GTP creaking/knocking noise when turning

Only when I turn right at a normal turning speed (over 15-20mph) it makes a creaking/knocking noise from my passenger front wheel area. However, if I turn really slow it doesn't make any noise at all, even when turning the wheel all the way to the left.

I jacked the car up, and noticed that my front sway bar is broken at the tab, but everything else looks to be in good shape. I had some of that jb weld stuff so I put it back on the front sway bar just to see if that is the problem, but it still makes the noise.... and the hold is still good.

Is there anyone in the area that has some knowledge on Grand Prix suspension and could at least maybe diagnose my problem? Or any good shops anybody could refer me to take it to? I'm in Brookfield on weekends and Whitewater during the week.

Thanks

Check your stabilizer links? Also, check your balljoints and tie rod ends by jacking up a side and trying to move the wheel from side to side, and then try the same vertically. There shouldn't be any play either way. Make sure the steering column is locked or you'll end up moving the wheel most likely and getting a false movement.

Do you feel it in the steering wheel?Another common problem with these cars, and the monte carlo's, regal's etc. is the steering shaft. Its a shit design and the lubricant doesn't hold up too well. GM sells a relube kit for the shafts (you have to pull the shaft out, pretty simple). You did say it was coming from the passenger side...so I doubt that is it. Here is a writeup anyways http://www.colinkraft.com/shaft.php
    -Tyler

*even when turning the wheel all the way to the right.

By the way, its a 1997 GTP... here's pics of the broken front sway bar... but now its temporarily fixed.... I'm convinced its something else tho that is making the noise. Thanks again.

-Scott

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bag View Post
    Check your stabilizer links? Also, check your balljoints and tie rod ends by jacking up a side and trying to move the wheel from side to side, and then try the same vertically. There shouldn't be any play either way. Make sure the steering column is locked or you'll end up moving the wheel most likely and getting a false movement.

Do you feel it in the steering wheel?Another common problem with these cars, and the monte carlo's, regal's etc. is the steering shaft. Its a shit design and the lubricant doesn't hold up too well. GM sells a relube kit for the shafts (you have to pull the shaft out, pretty simple). You did say it was coming from the passenger side...so I doubt that is it. Here is a writeup anyways http://www.colinkraft.com/shaft.php
    Yea I did, I checked the wheel at 9/3 and 12/6 with no play either way. The links/bolts are in good shape as well as the bushings. I doubt its the steering shaft or rack and pinion because it only happens at higher speeds when I turn to the right. I also don't believe its the hub or bearing because it is not consistent all the time.

I'm still pretty much a newb, especially to suspension, so I'm nervous I'm going to take this to a shop and they are going to diagnose everything all together and give me a big bill to redo my entire suspension when it might just be one small thing. That's why I'd feel a lot better if an expert on here could just check it out and give me an honest opinion, I'd obviously compensate if someone helped.

Thanks again for your quick response.

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    I had to change the passenger side strut mount when I had a similar problem. Talk to Gabe (nitrous) he has been around this particular model for some time.

When I did my sway bar upgrade, little did I know the front sway was broken. OEM is junk.
    -Andy
    PS3, Xbox 360, & Steam tag: Cryptic78

"(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    When I did my sway bar upgrade, little did I know the front sway was broken. OEM is junk.
    While it was broken, did your car make any creaking noises when turning sharply?

Eventually, I'm planning on doing the GMPP upgrade to the front and rear, but have no exact idea how to do it, and don't really want to pay a dealership... I'd rather just pay someone for it as a side-job and they can teach me as well.

Out of all the mechs on this forum... nobody can help me out?

I'm getting desparate here, I might have to take it to a stealership...
    97 GTP - She whines a lot, but I like it.

Pretty much stock.... for now

Do you have to be moving? Does it do this at a stop as well? If so, i would guess strut mounts?? If it happens when moving, a cv shaft?

taek it to midas and get a free estimate then go buy the parts cheap online and do it yourself.
    I offer online scheduling using BookFresh

Midas has free estimates? That's prolly the best solution....
    97 GTP - She whines a lot, but I like it.

Pretty much stock.... for now