Thread: Keyless Entry

BCM Rseident Grill Master Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay's Avatar

Keyless Entry

Last fall when I bought the Camaro, the keyless entry didn't work. Replaced the battery and still doesn't work. Is ther reprogramming that has to be done? If so, do I have to go to a dealer, or can I do it myself?

the dealer can reprogram it with a techII i don't know of anywhere else i would go i know our cheaper "than a techII" generic obdII scanner won't do it at tires plus
    2001 Trans Am WS6, Race car
    [COLOR="Blue"]2006 Tacoma Xrunner

habitual line-stepper Mr. Brett's Avatar

I'm not sure on an f-body, but there is a procedure for doing it yourself on a Grand Prix (just did it last week on a '99). It involves pulling a fuse, turning the ignition on and then off quickly, opening and closing the door. This puts it into diagnostic mode. Then pressing the lock and unlock buttons on the remote simultaneously programs the remote to the car. You'd have to do a google search for the exact procedure, but it can be done without a Tech II. Now whether or not this procedure (or something similar) would work on your Camaro, I don't know. I'll see what I can find.

habitual line-stepper Mr. Brett's Avatar

Found this for a '96 Camaro. I would assume it's the same, but not sure.

1- Turn ignition off. Remove RADIO fuse (fuse #17) from the fuse block. Cycle the ignition switch from OFF to RUN 3 times within 5 seconds until door locks and hatch release cycle. Indicating the BCM is in program mode. Leave ignition key in RUN postion.

2- Press both LOCK and UNLOCK button on Transmitter for 16 seconds. Door locks will cycle (LOCK then UNLOCK) confirming the transmitter has been programmed. Door locks must cycle completely to unlock before proceeding.

3- Repeat step (2) for each additional transmitter to be programmed.

4- Turn off ignition switch, and replace fuse #17. confirm fuctions of transmitter.

Ben you can do it yourself!!!! I did it to my remote. ^^^ that post has everything you need to know in it.