Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any Jeep guys in here?

If so I need your opinion on this cherokee I am going to go look at tonight. Its an 92 Cherokee with the 4.0 inline 6. He said it has a power steering leak and has a very slow coolant leak. It has 230,000 on it and he is asking $1200. Are these 4.0's known for going a long time or is that engine pretty much on the brink of death? Here is a link to the craigslist ad. Any know problems these cars have? Thanks for your input

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/car/564016785.html

PM Jeeperz, aka, Bgcntry.

Breecher_7
    I have a 96 Cherokee 4x4 with the 4.0L, auto and the NP242 T-Case. Thing has 152K on it and runs like a beast. Mine burns no oil although it does leak some from the rear main and the oil filter adapter. I suppose it could burn a little but after 3K miles its usually down less then a quart and im assuming thats just leakage.

I have the AW4 transmission, does not miss a beat. Only problems ive had so far was having to replace U-joints on the front axles and pads and rotors.

All in all they are great machines. I drive mine all the time, pretty much my daily driver.

Id say $1000 should take that home though, just basing it on milage.

That's pretty pricey for the mileage. I bought a slightly rough '87 with 210,xxx for $500. Basically the same car with a different interior. And I've seen some late 80s-early 90s XJs on CL around here for under a grand. The 4.0 engine is indestructable though, and it's got good torque. Severe lack of horsepower in the older models though.

Buy a cheap one and abuse the hell out of it.

In the bottom pic you can see the smoke pouring out underneath the truck. It burned oil like hell and still ran after I jammed it into a telephone pole. I can't tell you the abuse that thing suffered.
    -Patrick TSi
    I want to be able to spend my retirement years driving my Buick at wide open throttle, at 45 mph, 'cause I shifted into L instead of D. But it's my own damn business and not the government's.

The 4.0L is one of the best engines Chrysler or anyone else for that matter ever made. It runs virtually forever. Any straight 6 is a great engine design to begin with by nature - 7 main bearings, lots of main and rod bearing area, ideal balance without couterweights, etc. My Comanche has 300K miles on it and still runs perfect.
    96 Viper GTS Underground Racing Twin 78mm Precision turbos, Proline 510 stroker-1483RWHP
    73 Challenger Bickel Chassis, Indy 572 HEMI-860HP
    67 Plymouth Fury Police Pursuit, Indy 505-600HP
    94 Stealth RT/TT built 6G72, 13G, FMIC
    75 Trailduster 440 Convertible
    92 Galant VR4 #848
    04 Neon SRT4 Mods!

Jeez my old GC ran had 275k if I remember correctly and is still on the road. I think that price is high for a just a Cherokee though.

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yooformula View Post
    Jeez my old GC ran had 275k if I remember correctly and is still on the road. I think that price is high for a just a Cherokee though.
    Dude...it had 305,000+ when you bought it from me
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

hahahahaahaha. sorry Chris. I wish I still had it!
    I offer online scheduling using BookFresh

What do you think I should offer him 800?

The power steering leak will most likely be a PITA. It's probably at the rack, which is pretty common. Coolant leak isn't a big deal. But yeah around $800 doesn't seem too bad. Make sure the 4x4 engages/disengages well.
    -Patrick TSi
    I want to be able to spend my retirement years driving my Buick at wide open throttle, at 45 mph, 'cause I shifted into L instead of D. But it's my own damn business and not the government's.

Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly View Post
    The power steering leak will most likely be a PITA. It's probably at the rack, which is pretty common. Coolant leak isn't a big deal. But yeah around $800 doesn't seem too bad. Make sure the 4x4 engages/disengages well.
    Negative.
    Jeep XJ has no 'rack'.
    Pump or resovoir, maybe the steering box.
    All common and cheap and easy fixes.
    Parts are plentiful.
    Offer $800, but take $1000.
    If the engine feels strong, the tranny shifts well, and there are no 'clunks', $1000 is about right.
    Engines will see 300k before rebuild if properly maintained.
    Tell 'em Billy sent ya!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeeprz View Post
    Negative.
    Jeep XJ has no 'rack'.
    Pump or resovoir, maybe the steering box.
    All common and cheap and easy fixes.
    Parts are plentiful.
    Offer $800, but take $1000.
    If the engine feels strong, the tranny shifts well, and there are no 'clunks', $1000 is about right.
    Engines will see 300k before rebuild if properly maintained.
    Hm, I've been misinformed. I take back what I said.
    -Patrick TSi

Breecher_7
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly View Post
    Hm, I've been misinformed. I take back what I said.
    Ya think?

I love my 88 POS Heep and you really cant beat that old AMC six cylinder, mine is 500 miles away from 180k and doesnt burn any oil. And starts great even in todays weather.

That 4.0 is basically unchanged since it was a 232 in 1964.
    They like 87 octane, regular oil, Champion Truck plugs (4412s are key), and little else.
    Fawkin' tractor motor...and I love it...
    Tell 'em Billy sent ya!

My family has a 96 cherokee with the 4L, a 93 cherokee with the 4L, an 05 grand with the 3.7, and an 05 grand with the hemi and not one of them has needed anything other than routine maintenance. i'd say go for it.
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
    04 Pontiac GTO
    72 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by loud91rs View Post
    My family has a 96 cherokee with the 4L, a 93 cherokee with the 4L, an 05 grand with the 3.7, and an 05 grand with the hemi and not one of them has needed anything other than routine maintenance. i'd say go for it.
    LOL at your avatar! I love Top Gear.

Hey were you trying to sell that '91 on CL?
    -Patrick TSi

No, but I have seen a few teal 91's on there lately. Are you in the market for one or something?
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
    04 Pontiac GTO
    72 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Yooformula View Post
    hahahahaahaha. sorry Chris. I wish I still had it!
    Its closing in on 322,000 with no major issues....and no, you cant have it!
    2012 Street Glide
    1971 Vista Cruiser 455
    2003 Duramax Dually Silverado 4x4
    1986 442

Quote Originally Posted by loud91rs View Post
    No, but I have seen a few teal 91's on there lately. Are you in the market for one or something?
    I'm really looking for a Mustang but I glance at the Camaros every so often.
    -Patrick TSi