Typhoon Failed The Registration Emission Test

Ever since I bought my Ty I thought the exhaust smelled like it was running rich and I feared it would not pass emissions. So I waited until the last possible day they gave me to get it tested (today) and it only confirmed my suspicions... FAILED

It failed on the damn HC
    idle: 319.2
    2500rpm: 310.2
    Limit is 220

Plus I failed on part of the equipment. They said something about open air "blah" is not allowed on the vehicle. I don't remember exactly. Maybe, because of the intake with the cone air filter? (a previous owner put that on)

Where they say my equipment failed under their 9-Point Visual Equipment Inspection:

1. Positive Crankcase Ventilation System - Air cleaner is missing or unsealed. Wing nut(s) missing.

2. Air System - Air cleaner is missing or "unsealed" for a Pulse Air type system. Wing nut(s) missing.

3. Thermostatic Air Cleaner - Air cleaner is missing or "unsealed" for a Pulse Air type system. Wing nut(s) missing.

What the hell does it all mean? Never owned a non-OBD2 car or a vehicle that failed. Now my registration will probably be suspended until I can get it to pass.

That's what I get for buying a vehicle from an area that doesn't require regular emission tests and registering it in an area that does.
    92 GMC Typhoon #0013 - Finally Getting About 15lbs Of Boost After Way Too Long. Check Engine Light Still Haunting Me, Though.
    98 Dodge Neon - Former DD... RIP.
    95 Pontiac Trans Am - RWD & A V8... I Get It Now.

Apologizing For All My Past, Present, And Future Drunken Posts.
    12 Steps Is Way Too Many!

damm, that sucks. why didnt you register it in a non emmisions county?

Um, because... Well, it's because I'm incredibly stupid. It's my fault anyway. If I had done it earlier (in the 45 day period they give) I would have known sooner and had plenty of time to get it fixed. The guy giving me the test told me that if I failed the exhaust test it didn't really matter because they're gonna stop testing 1995s and older in July anyway. I'm just concerned as to what will happen when july comes and if I don't get it fixed how will I get my registration active again if it is suspended 'cause I failed emissions. Plus I'd like to know what the hell is under my hood that they said wasn't allowed on my vehicle.
    92 GMC Typhoon #0013 - Finally Getting About 15lbs Of Boost After Way Too Long. Check Engine Light Still Haunting Me, Though.

I'm thinking I'll just take it to one of the "recognized" repair shops and have them do whatever they've got to do.

I guess I'll be spending my stimulus check on gettin that taken care of. I did want to use it toward a helmet, gauges, stuff required to datalog and tune the truck, or the things I need to install my Ultimate Chip.

sh1t happens, right?

Cant you just wait till after they stop testing and give them the money and get new stickers ?

i have never heard of this kind of testing. they usually never look under the hood? Why did they do that? you can get it reregisterd after july and no emmisions for you.

depends on where you go, and how bad of a day someone is having. i had my heavily modified accord run, open intake, no EGR, header without carb stuff, etc etc, but the guy was cool and let me be, because it passed the roller. i took my 94 S-10 blazer with a cone filter on it, and they gave me shit about it until i told them to call a supervisor. its totally hit and miss with the visual inspection. as for passing the sniffer, i do believe you put some stuff in your gas tank and it will lower all that stuff. i think run really low on gas, and put in a few bottles of Heet. like i said, my info might be off, but i did it with Heet and i passed on another car. *waits for others to chime in*
    "A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Jeremy Clarkson

Senior Member..now yer posting! Kory 88Iroc lt1's Avatar
    As mentioned before. I believe that obd1 testing is going to be a bad memory as of july 1st. So just wait until then and go buy your stickers. problem solved.
    I wish they would have done this last summer, when it took me 10 trys to get my iroc to pass.
    Kory
    88 Iroc 94 lt1 Ai dominator heads,cam ported intake, 1.6 promag rrs,homebuilt equal length long tube headers, hooker catback, cutout, csi wp,t56, hurst shifter,street twin, ls1 brakes all around. homebuilt 8.8 rear with 4:10 fms gears. 12.74@111 350 rwhp/360rwtq New times and dyno numbers to come.

I build custom subframe connectors/headers

I already have my stickers, but the letter telling me the date I have to have it emission tested by said that if I don't pass by that date then my registration will be suspended. OPEN AIR INTAKE! That's what they said wasn't allowed on the vehicle... I think. I think it was the supervisor who said I couldn't have the open air. The tech guy didn't say anything about it to me, but it was some chick dressed in regular clothes who looked under my hood and later told me I couldn't have that. I don't think anyone would've been in a foul mood to try to be an ass to me because I was the 1st vehicle of the day in the OBD1 lane.

I'm not sure why they asked me to open my hood. It was after I asked if they were equipped for awd. he asked if there was a switch to turn it off and I said no. So later he tells me to pop the hood. Says they've got to check to make sure I have no "goodies" under there, because if I did I'd have to re-do it. I didn't do the rollers 'cause I guess they didn't have awd rollers and I just had to rev it to 2500rpm while in park.

I do kinda want to get fixed whatever is makin it run rich because I'm lucky to be gettin an average of 14mpg with premium right now and that gets expensive. It's supposed to be a 19/15mpg vehicle so if I could get my average mpg up to at least around 16 that would make me happy.

Thanks for the advice guys.

im sure they were being an ass because of the vehicle you have. haters!!

though i do wonder if inspections will be done on OBDI??? hmm

WHO LAUGHS LAST THINKS SLOWEST GRAMPS SS's Avatar

shit...and i'm putting on a cold air kit....if they look under the hood i fail...screw that...i'll take it off before the test....just had my SUV tested..and no loookie under hood...i went to the one on 76th street...NS...
    R.I.P BOB BUDDY

Everyday driver...2010 EXPLORER

Weekend car....1970 DUSTER 340 Now with a 416 w/ EFI SIX PACK

They have an AWD dyno to run it up to 2500???

I thought that the AWD vehicles just got an idle sniff.

EDIT --- nevermind, I just saw your post about making it rev up in in park.
    --
    Jon