Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

what gears to go with?

im building my 88 gt 5speed and im putting on D0OE heads probably a x303 and its gonna be carb the intirior is gonna be mostly striped it has lakewood 50/50 rear shocks and 1.5 in. lowering drag springs in the rear and im gonna get traction action bars. im not shur what im gonna do yet for the front suspention yet or what tires in gonna use or what gears so if i could get some recamendations on those things..that would be nice.

and im probably gonna spray a 100-200 shot sometimes.

2.73s. good gears
    "A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Jeremy Clarkson

Ryan78
    sounds like you are building a drag car. 4.10 or 4.30 gears would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan78 View Post
    x2

4:56
    Owner of Sunset Self Storage LLC. LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED STORAGE. 24/7 access. No Contract length. Self Storage/Portable Storage/Vehicle Transport
    Thanks, Brad 262.751.9439

09 Cadillac CTS V Has some stuff done...
    05 Chevy Duramax: Best time in 4wd was 12.22 @ 108
    99 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic: Big Bore, Cams, tune.

Pissed off the admins and earned a time out.
    no lower than 3.90:1 up to 4.88:1

You guys are nuts. With a 4.56 and a 200 shot he'll run out of gear long before the finish line.

I would run a 4.10. There are much better cam choices than the X. I wouldnt bother with those 351 heads unless their free. Even then the performance gain over stock isnt worth the cost of the gaskets unless you port them yourself, and even then theyre nothing spectacular. It all starts with getting them decked and magnafluxed/degreased. Then you get the valve job....valve guides...upgrade to bigger/non press style rocker studs.....it gets expensive...in the end you have a set of mediocre heavy iron heads. You could find yourself a set of P heads and be much better off for a good price.

There are better choices for the lower control arm. Look at companies like UPR or Baseline Suspensions for the control arms.

For the front, if you have the money you could do a tubular Kmember kit from someone like UPR. They come with the Kmember, a-arms and coil over set for around $600, all Chrome Moly. Otherwise there are companies that make drag coil sets that work well for a 12-13 second car like that.

What springs are you gonna run? 1 1/2" drop or drag springs. Lowering springs are not drag springs.

I have no idea what the trans ratios are. I was just throwing that one out there.
    Owner of Sunset Self Storage LLC. LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED STORAGE. 24/7 access. No Contract length. Self Storage/Portable Storage/Vehicle Transport
    Thanks, Brad 262.751.9439

09 Cadillac CTS V Has some stuff done...
    05 Chevy Duramax: Best time in 4wd was 12.22 @ 108
    99 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic: Big Bore, Cams, tune.

3.73 suck for spray, i with i had 3.42s or less
    70 cutlass 442- dads car
    95 stang- Stock long block 195,XXX miles
    03 XC600 - bone stock (still faster then smokin ram)
    03 Polaris predator- 4.250 bore (assembly required)
    84- 4 eyed

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    +1

If you ever plan to drive it on the streets, I'd personally recommend a 3.55 or 3.73. I have a nearly stock '91 with 3.45s and I could certainly tolerate shorter gears, but I'm happy with where they are. My buddy has a '94 with heads/cam/intake and he's got 3.55s, says he's more than happy. He did have 4.10s at one point and said that it was a lot of fun at the track, but not really all that useful on the street.
    -Patrick TSi
    I want to be able to spend my retirement years driving my Buick at wide open throttle, at 45 mph, 'cause I shifted into L instead of D. But it's my own damn business and not the government's.

Ryan78
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly View Post
    If you ever plan to drive it on the streets, I'd personally recommend a 3.55 or 3.73. I have a nearly stock '91 with 3.45s and I could certainly tolerate shorter gears, but I'm happy with where they are. My buddy has a '94 with heads/cam/intake and he's got 3.55s, says he's more than happy. He did have 4.10s at one point and said that it was a lot of fun at the track, but not really all that useful on the street.
    I have 4.10's in my car and they are just fine on the street. Highway cruising is fine also. I only seen a loss of 1 mpg on the highway and no change for city driving. Never fear the gear. Wish I had gone with 4.30's.....

Never fear the gear.
    except when your bouncing off the rev limiter at 1000ft

Looking for Fozy parts Want_Notch's Avatar
    5.86's
    2001 Subaru Forester

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    6:13's
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

10.12's
    2001 Subaru Forester

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    12:10's....with 24" OD tires!
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

LOL........top speed of about 12mph
    2001 Subaru Forester

yeah i was planning on going with 4:10's but i wish i someone made like 4:20's or someting like that, something between 4:10's and 4:30's is what i want but idk if anyone makes something between those 2. and also front suspension wise i was thinking about going with new stock 4cly suspension...... what the word on that.