Senior Member..now yer posting! 73Dustr's Avatar

Barnes Varmint Grenades

Has anyone shot these yet? I know you can get them in .223 factory loads from Black Hills, otherwise you have to handload. Just wondering if anyone has used them at all. I plan to try them out in some handloads and see how they do. They look perfect for coyote due to the limited exit wound. Here's a video from a Barnes DVD:

Varmint Grenade Video

that is freaking awesome...

Play PS3 with ME!
    Hooray for tuning!

Breecher_7
    Havent had the honor, i will soon though, thats a must on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Breecher_7 View Post
    Havent had the honor, i will soon though, thats a must on my list.
    Yeah, they look pretty good and it sounds like the ballistics aren't bad either.

Is it only .223? I am going prairie dog blasting in April and I was going to take the 22-250. I can't wait to go. The farm we are going to is 80,000 acres and the farmer is putting us up and paying for all the food and ammo. He said the doggies are destroying everything.
    Owner of Sunset Self Storage LLC. LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED STORAGE. 24/7 access. No Contract length. Self Storage/Portable Storage/Vehicle Transport
    Thanks, Brad 262.751.9439

09 Cadillac CTS V Has some stuff done...
    05 Chevy Duramax: Best time in 4wd was 12.22 @ 108
    99 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic: Big Bore, Cams, tune.

Resident Hornet guru USMARINE1108's Avatar
    Hummmmm.................. May have to try some of those out myself! Off to the depths of the internet to find some load data.............

ETA: I bet if they are pushed to a high velocity, accuracy will go out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by UnderPSI View Post
    Is it only .223? I am going prairie dog blasting in April and I was going to take the 22-250. I can't wait to go. The farm we are going to is 80,000 acres and the farmer is putting us up and paying for all the food and ammo. He said the doggies are destroying everything.
    .223 is the only factory load they come in. If you reload, you can use the .224 dia. bullet for 22-250 loads.

Here is a link to Barnes' site on the different bullet diameters and weights the Varmint Grenade comes in: Varmint Grenade Product Page

Where is this farm at? If he wants some more prairie dogs blasted I might be interested in coming out sometime during the summer. I would even supply all my own ammo.
    Kevin
    Daily Driver: 1999 Chevy Tahoe w/ Vortec 350
    Wifes DD: 2003 VW Passat Wagon w/ 1.8T, 5 speed auto
    Plow Truck: 99 Chevy K3500 Pickup w/ a Vortec 454
    Toy 1: 98 BMW R1100R
    87 Camaro Iroc Z28, SOLD, Gone But not Forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by USMARINE1108 View Post
    Hummmmm.................. May have to try some of those out myself! Off to the depths of the internet to find some load data.............

ETA: I bet if they are pushed to a high velocity, accuracy will go out the window.
    Let me know what caliber you are loading and I can get you some load data. I purchased the membership thing through Barnes because I ordered the no. 4 reloading manual, and I also have the load data available online for Barnes.

Breecher_7
    Want some help?

\/ What amazing looks like \/
    u do realize that the bullet shouldn't come appart if you if you go to a heaver grain bullet.. non the less thats ******* sweet