Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

'02 Sunfire Code

My sister has an '02 Sunfire with the 2.4L. Took her car to EVS in the Falls (where she originally bought it new) for an oil change because nobody was around to do it for her. Her check engine light came on and she took it to Advanced to get the code run - came back as PO440 - EVAP Emission Control System Malfunction. Had her check her fuel cap first and made sure that was seated properly.

Any ideas on what she should do next? She's not very car-knowledgeable, so she is more then willing to take it back to EVS to get it fixed, but she wants to know if there are things she can try first.

Are there any vacuum lines or hoses that should be checked first? I don't see the car very often myself, but if I can direct her to look at certain things, she might be able to find something that way.

Thanks!
    --Michelle--

Quote Originally Posted by Myles View Post
    Who let you out of the kitchen.
    Quote Originally Posted by -stew- View Post
    Fucking burn!!!! He's gonna have to change his name to Waver... cuz he just got neutered.

\/ What amazing looks like \/
    o2 sensor is probly going or cat is on the way out. let me look at something just to make sure

Quote Originally Posted by nramlow2006 View Post
    o2 sensor is probly going or cat is on the way out. let me look at something just to make sure
    Thanks!
    --Michelle--

Fucking burn!!!! He's gonna have to change his name to Waver... cuz he just got neutered.

what you could do is unplug the battery, let it sit for like 2-3 minutes, and then re-connect the battery. See if the CEL goes away. If it does, then maybe it was just the gas cap and it threw a CEL, if it comes back on, my guess is maybe an 02 sensor like nate said.

EDIT:

P0440 description and operation
    The EVAP large leak test applies vacuum to the evaporative emission (EVAP) system and monitors vacuum decay. The powertrain control module (PCM) monitors the fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor signal to determine the vacuum decay rate. At an appropriate time, the PCM turns the EVAP canister purge valve ON (open) and the EVAP vent valve ON (closed). This allows the engine to draw a vacuum on the EVAP system. At a calibrated time, or vacuum level, the PCM turns the purge valve OFF (closed), sealing the system, and monitors the FTP sensor input in order to determine EVAP system vacuum. If the system is unable to achieve the calibrated vacuum level, or the vacuum level decreases too rapidly, DTC P0440 will set.
    Last edited by CobaltSSTuner; 03-04-2008 at 01:26 PM.

Play PS3 with ME!
    Hooray for tuning!

Got Kicked OFF The Track A B4C Z's Avatar
    evap code is not an 02 sensor sorry. Its probly vent selinoid its located in the rear of the car on the pass side. 99.9% of the time on a j-body thats what it is. Could still be a cracked line/bad gas cap seal/evap canister blah blah blah only ture way to find out is to put the smoke machine on it.

1998 Black on Black Regal
    2010 Black on Black Denali

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by michelle View Post
    Any ideas on what she should do next?
    Pour some gasoline all-over and in the car itself, over the engine, interior, etc...then light it on fire. Make sure her insurance is up to date. The insurance company will total it and send her the the "replacement value" of the car (~$10 or a ball of yarn...can't recall the going rate on those sunfires).

Take it and be glad your sister doesn't have to put up with a sunfire anymore.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Valiant View Post
    Pour some gasoline all-over and in the car itself, over the engine, interior, etc...then light it on fire. Make sure her insurance is up to date. The insurance company will total it and send her the the "replacement value" of the car (~$10 or a ball of yarn...can't recall the going rate on those sunfires).

Ouch. Someone sure doesn't like Sunfires! I know they aren't the greatest car, but it was her first car she bought brand new and ordered as she wanted it. She loves the thing and hasn't had any issues with it, until this.

But thanks for the suggestion...
    --Michelle--

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Valiant View Post

hater

Play PS3 with ME!
    Hooray for tuning!

Quote Originally Posted by A B4C Z View Post
    evap code is not an 02 sensor sorry. Its probly vent selinoid its located in the rear of the car on the pass side. 99.9% of the time on a j-body thats what it is. Could still be a cracked line/bad gas cap seal/evap canister blah blah blah only ture way to find out is to put the smoke machine on it.
    '95 saturn < v8 GONE!
    '09 avalanche < tow rig
    '05 ion < DD
    '63 chevy ll < new project
    Some girls do want an 8 second ride

Ouch. Someone sure doesn't like Sunfires!
    who would?
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ndegroot2
    Twitter: http://http://twitter.com/deggyfresh
    PS3 name: deggyfresh

98 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x2 - Still ready for some snow drags.

She is afraid to disconnect her own battery, so still no update on this one. Hopefully I can run home this weekend and take a look while she is out of town.
    --Michelle--

Don't bother disconnecting the battery, it won't do a thing.....

It's most likely a solenoid like previously mentioned, and you won't be able to just look at it to see if it's defective.....

Where does she live...???

Evap vent valve or gas cap or both. Very common amongst GM stuff.
    And pulling PCM A and B fuses along with the batt for about 30 min is the only way your gonna clear a SES light w/o a scanner. It will come right back on again as soon as tries to pressure check the tank and fails on the 3rd try.
    Last edited by BAD LS1; 03-20-2008 at 10:49 AM.
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

Quote Originally Posted by Car Guy View Post
    Don't bother disconnecting the battery, it won't do a thing.....

It's most likely a solenoid like previously mentioned, and you won't be able to just look at it to see if it's defective.....

Where does she live...???

Car will be in Hubertus. I think she leaves for MN tomorrow, but the car is staying home. She is still driving the car around. Must not be too worried about anything. (:
    --Michelle--

BCM Cruiser
    had the same problem with my 02 z24 cavalier... the wires that come off the evap canister by the gas tank like to break. Check to make sure there all intact and ok. If not the easy way around is hp tuners lol. I could get it done for ya for cheap since we have the 02 model year unlocked for cavaliers which should work for the sunfires also

Yep, broken wire it was. Thanks Z Speed!

Although now she got a nice size screw in her back tire and it loses a nice 10 pounds of air every night.
    --Michelle--

My sister...

c'mon, she can join you on others avatars
    _] Jeff
    _] '08 Audi A4 S-Line
    _] '98 Eclipse Spyder GS-T
    _] '93 Toyota Camry
    www.flickr.com/photojeffic

PO440 - EVAP Emission Control System Malfunction

I'm almost willing to bet $50 she just didnt tighten the gas cap when she got gas last......

I have a code scanner I can clear the code with.....

'04 PBM GTO, LS1 M6

its al malfunction code not a leak code. most likely a purge is possibly stuck, but that would send a purge code. im guessign its maybe a fluke. reset the ecu and see if it comes on again. thats not very common. it may take a week or so for a EVAP code to pop up. maybe longer depending on drving habbits.

haha owned for not reading everything..

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    she just had an oil change and it then came on, tom does this car have any evap lines that go to the air filter housing? like they checked the air filter and knocked them off. some of our toyota stuff is like that,it will then set the light too

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605