Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar

TECH: cleaning/detailing cast aluminum

since there were some questions and suggestions in the other thread, I figured I could start a new thread here on it for tips and suggestions.

I just read online that a little bit of brake cleaner or carb cleaner can really brighten up the aluminum. You'd have to be careful of your painted areas with the brakekleen spray however. I haven't messed around with my cast aluminum parts yet this year but last spring I had good luck with some Simple Green & a rag/toothbrush...

I wonder if cast aluminum wheel cleaner spray would work alright? Anyone try this?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

If you're worried about spray/painted areas... pick up a can of NEVR-DULL wadding polish, that shit is a miracle in a can.
    (It's basically mineral spirits in a fiber roll that you tear chunks off of.)

I had some black exhaust stain on nearly half of my back bumper, and with a wash pad/suds, it took some VERY hard scrubbing to even start to remove it.

I busted out the NEVR-DULL and tore off a chunk, BAM, that shit came right off with little effort!
    Sure it stripped all the wax off, but it was ruined in that area anyway.
    I just waxed it up quick, and it looks brand new :0

I also use this on my rims to keep the polished lip all blingin... it's amazing.
    _] Jeff
    _] '08 Audi A4 S-Line
    _] '98 Eclipse Spyder GS-T
    _] '93 Toyota Camry
    www.flickr.com/photojeffic

good call. I have used it on the brightwork on the exterior. Never thought to try it on the cast parts

Quote Originally Posted by yellow wagon View Post
    since there were some questions and suggestions in the other thread, I figured I could start a new thread here on it for tips and suggestions.

I just read online that a little bit of brake cleaner or carb cleaner can really brighten up the aluminum. You'd have to be careful of your painted areas with the brakekleen spray however. I haven't messed around with my cast aluminum parts yet this year but last spring I had good luck with some Simple Green & a rag/toothbrush...

I wonder if cast aluminum wheel cleaner spray would work alright? Anyone try this?
    From what i remember some of the cast aluminum wheel cleaners have some mild acid in them. Might want to watch out for that

Got Kicked OFF The Track A B4C Z's Avatar
    I perfer to use wizards metal polish it comes in a little can. Only plac that stocks it localy is auto paint and supply it looks like cotton candy and is like 15 bucks a can but it does wonders on metal chrome and such.

1998 Black on Black Regal
    2010 Black on Black Denali

Watch out with the brake kleen on intake manifolds. A buddy of mine sprayed that on his Syclone upper intake against my advice and it ruined the finish permanently. It got all cloudy and no amount of washing it put it back.

I like Simple Green and some scrubbing.
    Josh
    91 GMC Syclone, full street trim, full accessories, stock bottom end.
    11.45 @ 117.7 57mm PT51 turbo at 20 PSI, 93 octane street tune w/alcohol injection. D.I.Y. Budget build, <$4500 under the hood complete.

no brakleen will touch my manifold knowing that now. Simple Green seems to work pretty decent anyways with a touch brush and a little elbow grease.

Quote Originally Posted by A B4C Z View Post
    I perfer to use wizards metal polish it comes in a little can... it looks like cotton candy... and is like 15 bucks a can but it does wonders on metal chrome and such.
    Pretty sure that's the same as NEVR-DULL, for 3x the price
    Look at the ingredients on the side, it's probably just mineral spirits.
    _] Jeff
    _] '08 Audi A4 S-Line
    _] '98 Eclipse Spyder GS-T
    _] '93 Toyota Camry
    www.flickr.com/photojeffic