CobraSnake

check engine light??

Hey I was driving to work today and I noticed my check engine light came on. I pulled over look under the hood but everything looks normal. The car drives just like it has been so I don't know whats going on? I just got my oil changed the other day and haven't driven it since then do you think that they could've done something when changing the oil?? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Mark

Not to be taken serious Karps TA's Avatar
    Gas cap tight?
    Ex-Trans Am owner.

CobraSnake
    Quote Originally Posted by Karps TA View Post
    Gas cap tight?
    yep thats the first thing I checked.

Mark

Pissed off the admins and earned a time out.
    Quote Originally Posted by CobraSnake View Post
    Hey I was driving to work today and I noticed my check engine light came on. I pulled over look under the hood but everything looks normal. <<<<<<<

Thanks
    Mark
    I thought you checked under the hood first. Oh well, It could be anything, go get it scanned and you will know for sure what it is

Stop on over I'll scan it, or you can find a parts store that scans CEL's and have them do it. Regardless you need to get the code # and then go form there.....

Last edited by Car Guy; 06-19-2008 at 01:34 PM.

You didn't change your own oil?? maybe the car is pi$$ed cause some else was touching it. Or the hacks at the oil change place messed up your car.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns, and my money. You can keep your change.

CobraSnake
    Quote Originally Posted by Feature Pony View Post
    You didn't change your own oil?? maybe the car is pi$$ed cause some else was touching it. Or the hacks at the oil change place messed up your car.
    it was 10 bucks for the oil change I would've spent more then that in oil. Plus i'm lazy.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by CobraSnake View Post
    it was 10 bucks for the oil change I would've spent more then that in oil. Plus i'm lazy.

Mark
    tsk tsk... that means they used the cheapest shit possible, and for all you know they may not have even changed shit. they could have let it sit in the garage for 25 mins and then pulled it around...
    Cars and Women are very similar, in the end my goal is to make them scream...

2000 Buick Regal LSE 80,000 miles.
    Performance Mods-U-bend delete, Filpped Motor Mounts, 180* T-Stat, S1 Voltage booster, Custom HAI, Autolite 105s. Appearance Mods-Custom Grille, Silver Stars, Tinted Headlights, Cleared Corners, 35% Tint.

CobraSnake
    Quote Originally Posted by mamboking View Post
    tsk tsk... that means they used the cheapest shit possible, and for all you know they may not have even changed shit. they could have let it sit in the garage for 25 mins and then pulled it around...
    no they had the garages open and I was chatting with the mechanic while he was doing it. I don't worry about that stuff that much because usually when I bring my car in all the mechanics are asking about it and they are usually helping with the change. I have never had a oil change that lasted longer then 10 minutes.

Mark

ill bet 02 sensor / emissions. Your car is SC'ed yes?

CobraSnake
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    ill bet 02 sensor / emissions. Your car is SC'ed yes?
    I bet your right and yes its SC'ed.

Mark

Bob the Builder says: 88Nightmare's Avatar
    go to autozone and have them scan the code.

then sell it and buy an f-body
    Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    All democrats like to work on wood, zing!
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take from those willing to work and give to those that are not - Thomas Jefferson
    2008 Yamaha FZ6
    2005 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 duramax

Post whore
    Take it to autozone and have them pull the code then look it up on the net..

Here's the code/description, but I didn't look into it anymore than that.....

P1443 ---> Evaporative emission control system - vacuum system, purge control solenoid or vapor management valve malfunction

Look at the hoses that go to the various bits of emission equipment. Might be a loose vacuum line or faulty clamp or the vapor return system line from the filler neck is fallen off,

Danielle... times change. Poncho's Avatar
    black electrical tape over the light.
    Well, at the very least, I have an interesting back story.

check the evap hoses for cracks. i had the same thing on my truck a while back, and some of the hoses were cracked.

CobraSnake
    k thanks guys I'll check when I get home from work.

Mark

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    or it has a vsv that is bad,which is more than likely the case,if they look ok and are functioning but the outer case is rusted badly chances are the strap around the vsv is putting pressure from the rusting on the soelenoid inside making it inop. unless you test it and its not working

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605