02hawk796

computer help please.

I was cruising the net last night looking for stuff, and since then I've got pop-ups all the time, while writing and email on yahoo, I get about 4-5 per sentence. I also get them while on the mfba board as well as here. I also don't have the auto-logon for the boards anymore.
    Can somebody tell me how to stop these?
    I was going to erase my cookies and stuff, but I can't find the files on this computer. I'd like to keep my net history files (the addresses).
    I've got a hp pavilion with windows XP, Opera browser (I've selected the "no pop-ups" option), and the bottom toolbar keeps filling up with "microsoft internet explorer" titles when the pop-ups come on. I'm on earthlink dialup.

Thanks in advance. about 30 pop-ups during this typing.

Ol' School Ron North's Jewels Champion
    Download Internet explorer 6.0 from Microsofts website. This helped me get ride of all the pop ups I was getting as well as ZoneAlarm Firewall. All freeware

Go to your Control Panel and "Add/Remove Programs" and Uninstall any BULLSH!T programs like "Internet 404" or "SaveNow" or "DateManager" or "PrecisionTime", "MediaLoads anything", theres more but I cant think of them off the top of my head.

Milw96Cobra
    ZoneAlarm is the DEVIL!

Update your computer with Windows Update, then go to www.download.com and download Spybot Search and Destroy... run it a couple times, immunize and what not... should be good.

Printer *****
    Download Ad-Aware download site ......run that and it will find all the **** that might have been added to your registry and any cookies that might be causing you trouble. To prevent pop-ups i use the Google toolbar, not sure if it works with Opera or not though. But since i downloaded it, i've had zero pop ups.
    2005 Honda Pilot
    2004 Toyota Corolla

02hawk796
    They seem to have slowed down now, for some reason.
    There's a buttload of programs that I'm not familiar with (meaning they could have come with the computer last year, for all I know).
    I deleted "Atomic pop", and there's a "Betty Bad" that I haven't killed yet.
    I already have IE junk, but I don't use it on my computers because I don't like to crash - which is why I'm on Opera, after trying Mozilla awhile. I already have to suffer through the MS garbage at work (but at least Microsoft products give me great job security )
    Is this stuff time related? Like heavy during prime-time? If that's it, it makes sense because I'm rarely on during those hours.
    Thanks for all your help!

9C1 Driver
    Go get that Spybot - Search & Destroy program. It'll help a bunch.

Also, if you want to get rid of ALL pop-ups and all banner ads, go get Ad Muncher. It'll cost you a few bucks to keep using it past the trial period, but it is extremely effective and well worth it!

Both can be found using google.

I haven't recieved any pop ups since using zone alarm.

I have "Pop-up Stopper" that I got free from www.downloads.com It works great! You can turn it on and off as needed, or you can manually allow a new window to open if you just need one.

1991 Z/28
    \m/(>.<)\m/
    2006 Impala

Originally posted by Syclone0044
    Go to your Control Panel and "Add/Remove Programs" and Uninstall any BULLSH!T programs like "Internet 404" or "SaveNow" or "DateManager" or "PrecisionTime", "MediaLoads anything", theres more but I cant think of them off the top of my head.
    Also a program called "GATOR" it is in alot of programs and is designed to open pop-ups when you go to refresh or open any site.

Dan
    Headers are in with no Catz and the Electronic Borla Plate is a GOD!!!

America... **** YEAH! Knyghtmare's Avatar
    The only true way to get rid of all the bullshit on your comp is to do a reformat. Start fresh, and be careful about what you do online from then on.
    -Tyler

Don't drink and Post!
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAzzGTA89
    I just hope you don't want a Knyghtmare in your street dreams
    1991 Camaro, LS1 Powered -- 2000 Silverado 1500

rsscoty
    Downloaded zone alarm, and now it boots me from the system
    Scoty

Ol' School Ron North's Jewels Champion
    Originally posted by rsscoty
    Downloaded zone alarm, and now it boots me from the system
    Scoty
    It boots me somtimes to. I dont know if you have DSL or road Runner but on Dial up you will get booted sometimes for me its not that big of a deal as long as it stops people from connecting to my pc I dont care its still well worth it In my own opinion

The man in the box Jukebox Hero Champion My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion Smaugs Treasure Champion Lash's Avatar
    Ad-ware works good for me....no pop-ups. And it's free too.
    It's amazing how much add crap it pulls off of your computer when you run it.

SPYBOT...period
    -Andy
    PS3, Xbox 360, & Steam tag: Cryptic78

"(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)

Originally posted by CrypticGTX
    SPYBOT...period
    Yeah, Spybot is pretty good too!!

1991 Z/28
    \m/(>.<)\m/
    2006 Impala

Printer *****
    Originally posted by CrypticGTX
    SPYBOT...period
    Use both! Ad-Aware catches some stuff that SPYBOT doesn't and vice versa.