Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reloading

Resident Hornet guru USMARINE1108's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 73Dustr View Post
    I was just curious. I suppose if a recipe is working, why change it? I just figured if two brands of primers were interchangeable, I might get the one that's a little cheaper. I wonder if there is some type of documentation of what primers are very similar. If I learn anything, I'll let you guys know.
    I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess you're looking for Federal primers?

Senior Member..now yer posting! 73Dustr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by USMARINE1108 View Post
    I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess you're looking for Federal primers?
    Yeah.

What kind of powder? I use a lot fo R-15, I'm switching to CCI primers since I can find them for now. The word is that Lake City (producers of military ammo) are beefing up production, so Federal (makes the primers for LC) has to keep up with them.

If you're interested, there is a guy who works at Sportsman's in New Berlin named Billy who is very knowledgable and a great guy. He's a good family friend. He gives the reloading class there, I can't think of a better guy to learn from. I've never been to his class, but can guarantee it's a good way to learn.

If you're interested, there is a guy who works at Sportsman's in New Berlin named Billy who is very knowledgable and a great guy. He's a good family friend. He gives the reloading class there, I can't think of a better guy to learn from. I've never been to his class, but can guarantee it's a good way to learn.
    Thanks for the tip.

I have 3,000 rounds of once fired .223 brass if anyone wants it.
    Owner of Sunset Self Storage LLC. LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED STORAGE. 24/7 access. No Contract length. Self Storage/Portable Storage/Vehicle Transport
    Thanks, Brad 262.751.9439

09 Cadillac CTS V Has some stuff done...
    05 Chevy Duramax: Best time in 4wd was 12.22 @ 108
    99 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic: Big Bore, Cams, tune.

Dusting off my knick knack... MurphysLaw88GT's Avatar
    i will take it

I didn't know Sportsman's had a class. I might have to enroll. Even though I don't see the need to have anything much hotter that the factory 4200 fps that my .204 has available.

Quote Originally Posted by UnderPSI View Post
    I have 3,000 rounds of once fired .223 brass if anyone wants it.
    If MurphysLaw doesn't want it, PM me a price if you are interested in shipping it.

Yeah.

I shot some loads with the CCI's this weekend and found that with R-15 I needed to drop the charge a little bit. That's with CCI's large rifle and small rifle. Once I found the right powder charge, my loads fired as accurately as the loads I had been making with Federal primers. I bought a few thousand of them.

I shot some loads with the CCI's this weekend and found that with R-15 I needed to drop the charge a little bit. That's with CCI's large rifle and small rifle. Once I found the right powder charge, my loads fired as accurately as the loads I had been making with Federal primers. I bought a few thousand of them.
    Well that's good to know. Maybe I'll just go with the CCI primers rather than the Federals. I still have to finish setting up my reloading bench.

Well that's good to know. Maybe I'll just go with the CCI primers rather than the Federals. I still have to finish setting up my reloading bench.

Have you been able to find Federals anyplace? Las place I saw them was a gunshow in Savannah about 2 months ago for $58/1000

Have you been able to find Federals anyplace? Las place I saw them was a gunshow in Savannah about 2 months ago for $58/1000
    I was looking a little bit today online. Midway is out of stock with no backorder. Cabela's has them on backorder and expects them to be shipped in 1-2 weeks. I might just go that route and stock up on some.

I was looking a little bit today online. Midway is out of stock with no backorder. Cabela's has them on backorder and expects them to be shipped in 1-2 weeks. I might just go that route and stock up on some.
    Cabella's was saying that 5-6 weeks ago.

Dusting off my knick knack... MurphysLaw88GT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4EYED View Post
    I didn't know Sportsman's had a class. I might have to enroll. Even though I don't see the need to have anything much hotter that the factory 4200 fps that my .204 has available.
    i like the "location" you have listed

Cabella's was saying that 5-6 weeks ago.
    Did you order some from them?

No I didnt, but I've been watching like a hawk as a lot of shooters are for them to come into stock anyplace. They all dried up when Federal started filling a Lake City military contract. Federal is telling dealers now to not expect any in 2008. Oh well, I can't think of a better place for the supply to go then making "pink mist".

So how close are you to making a round?

So how close are you to making a round?
    Well, I have my bench all set to go. I have brass. I still need to get some powder, bullets, and primers. I also plan on getting a tumbler, then I'll be set to go. I figure I should start within a few weeks. I'm not in a huge hurry because I would like a little warmer weather for range days. Hopefully I'll start soon, I've just been busy with other stuff.

I talked to a rep. from Barnes and he said that you can change out primers regardless to brand. Large rifle for large rifle, magnum for magnum. I was curious what primer would be a good substitute because Federals are impossible to find and he said another brand of rifle mag primers would be fine. I would imagine certain primers would yield different results to some extent. I'll soon find out.