Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    In your face, Space Coyote.... Voodoo Chick's Avatar
    It's getting way too common in this era for people to be accepting, desensitized, and actually amused by gruesome things. This "I think it's funny as hell" mentality scares me a little, because think about it, and I mean really think..........what type of groundwork is this laying for the future? What will be "funny as hell" and easy to accept 20 years from now? Things start small, and get bigger.......right now, it's blowing up prairie dogs, running wild pigs over with trucks, etc, ad nauseum...........what's next? How far will this desensitization go? If little things start to slide past, and become "OK," eventually, we are going to find ourselves perfectly accepting of far worse. Maybe a few of you reading this would find throwing unarmed people to hungry lions amusing, too.........It really makes one wonder.

Maybe things will come full circle. Do you remember that in the Colosseum they used to entertain huge crowds by having humans fight animals to the death just like you suggested? (It might have been lions but I can't remember exactly.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladiator :
    Gladiators were professional fighters in ancient Rome who fought against each other, wild animals, and condemned criminals, sometimes to the death, for the entertainment of spectators. These fights took place in arenas in many cities from the Roman Republic period through the Roman Empire.
    Strange world we live in!! The strangest part IMO is the arbitrary distinction between what we call "natural" and "unnatural". To all animals besides us, everything is natural by default no matter what happens! Think about it.

PS: I'm definitely on the side of guys who don't want to see some furry little creature get maimed/tortured. But I am not entirely sure why I feel that way. The same creature could get eaten while it's still alive by a fox, wolf, or alligator.
    Last edited by Syclone0044; 08-20-2008 at 01:15 AM.

I know what you mean. I guess for me, I feel like maybe we as the so-called "higher intelligence" creatures should have more sense, and more respect. Yes, a prairie dog is likely to get eaten by a predator, but the predator does it for survival, not just for some sick, perverse amusement. I think we are rapidly approaching the return to the colisseum-style gladiator spectacles. But, will it even end there? What happens when even that is no longer "thrilling" enough?? You're right, this really is a strange world.........

Quote Originally Posted by 7398455 View Post
    I know what you mean. I guess for me, I feel like maybe we as the so-called "higher intelligence" creatures should have more sense, and more respect. Yes, a prairie dog is likely to get eaten by a predator, but the predator does it for survival, not just for some sick, perverse amusement.
    HA!!! You've never watched my cat hunt bird, or rabbit, or chipmunk, or anything else. He gets all the food he could ever need in his dish, yet I find dead animals all over the yard. I caught him in the act one day, and watched as he tossed a chipmunk in the air time after time, then batted it around for a while before eventually walking away. Looked look amusement to me!!! But sweet mother nature wouldn't allow such a thing to happen would she!?!?!?

Irish
    Quote Originally Posted by fivonut View Post
    HA!!! You've never watched my cat hunt bird, or rabbit, or chipmunk, or anything else. He gets all the food he could ever need in his dish, yet I find dead animals all over the yard. I caught him in the act one day, and watched as he tossed a chipmunk in the air time after time, then batted it around for a while before eventually walking away. Looked look amusement to me!!! But sweet mother nature wouldn't allow such a thing to happen would she!?!?!?
    The cat is not packing a .50 cal either.

He isn't killing them humanly either!! He toys with them like he gets some "sick, perverse amusement" from it. But, someone else would have us believe that predators don't ever do that, only sick perverse lowly humans....

Irish
    Yep!

Breecher_7
    I suggest we try this. I supply the .50, you supply the prarie Dogs.....

Quote Originally Posted by Breecher_7 View Post
    I supply the .50
    Which variety????

I think this thread has really out-lived it's usefullness..........It's starting to feel like one of those bad "Saturday Night Live" skits that just goes on TOO LONG. And to fivonut : I DID NOT nor would I suggest that Mother Nature is "sweet," nor am I a sugary-sweet little tree-hugger, so please do not imply such, as I am reasonably certain we have never met, so how could you possibly assume anything? One only need to witness any type of birth to see what Nature is all about..........and she is not gentle. There. I, for one, am now officially through with this thread. Fini.

you spelled finish wrong. you forgot the "sh"

Quote Originally Posted by 7398455 View Post
    I think this thread has really out-lived it's usefullness..........
    At least we agree on something....