Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drag Radials

turt mcgurt - zenki master TURTLE's Avatar
    i hope to have some more done on the car to join you there then... gotta be able to turn 'em over before you need the DR's.. lol
    -josh

'02 Neon ES(ACR/T) - R.I.P. 1-18-08
    '97 Neon Sport(track slut) - axles and brakes v2.0
    '98 Neon R/T sedan(DD) - "artie"
    "Speak softly, and carry a big stick" - Teddy Roosevelt

best 60ft with a 275/60 MT on the silver mustang was 1.39 on hp
    CKSC

The Yellow Tie Fighter
    Just thought I would add this...

Last time I was at the track with my car, I couldn't get the thing to hook up til ~75mph when I went into 3rd gear ... Had horrible 60s' and worse 330s..

Now I definately don't claim to be the best driver by any stretch of the imagination... but I will say if you have a short sidewall DR (for example I have 285/35/18) don't expect too much from the DRs... at those sizes they act much more like sticky street tires.

Quote Originally Posted by WhatsADSM View Post

Last time I was at the track with my car, I couldn't get the thing to hook up til ~75mph when I went into 3rd gear ... Had horrible 60s' and worse 330s..

Now I definately don't claim to be the best driver by any stretch of the imagination... but I will say if you have a short sidewall DR (for example I have 285/35/18) don't expect too much from the DRs... at those sizes they act much more like sticky street tires.
    someone here is catching on.
    Check out our NEW online store!
    http://store.clocksoffracing.com/

Post whore
    Ya man you should invest in some 15's with a meaty sidewall and you would have no problems like i said when we were at the track mang!!!
    Just a ten second neon

i was cutting 1.5 60's on a 100shot.... and 1.7's all day on motor.... and those were with 275/40/17 mt et streets
    Last edited by sloLs1; 08-06-2008 at 09:14 AM.
    '95 saturn < v8 GONE!
    '09 avalanche < tow rig
    '05 ion < DD
    '63 chevy ll < new project
    Some girls do want an 8 second ride

Quote Originally Posted by 25thannivZ28 View Post
    In the past, i've always gone around the box & just ran it as it is and my car always launched hard w/the BFG DR's. (personal best 60' = 1.732).
    My old BFG's were 275 40 17's.

My new ones are on my stock rims, 245 50 16

Post whore
    Quote Originally Posted by sloLs1 View Post
    i was cutting 1.5 60's on a 100shot.... and 1.7's all day on motor.... and those were with 275/40/17 mt et streets
    Guessing your suspension was setup pretty damn good and I see lots of people bitching about the Nitto's
    Just a ten second neon

Quote Originally Posted by WhatsADSM View Post

isn't that what a drag radial is

The Yellow Tie Fighter
    Quote Originally Posted by 07ROUSHSTG3 View Post
    isn't that what a drag radial is

Actually an ET street is much more like a slick. In fact it is essentially a slick with a few groves cut in it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1siksrt View Post
    Guessing your suspension was setup pretty damn good and I see lots of people bitching about the Nitto's
    and i like the et streets better for street driving... nothing compares to a true slick on the track!
    '95 saturn < v8 GONE!
    '09 avalanche < tow rig
    '05 ion < DD
    '63 chevy ll < new project
    Some girls do want an 8 second ride

Quote Originally Posted by Berettaspeed View Post
    Here is my thought, someone plz correct me if its not accurate, but since doing burn outs in my car and maybe others can really putt unwanted stress on the drivetrain. i was thinking of getting really nice autocrossing tires. only because i would think they are designed to grip in lower temps. i would think no burn outs needed.

i have been trying to find a straight answer. even emailing tire companies. no straight answer, LOL. they all say "the tire is not meant for this or that, but we do carry drag tires,"
    Doesn't work well. Even road race slicks (I have tried it lol) - you would think your logic is correct but two things make any type of road race or autocross tire terrible for the dragstrip. Those tires are designed to grip LATERALLY at speed, i.e. around corners - thus they have a STIFF sidewall so the tires don't sway.. Drag tires need to hook at launch, which is totally different and you want a soft/flexible sidewall, hence slicks wrinkle. Also, Autocross tires are a harder compound, even the soft ones. Again, designed for a lot of laps at speed unlike drag tires designed for really almost no distance whatsoever - drag tires are a really really soft compound.
    96 Viper GTS Underground Racing Twin 78mm Precision turbos, Proline 510 stroker-1483RWHP
    73 Challenger Bickel Chassis, Indy 572 HEMI-860HP
    67 Plymouth Fury Police Pursuit, Indy 505-600HP
    94 Stealth RT/TT built 6G72, 13G, FMIC
    75 Trailduster 440 Convertible
    92 Galant VR4 #848
    04 Neon SRT4 Mods!