Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar

Classic car insurance: Hagerty

there was a topic before on classic car insurance but I don't know where it went. I just wanted to clarify a few things that I found out just now on Hagerty....it made my day and it might make yours too. Sometimes asking questions can go a long ways.

My current insurance company is the one that did most of the legwork with my Hagerty policy when I got the Biscuit insured. There was talk of them not insuring cars driven to work etc.....and it was bugging me to ask them to be sure. You CAN drive your car to work and be insured as LONG as its not your daily driven car. IE you can't drive it everyday to work and be insured. But if you want to drive it on a nice day, you can do that. In the event that you are hit or hit someone, Hagerty might call your work and verify that you do in fact drive another primary vehicle daily.

Sounds perfect to me. There are a few times in the summer that I'd like to drive my car to work and I feel 100X better knowing I can do that now. These cars are too fun to drive to only drive them on the weekends

NEXT: make sure you notify them if your car is stored somewhere other than your residence during the winter etc.

That is all.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

J,
    Go over to chevelles.com and do some searches. Unless you get that in writing from the president of Hagerty I would not believe it. Everyone on that site has a different story regarding Agreed value companies policies about driving to work.
    03 Terminator Vert
    06 TL

I heard it with my own ears. I let THEM tell me what was accepted and covered. I made them explain what was covered. It sounds legit to me. I still won't drive the car a lot to work because its a real chore going through the zoo interchange with a drum brake-equipped car at 4:30.

Like I said they would probably verify it with your work should you file a claim.

There was a guy on the fullsize Chevy boards that got hit at 4pm rush hour driving his 62 Bel Air home from work....insured with Hagerty. They gave him NO grief about the claim:

read down at the bottom of the page
    http://www.348-409.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13712
    Last edited by jbiscuit; 05-28-2008 at 12:14 PM.

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I did this too...just double checking. I also asked if one car was in the shop, would they cover it and they DID say they don't want you using it as a "back-up" car...so that was fine, just wanted to clarify.

Fortunately for me, I don't work typical hours so if I do take the car to work, the accident would occur at 2-4 on the way in...heading away from my house, or 7pm or later on the way home...so any number of excuses could be given if need be. But I went over a couple of scenario's (going to a friends for a BBQ, driving it to the 'rents on a nice day, etc....) and most everything but the back-up scenario was ok'd.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

^^ exactly. They told me the same. Its not to be used as a second car or a backup like Chris said however. I'm fine with that.

I've got Hagerty on the GS, they said know problem with trips to cruise nights and to work, cannot be a daily driver. I told them 3k miles a year, they didn't like that had to move it down to 1K.....

We've fixed a couple of cars with Hagerty Insurance, claims went smooth with no delays.....
    Keith & Amanda
    2001 Formula Firehawk
    87 GN Only fast on the Souf Side
    70 GS 455 Stock Appearing

they may have upped the allowable mileage too now Keith. They kept saying no more than 2500 a year when I called today but I could have sworn they told me 1500 last year when I got the policy on the car. They've never verified miles on the car to date.

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    They told me that they don't limit the mileage...but they still, like most insurance companies, base their rates on estimated yearly mileage. I gave them 2,000 year. But they explicitly said no limitations since one of the question I had was if I went down to the condo in TX with the coronet, that'd be 3,000 miles round trip there..."no prob" was their reply.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!