Lucks Got Nothin To Do With It

2008 Classes and Rules for Import Wars at GLD

This is a repost from http://www.greatlakesdragaway.com/in...age=importwars

Also the GLD Main Page can be accessed from http://www.greatlakesdragaway.com/

2008 GLD IMPORT WARS SERIES

ATTENTION RACERS ! ! ! New Class Designations and some New Classes for the IMPORT WARS POINTS SERIES. We have broken the classes down to Dial-in Bracket classes and Heads Up Pro Tree Classes

Bracket Classes
    Super Street 15.00 and slower (same as D class) 400# series
    Super Mod 13.00 to 14.99 (in place of B & C) 600# series
    Super Quick 12.99 and quicker (same as Quick8/16) 800#series
    All dial-in classes start with "super" and have even #'s to start the class series. And Dial-In there own times. Breakout disqualification. SUPER QUICK class is an unlimited qualified field; however you must run qualifying to be put on the eliminations ladder. Class run on Sportsman Ladder! If you not not make a qualifying run during the sessions you are disqualified.
    SUPER STREET & SUPER MOD Entry Fee $45
    Winner $200 - Runner Up $100 - Semi Finalist $50
    SUPER QUICK Entry Fee $65 - Must have min. of 8 entries for full payout
    Winner $350 - Runner up $150 - Semi Finalist $50

Heads Up Classes
    Pro FWD (New Class Rules listed below) 500# series
    Pro Outlaw (same as Frantic7/ Import Challenge) 700# series

PRO FWD Rules
    Designated for all sport compact front wheel drive vehicles only. Heads up - Pro Tree - 1 power adder only - No motor limitations - No wheelie bars! - No tire limitation - Must meet all NHRA Safety rules for the ET you run. Unlimited field, however you must run qualifying to be put on the eliminations ladder. Class run on Sportsman Ladder! If you not not make a qualifying run during the sessions you are disqualified. The rules are subject to change. We may define things better and modify rules as needed Entry Fee $65 min 8cars needed for payout
    Winner $350 - Runner up $150 - Semi Finalist $50

PRO OUTLAW Rules
    Designated for all sport compact door car vehicles only. Heads up - Pro Tree - No motor limitations - No eight cylinders - No power adder limitations - Must meet all NHRA Safety rules for the ET you run. Unlimited field, however you must run qualifying to be put on the eliminations ladder. Class run on Sportsman Ladder! If you not not make a qualifying run during the sessions you are disqualified. The rules are subject to change. We may define things better and modify rules as needed Entry $65
    Guaranteed $1000 to WIN !! Runner up $200

NOTE: YOUR NUMBER WILL BE ASSIGNED AT THE FRONT GATE ONCE YOU ENTER AND PAY INTO A CLASS. THEN FOR THE REMAINDER RACES YOU MUST GIVE THEM YOUR ASSIGNED NUMBER WHEN YOU ENTER A CLASS AT THE FRONT GATE. Remember- Be Patient and Come Earlier! Your tech-in process and front gate process will take a bit longer than normal for the first time. But in the long run it will be faster. The first time you tech-in you can be teched in for the year. Then each race afterwards you will still need to check-in with your tech card at tech so you can be arm banded in.

Points will be awarded as follows:
    Attendance 10 pts - You must stage during 1st rd to receive these points. 10 pts will be awarded for every round you win!
    Points will be awarded to driver. You cannot Substitute drivers during the season.
    Current Points sheets will be posted 3-4 days after the race in the Red Barn.

We have 2 Volunteers who will be assisting in helping answer questions at the track. Prescott Phillips ( The Underdog Green Drag Beetle) will help with Pro Classes.
    Jacob Bierer ( The Orange Grand Am) will help the the Super Classes Classes.

Top 5 Finalists for each category will receive Trophies and be invited to GLD's Year End Banquet Held in February of 2009.

Good Luck ! ! !

Thanks to all who put this together, This year's action could be the best yet.
    Start turning some wrenches!!! Tick! Tock!

This is from hondaddy.com Import Wars forum
    '91 Grand Am 2.3 H.O. m5
    11.98@114.59 happy gas

'02 Trans Am WS-6 m6
    12.84@109.34 pure stock
    2005 Summit Series Street Class Champ

Senior Member..now yer posting! Boost21's Avatar
    hey man off topic but any info on your GA? thats a pretty impressive time

edit crap didnt realize that you were killer quad lol, i never knew you were here in the midwest

yup yup just a burnout west of Great Lakes Dragaway, so I guess that answers the question LOL.
    '91 Grand Am 2.3 H.O. m5
    11.98@114.59 happy gas

'02 Trans Am WS-6 m6
    12.84@109.34 pure stock

So my GN would run Pro Outlaw............Hmmmmmm
    Keith & Amanda
    2001 Formula Firehawk
    87 GN Only fast on the Souf Side
    70 GS 455 Stock Appearing

sounds interesting... I like the whole pro tree thing.

___________Rob L.___________

Race Transmission Rebuilder twicks69's Avatar
    Well, for sure I will be doing Super Quick, and I think I will try doing Pro Outlaw as well for a couple events!
    Tim Zimmer
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    9.49@148mph, street trim.
    ----------------------------
    2005 Subaru Outback Limited
    -- Winter Beater --

Quote Originally Posted by GRNDNL View Post
    So my GN would run Pro Outlaw............Hmmmmmm

Ya sure your all good once ya lop off everything behind the doors LOL
    COMPACT, I dont want to hear about a nova either. LOL
    Your GN is more than welcome at the Summit series.
    Or if anyone has a Monaro or Falcon we would all love to see that.
    '91 Grand Am 2.3 H.O. m5
    11.98@114.59 happy gas

'02 Trans Am WS-6 m6
    12.84@109.34 pure stock

Quote Originally Posted by Jake B. (Killer Quad) View Post
    PRO OUTLAW Rules
    Entry $65
    Guaranteed $1000 to WIN !! Runner up $200
    That $1000 payout should bring all those fast cars from
    outlying areas in. Probably ones we've never seen before.
    http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/
    Watching the country collapse in front of me while nobody else notices...

Ya sure your all good once ya lop off everything behind the doors LOL
    COMPACT, I dont want to hear about a nova either. LOL
    Your GN is more than welcome at the Summit series.
    Or if anyone has a Monaro or Falcon we would all love to see that.

Its compact for a Buick........
    Keith & Amanda
    2001 Formula Firehawk
    87 GN Only fast on the Souf Side
    70 GS 455 Stock Appearing

Quote Originally Posted by GRNDNL View Post
    Its compact for a Buick........

LOL ok you got me there
    '91 Grand Am 2.3 H.O. m5
    11.98@114.59 happy gas

'02 Trans Am WS-6 m6
    12.84@109.34 pure stock

This Sunday whos there? weather looks good. My car is still work in progress but I should be there, unless theres any major probs tomorrow.
    '91 Grand Am 2.3 H.O. m5
    11.98@114.59 happy gas

'02 Trans Am WS-6 m6
    12.84@109.34 pure stock

This Sunday whos there? weather looks good. .
    Perfect day, wish I went just to watch.

Who was the quickest/fastest today?
    http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/
    Watching the country collapse in front of me while nobody else notices...

BCM Cruiser

damn you JAKE!!!!!!!

LOL. j/k nice run against me!! Next time i will have sum good rubber or actual upgrades!!! Not bad for a b16 though.

BCM Cruiser
    Wow its been a while since i to race off a tree........so i guess these are my highs and lows.

HIGH- Beat the black Bug and some other quick cars on cheap tires i took from work.

High- my B16 didnt do as bad as i thought....still need some work to be done to be competitive but its a good platform to start with.

High- Great Weather and finally got to see old friends from the last season....NICE TO SEE ALL YOU GUYS N GALS AGAIN!!

LOWS- Got beat by the freakin tiger.......Damnit i was soo close too...i knew i had my work cut out for me when i seen u behind me.... NEXT TIME JAKE, Victory will be mine, hahhahah.

LOWS- my B16 didnt do as bad as i thought....still need some work to be done to be competitive but its a good platform to start with, Need to up my launch control or eliminate it.

-Will

I will be at the next race; I just couldn't get there this weekend -- ran out of time after problems on Saturday night.

The car was still up in Green Bay; I got up there on Friday night and began prepping the car, then replaced a cylinder head on Saturday morning and redyno'd the car, but then sucked a piece of metal in from somewhere and took out the #4 piston. With the spark plug removed and using a scope, it looked like a piece of metal had lodged itself into the piston. The sparkplug was toast (groundstrap impact).

Pulled the head on Sunday morning, and I was SHOCKED to find a piece of aluminum just sitting on top of the piston; no damage to piston, walls, or cylinder head. I had the machine shop inspect the head; no damage; all reusable. I just have to replace a set of head studs (they were new ARP L19's, but one of them failed torque specs upon installation).

The dyno-tuning has provided ALOT of additional horsepower over last years setup. The only things changed were an intake manifold, and a new unported head with 1mm OS valves, dual springs, and HKS cam upgrade. Still running the 1000cc injectors!

I think I am going to make an appearance at the RSD's up at WIR next weekend for some test/tune before next IW's at GLD.

So far, we have picked up over 115AWHP at 29psi with the intake manifold, head and cams -- 90AWHP from the intake manifold alone. The car currently sits at 635AWHP/553tq SAE Uncorrected at 29psi with alot left in it at that boost level. Cams haven't been dialed, timing was retarded 8 degrees upon installation of the new setup for safety. The goal is 800+AWHP on high boost for Import Wars #2.

I look forward to seeing you all there!
    Last edited by twicks69; 04-23-2008 at 07:26 AM.
    Tim Zimmer
    -- Winter Beater --

Good work, Tim. It's really nice to see there are other people out there doing before/after comparisons and noting the differences. I'm always amazed at how rarely someone takes the time to measure those things.

90AWHP from just the manifold! What is different about this manifold than your old one?

Got any pics of the damage?

PS: Did you ever get my PM I sent a few weeks ago? Never heard back.
    Josh
    91 GMC Syclone, full street trim, full accessories, stock bottom end.
    11.45 @ 117.7 57mm PT51 turbo at 20 PSI, 93 octane street tune w/alcohol injection. D.I.Y. Budget build, <$4500 under the hood complete.

I miss my Z24

'04 PBM GTO, LS1 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Syclone0044 View Post
    Good work, Tim. It's really nice to see there are other people out there doing before/after comparisons and noting the differences. I'm always amazed at how rarely someone takes the time to measure those things.

90AWHP from just the manifold! What is different about this manifold than your old one?

Got any pics of the damage?

PS: Did you ever get my PM I sent a few weeks ago? Never heard back.

No pics of the damage, since nothing got damaged in the long run -- piston/wall/head all saved.

I never received a PM from you -- shoot me another one! Sorry!

This new intake manifold has a much larger plenum, and larger tapered runners. The old plenum was also tapered towards the #1 cylinder, and the new one is continuous from #4-#1 cylinders for even volume.

The intake manifold gained over 10% efficiency vs. the Magnus SMIM at the same boost level.
    Tim Zimmer
    -- Winter Beater --