Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Pissed off the admins and earned a time out.
    Quote Originally Posted by juicedimpss View Post
    i dunno,my imp would footbrake 2400 and flash 3200 on motor,on the gun it would flash a lil more
    interesting, ive had shitty converters that stalled real low on foot and high on flash, and i switched companies and got WAY better results, IMO at least. this guy is talking about same stall speed as stock though, not even a little looser = no stall at all? and yes, we can run your car sunday for sure, 1-414-322-0280 or 1-262-692-9035 thanks Forest.

Well, I just got off the phone w/Midwest Converter & they said because I said its driven on the street more often than on the track, they made it a little tighter. With it being so loose, It would generate alot more heat & ail the transmission sooner than later. When it comes time to launch on tires that stick, i'd notice a huge difference. We'll see, I've got some drag radials i'll take to the track this year.

Forest,
    As soon as I hear from Brian on whether this Sunday is good for him to tune, i'll shoot you a call to confirm a time. See ya!

Quote Originally Posted by 25thannivZ28 View Post
    Well, I just got off the phone w/Midwest Converter & they said because I said its driven on the street more often than on the track, they made it a little tighter. With it being so loose, It would generate alot more heat & ail the transmission sooner than later. When it comes time to launch on tires that stick, i'd notice a huge difference. We'll see, I've got some drag radials i'll take to the track this year.

Forest,
    As soon as I hear from Brian on whether this Sunday is good for him to tune, i'll shoot you a call to confirm a time. See ya!
    if you are using the lockup function it wouldnt make much more heat than stock at cruising speed.
    besides,if you specified what you wanted for a stall why would they take it upon themselves to not make it what you want(within a few hundo rpm)
    Check out our NEW online store!
    http://store.clocksoffracing.com/

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    if you're footbraking and getting spin, it shouldn't really be too different from the old converter...spin at 2100 old should also result in spin at ~ the same rpm's new unless it's a junky converter...it's just the mechanics of how torque is transfered. What's important is the "flash" difference....

...in this case, traction is proving to be your limiting factor when footbraking...
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ Super Mario Mushroom Champion Starcastle Champion Korndogg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Syclone0044 View Post
    If you get it wrong, you can destroy your tranny and converter.
    ya. including the pump
    1968 Camaro 383

Here's a video of my truck doing a "boost launch" 0-60.

Click my tach for video!

Its a custom ~2700 RPM tight nitrous/blower converter from Yank. You can definitely get a feel for where this converter gets tight when you watch the tach as I brake-torque the engine. (Then you can hear the tires squeal when I let go and nail it )
    Josh
    91 GMC Syclone, full street trim, full accessories, stock bottom end.
    11.45 @ 117.7 57mm PT51 turbo at 20 PSI, 93 octane street tune w/alcohol injection. D.I.Y. Budget build, <$4500 under the hood complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Syclone0044 View Post
    Here's a video of my truck doing a "boost launch" 0-60.

Click my tach for video!

Its a custom ~2700 RPM tight nitrous/blower converter from Yank. You can definitely get a feel for where this converter gets tight when you watch the tach as I brake-torque the engine. (Then you can hear the tires squeal when I let go and nail it )

Thats a pretty nice demonstration of what I should be seeing then, huh? I couldn't get the best feel for the vid, I don't have sound at my work computer, i'll check it out when I get home. Clearly the tires weren't movin til the speedometer left "0". When its dry out, i'll take my car out again, just to see if I can get it to "Flash" up that high. So your converter is considered to be "Tight"? How is it when you drive on the street? Thanks for sharing your vid!!

nice vid! shows converter comin on at around 2600ish.... hmmm.... 2700 stall eh? thats how a good converter should act.

Lol only takes nearly a G note to get a converter that works though hahah
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

Thats a pretty nice demonstration of what I should be seeing then, huh? I couldn't get the best feel for the vid, I don't have sound at my work computer, i'll check it out when I get home. Clearly the tires weren't movin til the speedometer left "0". When its dry out, i'll take my car out again, just to see if I can get it to "Flash" up that high. So your converter is considered to be "Tight"? How is it when you drive on the street? Thanks for sharing your vid!!
    That thing has a great shift extension! Only falls back to about 4300 after the 5K shift! I need that for my 4.3... Prob take a 3200 converter to get it to do that behind the gutless wonder though.

Quote Originally Posted by BAD LS1 View Post
    I know, Brad just threw down a G on his verter last week.....

whats it cost for a clutch that holds up to the power levels a $1k convertor holds up to?
    just out of curiousity.

Quote Originally Posted by juicedimpss View Post
    whats it cost for a clutch that holds up to the power levels a $1k convertor holds up to?
    just out of curiousity.
    Hahah well.. It was $500 for a spec stage V package that was supposed to deal with 1,000 HP... That cock sucker packed up and blew dodge in 900 miles with 750 ft lbs through it .

So now its 1200 into a mcleod twin disc setup. Still cheaper than a proper 4L80E swap for me to throw a good clutch at it and do refreshs on the trans yearly.

So now its 1200 into a mcleod twin disc setup.
    that is fairly close to the same.

http://www.converter.cc/faq/faq_main.htm#1

I guess I found a possible answer to my concern.....as it lists under "Difference between Brake Stall & Flash Stall." My rear brakes might be worth sh!t, the 4.10:1 gears may be pushin hard & the torque of the engine may be just overwhelming the street tires to beable to achieve its full stall capability of 3200. Maybe i'll throw on my drag-radials, pour some bleach down onto S.104th Street & warm up the tires....to see where that takes me

What rear brakes do you have? Stock rears Im guessing? If so thats part of it, the stock proportioning valve on 3rd gens doesnt send much force to the rears at all. With 3.27 gears in the back I have no problem over powering the rear discs with the brake pedal all the way down.
    Kevin
    Daily Driver: 1999 Chevy Tahoe w/ Vortec 350
    Wifes DD: 2003 VW Passat Wagon w/ 1.8T, 5 speed auto
    Plow Truck: 99 Chevy K3500 Pickup w/ a Vortec 454
    Toy 1: 98 BMW R1100R
    87 Camaro Iroc Z28, SOLD, Gone But not Forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by PonyKiller87 View Post
    What rear brakes do you have? Stock rears Im guessing? If so thats part of it, the stock proportioning valve on 3rd gens doesnt send much force to the rears at all. With 3.27 gears in the back I have no problem over powering the rear discs with the brake pedal all the way down.
    I have stock rear discs. In fact I'm not even sure if they've EVER been replaced, the car only has 48,000 original miles on it. (27,000 in which I put on) I know i've replaced the fronts last spring, w/some nice SSB slotted rotors & new pads, but I never touched the rears.

I have stock rear discs. In fact I'm not even sure if they've EVER been replaced, the car only has 48,000 original miles on it. (27,000 in which I put on) I know i've replaced the fronts last spring, w/some nice SSB slotted rotors & new pads, but I never touched the rears.
    The're decent brakes, just not getting enough presure to do much. Most people that road race put an adjustable proportioning valve on and say they notice a huge difference in rear braking. Like I said with mine I can have the brake pedal down all the way and even with the weak ass 3.27 I can over power the brakes with ease.
    Kevin
    Daily Driver: 1999 Chevy Tahoe w/ Vortec 350
    Wifes DD: 2003 VW Passat Wagon w/ 1.8T, 5 speed auto
    Plow Truck: 99 Chevy K3500 Pickup w/ a Vortec 454
    Toy 1: 98 BMW R1100R
    87 Camaro Iroc Z28, SOLD, Gone But not Forgotten

you can also mod the stock valve to get more rear bias.

BCM Cruiser
    http://www.converter.cc/faq/faq_main.htm#1

I guess I found a possible answer to my concern.....as it lists under "Difference between Brake Stall & Flash Stall." My rear brakes might be worth sh!t, the 4.10:1 gears may be pushin hard & the torque of the engine may be just overwhelming the street tires to beable to achieve its full stall capability of 3200. Maybe i'll throw on my drag-radials, pour some bleach down onto S.104th Street & warm up the tires....to see where that takes me
    Exactly, the only way to tell true stall speed is with a trans brake. Traction will give out before stall speed in most cases.

Also, the AWD truck will see its stall speed because it can't really brake the tires loose while sitting still. The front brakes are usually stronger than the power being applied to them.