Good Trans Shop?

Hey I'm a noob to the forum, does anyone know of a good trans shop in the Milwaukee area with experience in the LS1 auto trans. I want to get the shifts firmed up, and a box kit will not address every area of the trans. I was just told by A&A that I was nuts for running a 3200 stall if I'm only putting maybe 330-350 to the ground, they obviously don't know the powerband characteristics of the LS1 so I don't want to take my baby there.
    2000 Camaro Z28 13.1 @ 103 (Stock with stall ONLY)
    LPP LTs and True Duals, LS6 Intake, K&N FIPK, Vigilante 3200 stall, Built 4L60E with Street/Strip Kit from Pro Built Automatics (by Tom), Tom Tune

Quote Originally Posted by J-Bru-Ha Z-28 View Post
    Hey I'm a noob to the forum, does anyone know of a good trans shop in the Milwaukee area with experience in the LS1 auto trans. I want to get the shifts firmed up, and a box kit will not address every area of the trans. I was just told by A&A that I was nuts for running a 3200 stall if I'm only putting maybe 330-350 to the ground, they obviously don't know the powerband characteristics of the LS1 so I don't want to take my baby there.
    just change the line pressure in the computer,stock trans can hold quite a bit.

a few of us have put good power to the ground with a stock 4l60e and a good convertor.
    Check out our NEW online store!
    http://store.clocksoffracing.com/

I thought changing the line pressure in the computer only dealt with partial throttle operation, at WOT it really doesn't help at all. I am looking to shave some time of my ET due to long soft shifts, plus a good neck snap always feels good
    LPP LTs and True Duals, LS6 Intake, K&N FIPK, Vigilante 3200 stall, Built 4L60E with Street/Strip Kit from Pro Built Automatics (by Tom), Tom Tune

ditch the hypertech and have someone tune the shift tables with HP tuners.

super hard shifts feel awesome,but to a point will start damaging hard parts.
    Check out our NEW online store!
    http://store.clocksoffracing.com/

I thought changing the line pressure in the computer only dealt with partial throttle operation, at WOT it really doesn't help at all. I am looking to shave some time of my ET due to long soft shifts, plus a good neck snap always feels good

Well its a balance... Ideally changing hydraulic functions via shift kit is best. But you can firm shifts with slightly more line pressure, lowering shift times etc... Cranking the line pressure is NOT the answer though. It usually will increase the trans temp ALOT due to the pump is working at max and, hydraulics under pressure will create alot of heat. Cutting back torque managment from 30% to 15% on the 1-2 will improve shift quality as well as getting rid of abuse mode if over 1500 RPM's too, it will fubar the timing if your brake torquing it over that from a stop. A firm bump into gear is ideal, barking the tires on the 1-2 is overkill.

The HPP III is probably doing most of this but will not eliminate the TM however.

Your stock trans will be your best trans. Preserve it.
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

I don't necessarily want to chirp every gear, but I want to shift fast and firm.

Preserving the trans is what I am trying to do, that is why I want to get rid of the long soft shifts what wear out the clutch packs. I don't want neck breaking shifts because too hard a shift will be equally detrimental to the trans life.

Breecher_7
    Take it to charlie over at automatic transmission design (atd) in germantown.

Great work, Nice Guy!

Preserving the trans is what I am trying to do, that is why I want to get rid of the long soft shifts what wear out the clutch packs. I don't want neck breaking shifts because too hard a shift will be equally detrimental to the trans life.
    You can get what you need/want electronically. I can help you out with that part too if youd like.

Just toss a valvebody kit into it. If you want a built strong let me know--if you dont get at least a 12 bolt in the car --the rear end will grenade takeing out the trans with it "they always do" I have rebuilt tons of these things.
    If you spend any money --trust me and get a better rear end in it. PS AA SUX I have a 3600 stall in mine -trans cooler also is a must
    Ack back to the T/A gotta catch up now smells like a farm truck but still has giddy up

What exactly can you adjust electronically?

As for the trans cooler I already have one, what valve body kit would you suggest then, Trans-Go?

What exactly can you adjust electronically?

As for the trans cooler I already have one, what valve body kit would you suggest then, Trans-Go?
    Pretty much the same stuff GM engineer's see and can be tweaked. Shift firmness(force motor), Shift MPH for part throt and WOT, converter lock and unlock MPH, TM, Shift times, shift RPM's @ WOT etc...

Note this stuff will only help so long as the trans is in decent shape and has had proper maint... If its questionable, the changes will only be temporary and will degrade with time due to wear.

Trans-go kits are the most complete and easiest to do. PITA though when changing the servo springs on the side of the trans due to lack of room.

habitual line-stepper Mr. Brett's Avatar

+1 for Tom's transmission tuning. He helped my worn-out POS limp along for quite awhile until my cam/heads finally killed it.

Pissed off the admins and earned a time out.
    a trans tune will make that car feel like a whole new one. Do it, its worth the $$$$