Power windows in front and manual windows in the back tho WTF ?
    Welcome to 1995....lol....yeah one of the many ways Dodge cut costs to make the neon cheaper. As for the problems you're experiencing....I don't know what to tell you.....maybe post on neons.org - might have an answer there.