Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reloading

Senior Member..now yer posting! 73Dustr's Avatar

Reloading

How many of you in here reload? I am looking into possibly starting to reload rifle cartridges and eventually handgun loads. From some other sources, I have heard a lot of people suggest the RCBS Master kit to get started. I would like a decent setup that I can start with, but won't cost an arm and a leg. I should mention, I plan to start slow with a single stage. Thanks in advance

Senior Member..now yer posting! Boost21's Avatar
    I used to reload shells, but not rifle cartrages. I doubt its the same process, but shotgun shells were straight forward to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Boost21 View Post
    I used to reload shells, but not rifle cartrages. I doubt its the same process, but shotgun shells were straight forward to do.
    I understand the process behind it all, now I'm just looking into the actual equipment.

Resident Hornet guru USMARINE1108's Avatar
    My lineup:
    Lee Classic press
    Forster benchrest dies
    Forster trimmer
    Dillon tumbler
    Redding powder measurer
    Dillon electric scale
    My other odds and ends are Dillon and Forster

Lots of people like the RCBS Rockcruser, I've got a buddy who uses it just fine. I like the Lee because it has the priming tool built in, and it's a little "beefier". I imagine both work just fine. Reloading is the only way to go these days with centerfire ammunition getting so expensive. For precision, you can't go wrong.

What do you plan on reloading for?

Quote Originally Posted by USMARINE1108 View Post
    My lineup:
    Lee Classic press
    Forster benchrest dies
    Forster trimmer
    Dillon tumbler
    Redding powder measurer
    Dillon electric scale
    My other odds and ends are Dillon and Forster

Lots of people like the RCBS Rockcruser, I've got a buddy who uses it just fine. I like the Lee because it has the priming tool built in, and it's a little "beefier". I imagine both work just fine. Reloading is the only way to go these days with centerfire ammunition getting so expensive. For precision, you can't go wrong.

What do you plan on reloading for?
    I was looking into the RCBS Master kit and that looked pretty good. I want to reload 270 WSM, .40S&W for starters and then go friom there. I also shoot a lot of 7.62x39, but that's so cheap as it is. Come this summer I'll probably be getting a 22-250 so I'd reload that as well. I really the idea of playing aroud with different "recipes" to get the best performance out my rifles. Not to mention, $40/box of the WSM is getting old.

No, I have not got any manuals yet. Thanks for the suggestions.

BCM Cruiser
    Yes, That is the kit I started out with about 18 years ago..I still use it for today. There are more things you are going to need that the kit does not have in it, but that it like everything...If you have any questions or need to copy some receipe books PM me and we will get together..

Damn all this talk about reloading makes me think I should actually take my Pro1000 out of the box and set it up. I mean I've only had it for 10 years
    Jamie

01 F150 Screw 5.4 4x4 99 VW Jetta 64 Olds Cutlass
    83 Cutlass Gbody Wagon 85 Suzuki GS700ES needs some new parts now

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Power View Post
    Damn all this talk about reloading makes me think I should actually take my Pro1000 out of the box and set it up. I mean I've only had it for 10 years
    Well what are you waiting for?

First it was buying a house so I could set it up in my own basement, well I've owned a house for 5 years so now it's just laziness and a lack of a bench
    It's a 10mm model but I bought the stuff to change it to .40 ,which I think was just stuff to change the primer size IIRC. Now I don't have a .40 anymore, so I need to buy 9mm dies. I've started keeping cases and have a few hundred so it's a start.
    Jamie

01 F150 Screw 5.4 4x4 99 VW Jetta 64 Olds Cutlass
    83 Cutlass Gbody Wagon 85 Suzuki GS700ES needs some new parts now

Well I picked up some equipment to get started. Ended up getting the RCBS Master kit, case trimmer and other odds and ends. Got a pretty reasonable deal from a friend of the family. Now I just have to find some time to start setting things up. Now I have a reason to get out to the range a lot more this spring/summer. Question for you experienced reloaders, when following a recipe, do you guys stick to the primers listed, or is that not a big deal? I realize substituting powders could make a huge different, but are primers pretty interchangeable?

^^^ What did that setup run ya' and where did you get it from?

I'm looking to start reloading a bunch of different calibers. With factory stuff getting pricey, and owning so many different calibers, it's almost worth it as this point.

I actually found a deal on CL and paid $200 and got:

RCBS Master Kit
    RCBS Case Trimmer
    Case holder Set
    Bunch of hand tools (brushes, deburring tools, etc)
    2 3 die sets
    Press mount
    Powder trickler
    Brass, powder, primers

I looked up everything that I got and there is easily $500 of equipment, so I'm happy. I know you can get the RCBS Master kit new from Cabela's for $270 through their catalog or online. Gander wants $330 for the same kit. It might not hurt to look at CL, because that's what I have been doing. I've seen two reloading kits on there in the past month. The first one I was too slow to respond, and the second one I bought. If you don't get the Cabela's Shooting catalog, go online and request one. It has all the different reloading equipment, kits, etc. and is broken down by brand. It's nice to use for comparing stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by 73Dustr View Post
    I realize substituting powders could make a huge different, but are primers pretty interchangeable?
    Can't help you out much there. Havent switched primers, but will be soon.

I was just curious. I suppose if a recipe is working, why change it? I just figured if two brands of primers were interchangeable, I might get the one that's a little cheaper. I wonder if there is some type of documentation of what primers are very similar. If I learn anything, I'll let you guys know.

We should make a list of who reloads what so we know who wants the brass. I have a ton for calibers I don't even own.
    Owner of Sunset Self Storage LLC. LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED STORAGE. 24/7 access. No Contract length. Self Storage/Portable Storage/Vehicle Transport
    Thanks, Brad 262.751.9439

09 Cadillac CTS V Has some stuff done...
    05 Chevy Duramax: Best time in 4wd was 12.22 @ 108
    99 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic: Big Bore, Cams, tune.

Dusting off my knick knack... MurphysLaw88GT's Avatar
    I need 30-06 or 7.62x51 brass

Come on over and get it then.
    Owner of Sunset Self Storage LLC. LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED STORAGE. 24/7 access. No Contract length. Self Storage/Portable Storage/Vehicle Transport
    Thanks, Brad 262.751.9439

09 Cadillac CTS V Has some stuff done...
    05 Chevy Duramax: Best time in 4wd was 12.22 @ 108
    99 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic: Big Bore, Cams, tune.

270 WSM
    222 Rem
    40 S&W