Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gf's 95 Trans Am won't start, need some ideas

She hasn't driven it in over a year and I went to start it up and clean it for her and it started the first few times, but fell on it's face and died. Since then, it cranks like a mofo, but won't turn over. I changed the fuel filter in case it was clogged, but it didn't help. Been reading that the opti-spark ignitions in these fail often. I am looking for ideas and things to test and also how to test them. ( I'm not a mechanic ) I would like to get this thing running so I can beat the shit out of it. lol

It's a green vert with the LT1 in it.
    2011 Chevy Malibu

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    get all the old gas out it will start and run fine i bet

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605

same thing happened to me 2 years ago i was beating on it ,then it fell on its face i ended up doing the opti and the full ignition but in the end i took the ignition module in to aqutozone and it was bad put the new one in and it fired right up take that off and atleast try that its like 45$ at autozone compared to like 500 for an opti the module i beleive is under the coil atleast thats where it was on my 93 just an idea man

The night before I went over, she started it and let it idle for a few minutes. What she didn't realize is that she was almost on empty. I got it started the next day ( before noticing the gas guage ) and it wouldn't stay running. Then I noticed it was on E for EMPTY. lol I then put about 3 gallons of fresh gas she had in a can in the garage. Still wouldn't turn over. I have a feeling that it wasn't enough gas, and if I go over with some more it may just work. I will most likely do that today, and if it doesn't work, I will for sure look into the ignition module. These options would be much cheaper than replacing the opti. Thanks guys.
    2011 Chevy Malibu

Quote Originally Posted by moels View Post
    The night before I went over, she started it and let it idle for a few minutes. What she didn't realize is that she was almost on empty. I got it started the next day ( before noticing the gas guage ) and it wouldn't stay running. Then I noticed it was on E for EMPTY. lol I then put about 3 gallons of fresh gas she had in a can in the garage. Still wouldn't turn over. I have a feeling that it wasn't enough gas, and if I go over with some more it may just work. I will most likely do that today, and if it doesn't work, I will for sure look into the ignition module. These options would be much cheaper than replacing the opti. Thanks guys.
    better hurry up,by the end of the week gas will be more than a GM opti.
    Check out our NEW online store!
    http://store.clocksoffracing.com/

^^^^ Good point.
    2011 Chevy Malibu

All signs point to fuel pump. Anyone know if there is a trap door to access it, or do I have to drop the tank to do it? She got an estimate for $800 and I am looking to save her some money. I just can't seem to find any write-ups on this at all. If anyone can give me some info on a how-to or if someone has done it and wants to give me some direction, I would greatly appreciate it.
    2011 Chevy Malibu

if the tank was empty and the pump was left dry it is prolly junk, i would cut a access hole in the floor replace the pump then reseal it with body sealer, dropping the tank ftl

ls1tech.com should have a write up on a tank pump swap.
    I offer online scheduling using BookFresh

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy MF'ng Johnson! View Post
    if the tank was empty and the pump was left dry it is prolly junk, i would cut a access hole in the floor replace the pump then reseal it with body sealer, dropping the tank ftl
    I've read about cutting an access hole and also heard that there may be an access door already there. I don't think she wants me to cut a hole in her car. What is all entailed in dropping the tank? If it's just loosening the straps and pulling it down, I wouldn't think it would be that bad. There's only 40,000 miles on the car. If need be I will just pay for it to be done.
    2011 Chevy Malibu

cut the hole,when your done seam sealer will seal it up countless have done it with great results and no other body concerns but hey if you wann spend the cash its up to you, dripping the tank involves a lot of other poss. issues with poss rusted items plus if i remember they are a pain in the ass to get out

cut the hole,when your done seam sealer will seal it up countless have done it with great results and no other body concerns but hey if you wann spend the cash its up to you, dripping the tank involves a lot of other poss. issues with poss rusted items plus if i remember they are a pain in the ass to get out
    Would you happen to know where exactly to cut that hole? I will try to convince her, but who knows.
    2011 Chevy Malibu

not for sure,but i can find out easilly

not for sure,but i can find out easilly
    I will try to find the thread about it that I was reading last night. Seems to make the most sense to me as well.
    2011 Chevy Malibu

http://www.geocities.com/formulapower2/fuelpump.html

there you go that will tell you everything you need to know. before doing this i would run a fuel pressure test on it. the fuel pressure regulator is known to go on lt1's. you never no it could be something stupid. How did it run when it did start?

Quote Originally Posted by Beagz View Post

there you go that will tell you everything you need to know. before doing this i would run a fuel pressure test on it. the fuel pressure regulator is known to go on lt1's. you never no it could be something stupid. How did it run when it did start?
    Thanks for the info.
    2011 Chevy Malibu

Breecher_7
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagz View Post

Dont forget how big a pain in the ass reconnecting some of those lines can be.....

We did this in the dark....

we could have cut that hole a little bigger to on that side lol.

Most likely will tackle this job this weekend sometime and save her a bunch of money. Thanks alot for the info and the link.
    2011 Chevy Malibu

no problem and good luck!!!