Thread: Painting rims

She's Back in Action Cutlass Queen's Avatar

Painting rims

I finally got my hands on a set of spare rims for the Ninja. Didn't care about color, more about the condition they were in. Long story short, I want to make these look nice as idk how long I'm gonna need to ride with these while dealing with the Badger Plating ordeal. So what steps do I need to go about painting these? Scuffing them with what grit? Will spray painting them last? Or should I just splurge and get them powdercoated?

Any ideas?
    "Just Deal With It" Racing

Gas costs more than drugs..... team beater's Avatar
    i would paint them, depending the condition you can simply get a red scuff pad to create a better surface for the paint to adhere to. another big factor is to ensure you clean them with a wax and grease remover, thinner works to. painting them yourself is cheap which keeps funds available for other mods
    I spend to much money on auto storage!

Why would you paint your wheels? I worked hard removing the paint from mine...

i was gana have mine powder coated for about $175 in waukesha unless theres someone cheaper. I think paining them would be fine is there paint on them already? scuff them up with some 320 pretty good and then primer them sand with no less than 600 to smooth it out lay anouther coat fo primer. sand once more wipe it all down with some kind of paint cleaner/degreaser then lay what ever color you would like at least three good coats. if its not exactly perfect you can sand the paint with a fine grit but it will clog up the sand paper really fast. after you get the paint the way you want it lay your clear. let set up a bit and wet sand/buff hope this help a bit
    2001 Trans Am WS6, Race car
    [COLOR="Blue"]2006 Tacoma Xrunner