Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rx7 mind-boggling issue...

So, I have a 90' Mazda Rx7 13B non turbo. Ive had it since i graduated in highschool (4 years) and the "apex seals" took a crap a while back. (or so i was told) I found a guy who was selling the same motor with like 50k miles on it so I bought it, had my dads buddy do the motor swap (in the meantime my system got jacked, different story) and put the car in storage until 2 months ago, when i quit my job. The shape of the body is outstanding for being a 90 rx7. minus the broken mirror, which i'm replacing relatively soon.

Now that its home, i've been working on it trying to get it to run, because when they did the motor swap they couldnt get it to run. The guy that we bought it from, swore that the motor was good.

Well, 2 weeks ago I got it running, idles great, smokes a little (white smoke). The problem is that it idles in park and in neutral, but when i put it in reverse, drive, ect, it stalls/dies and it wont start up until the next day (probably because its flooding out) Would anybody know what may cause that?

Play PS3 with ME!
    Hooray for tuning!

\/ What amazing looks like \/
    well from what i gather.. your first problem is that it has a rotary engine in it...

here is what you need to do..

dump the rotary and get a freakin ls1

problem solved

everytime your the first poster in my thread it goes to shit, GTFO! Go post whore in someone else's thread lol. I'd throw a LS1 in it by now if I wanted. I'd rather get it running, sell it and turbo my balt.

Play PS3 with ME!
    Hooray for tuning!

I would take that question to rx7club.com if you haven't already.
    - a bad ground?
    - bad computer connection?
    - bad computer?
    -Andy
    PS3, Xbox 360, & Steam tag: Cryptic78

"(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)

this car is freakin mint.. its almost like it was in a time capsule.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    I would take that question to rx7club.com if you haven't already.
    - a bad ground?
    - bad computer connection?
    - bad computer?
    yea, last time i was on there (no offense to you) I got flamed hardcore. A few decent people tried to help, they were saying maybe a fuel filter, Throttle positioning sensor, or a vaccum (sp?) line. I have a haynes build book on it, ive been reading through it. I kind of want to say that the mechanic installed something wrong, because when i checked the plugs, they weren't in right. he had the both of the lower plugs in the left, and the top plugs on the right side. When i saw that i fixed that, checked the plug wires and coils, all the basic stuff. I know a decent amount about motors and fixing stuff, but when it comes to rotarys i know the basics. I've never heard of anything like this before

Play PS3 with ME!
    Hooray for tuning!

Quote Originally Posted by nramlow2006 View Post
    this car is freakin mint.. its almost like it was in a time capsule.
    true that. a few exterior dings minus the broken mirror and this body is in great shape along with the interior.

Play PS3 with ME!
    Hooray for tuning!

i'd say a RX7 forum. i thiink every RX owner on here besides cryptic has a v8 lol.

Oh or call a RX7/rotary shop explain there problem they might have sum sort of lead for ya ?
    Quote Originally Posted by 88Nightmare
    its always winter on bcm!

tried that. most of the rotary shops i talk to either have alziemers (sp?) or won't tell you jack....

Play PS3 with ME!
    Hooray for tuning!

I wish I had something of value to offer to this thread, but I know nothing about rotary motors....so I'll just stare at your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by CobaltSSTuner View Post
    tried that. most of the rotary shops i talk to either have alziemers (sp?) or won't tell you jack....
    you call up A-Spec tuning?
    Quote Originally Posted by 88Nightmare
    its always winter on bcm!

Quote Originally Posted by KARKRAFT View Post
    I wish I had something of value to offer to this thread, but I know nothing about rotary motors....so I'll just stare at your signature.
    thats cool lol

Play PS3 with ME!
    Hooray for tuning!

Quote Originally Posted by Flicktitty View Post
    you call up A-Spec tuning?
    no i have not, you reccomend them? I'll give them a ring.

Play PS3 with ME!
    Hooray for tuning!

So its an auto?

most signs are leaning towards computer is jacked. The idle is wrong for the in gear table. what year is the motor?

Also check to make sure the IAC is good. Check all the nescesary items fuel filter, make sure has good plugs blah blah. When it floods out like that put gas at WOT and start cranking the engine. It shuts the injectors off and you should be able to start it after a couple cranks. Pouring ATF down it works as well, least it worked for mine and all the ones ive worked on.
    WTFWTFWTFWTFWTFW
    WTFWTWFWTWFWTWFWT
    WTWFWTWFWTWFWTWFWTWTf

vaccuum lines is an excellent suggestion... those things dry rot/crack esp since they are 18 years old. Not un-common to have to re-do them.

And there's only like 60+ of them on the TT's
    -Andy
    PS3, Xbox 360, & Steam tag: Cryptic78

"(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)

Quote Originally Posted by Myles View Post
    So its an auto?

most signs are leaning towards computer is jacked. The idle is wrong for the in gear table. what year is the motor?

Also check to make sure the IAC is good. Check all the nescesary items fuel filter, make sure has good plugs blah blah. When it floods out like that put gas at WOT and start cranking the engine. It shuts the injectors off and you should be able to start it after a couple cranks. Pouring ATF down it works as well, least it worked for mine and all the ones ive worked on.
    I havent checked the fuel filter yet. Whats weird is that when it stalls out from putting it in gear, it doesnt start. Even when i push the pedal to the floor and turn it over. It does nothing. The motor is from a 90 rx7. Not to sound like a n00b, but IAC? Intake Air Compression?

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    vaccuum lines is an excellent suggestion... those things dry rot/crack esp since they are 18 years old. Not un-common to have to re-do them.

And there's only like 60+ of them on the TT's
    Thats my thinking. I've looked over most of them, but it never hurts to look again.

Play PS3 with ME!
    Hooray for tuning!

IAC - idle air control

But as cryptic said check all vacuum lines, those things are nightmares when it comes to that. reset the computer check the grounds check the wiring. Hell if you can get your hands on another computer to check that would help limit the possibilities of whats wrong.
    WTFWTFWTFWTFWTFW
    WTFWTWFWTWFWTWFWT
    WTWFWTWFWTWFWTWFWTWTf

nothing useful to add but that sig rocks. carry on.
    I offer online scheduling using BookFresh

Quote Originally Posted by Yooformula View Post
    nothing useful to add but that sig rocks. carry on.
    o and i get bitched at by other members for doing the samething...

but i guess if you own this place you can do as you want.

Quote Originally Posted by nramlow2006 View Post
    o and i get bitched at by other members for doing the samething...

but i guess if you own this place you can do as you want.
    we actually like him....
    "A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Jeremy Clarkson