Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I wanna go fast... $title Champion Crawlin's Avatar

Guns, Gun Dealers, Shooting Ranges....

I want to make this a sticky at some point.

The object of this post is for all of you weapon experts to point out WHAT shops and maybe a NAME of a person to talk to so that the inexperienced people may have a place to visit when considering their first firearm purchase(like I am).

I would also like to see a list of shooting ranges, both indoor and outdoor and what each place caters to(i.e. if they don't allow certain types of guns)

I would also like to see recommended manufacturer's and WHY for certain types of guns. For my personal gun, I wanted just a nice semi-auto rifle to hit the range with. I see AR-15 popped around alot, but I also see a TON of different manufacturer's of those type weapons. Same thing goes for pistols. (www.gunbroker.com has got me drooling) I see a huge variety of opinions on 9mm and .45 models. It would be nice to condense this all into a big post to sticky for new users as I don't see this site going away anytime soon

Thanks guys. I will continually update this thread with your information.

Recommended Gun Dealers -

1. Badger Outdoors
    2. Shooter's Shop
    3. Shooters Sport Center

Recommended Shooting Ranges -

1. Badger Outdoors (Indoor Range/Handguns Only)
    2. McMillers (Outdoor Range/Variety Allowed/No .50 BMG Rifles)
    3. Shooter's Shop (Indoor Range/Handguns Only)
    4. Shooters Sport Center (Indoor Range/Handguns Only)
    5. Vilas Co. Shooting Range in Eagle River (Outdoor Range/Variety Allowed)

Recommended Ammo For Caliber-

1. White Box Winchester Ammo (Handguns)
    2. Green Tip 5.56 (AR Shooting)
    3. Federal Hydra-Shok JHP (Personal Defense)
    Last edited by Crawlin; 01-16-2008 at 09:10 AM.

I want a sig sauer p226 9, I don't know much about guns but I am told sig's will never jam
    iPedal : AIM:BMXpORK : Milwaukee, Wi : SUICIDEDOORS

"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

Breecher_7
    Ok, Here we go.

As ive stated before in threads I have a class 3 firearms permit and can legally transfer firearms for my own personal use (i believe we have another member here that can transfer as well). I do used to do alot of competitive shooting, I dont any longer because I just dont have the time for it.

Im sure we will get several different recommendations for shops and ranges, where to to, where not to go and alot of reasons why. Here is my input on that.

As far as purchasing firearms, I go to Badger Outdoors. Yes the sales staff here is a bit "clicky" and they dont seem all that friendly and it may seem to first time buyers as bad customer service. Truth is, this place does not deal in firearms that a first time buyer will most likely be purchasing, they are the only dealer in the milwaukee area that I know of that carries alot of hard to find and high end firearms. There sales staff is extremely knowledgeable and they will take care of you. They also have an indoor range, nothing facncy but it works just fine. They used to allow small caliber rifles but last time I checked they only allow handguns now.

A place I will never step foot inside again, Fletchers in waukesha, place is a joke and the staff is a bunch of assclowns in my oppinion.

As far as outdoor ranges are concerned, I dont think you can beat McMillers, it is owned and operated by the DNR. They have everything from your short range shooting to a 200-300yd long range. Rates are reasonable and there is always knowledgeable people there.

Now Chris you mentioned a nice semi auto to hit the range with. The AR-15 is your top candidate, firearm is reasonably priced from the get go and the ammo is cheap. With factory adjustable sights this gun is good to id say 200yds for a beginner. You have alot of options when it comes to these guns but if you want the best bang for your buck and the best gun for the money from the get go, go buy a Colt. Bushmaster, RRA and many others make nice AR's, but the Colt is still the best from the factory in my oppinion.

As far as a autoloader handgun is concerned, take your pick. For a 9mm Id go with a Springfield XD with the 5" tactical barrel. For a .45 Id go with a Kimber for target, a Springfield XD for service.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Tony, that's the kinda post we lost in the server blow up, but is needed. if I were to do a handgun, i'd rather do a 9mm for ammo cost seems to be lower.

Speaking of, how about a recommended ammo portion?

Breecher_7
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawlin View Post
    Thanks Tony, that's the kinda post we lost in the server blow up, but is needed. if I were to do a handgun, i'd rather do a 9mm for ammo cost seems to be lower.

Speaking of, how about a recommended ammo portion?

I load my own ammo for most of my stuff.

For AR target shooting, nothing beats good old green tip 5.56 military ammo. That is your best bang for your buck.

Handgun ammo, for target shooting id say white box winchester ammo from wal-mart.

For personal defense, Federal Hydra-Shok JHP's, hands down.....

Oh and for your section above, McMillers does not allow .50 BMG rifles.

I like Shooter's shop in West Allis and Shooters Sport Center in Racine. Handguns only as far as I know. Shooters Sport center has a nice range and is cheaper then the one in West Allis $10 vs $15.
    I like Winchester White box form Wally mart 15.97/100 for 9mm . I have an 03 C&R FFL and get dealer discounts at a lot of places and its still cheaper at walmart.
    I go to McMiller for rifles $14/ all day or $10/hour.

I like federal and corbon for defense ammo. Wolf for feeding AK's.

For handguns I love my 3rd gen Smith& Wesson. Never had a failure with either my old Ruger P-89 or my old Glock 23 .40 . Had good luck with Taurus Millenium Pro's in .380 and 9mm. Heard good things about the S&W M&P.

Sportman's Warehouse has some of the best prices on guns.
    Jamie

01 F150 Screw 5.4 4x4 99 VW Jetta 64 Olds Cutlass
    83 Cutlass Gbody Wagon 85 Suzuki GS700ES needs some new parts now

Dusting off my knick knack... MurphysLaw88GT's Avatar
    As for 5.56x45, depeds on what the ROT (rate of twist) on the barrel would be as to what would be ideal.

Dusting off my knick knack... MurphysLaw88GT's Avatar
    I just wish wally-world carried the Winchester white box 7.62 NATO, cant find that around here easily.

Breecher_7
    Quote Originally Posted by MurphysLaw88GT View Post
    I just wish wally-world carried the Winchester white box 7.62 NATO, cant find that around here easily.
    No kidding!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MurphysLaw88GT View Post
    True dat. Next time I am in muskego I'll have to check out my "secret spot" and see if he has some. Got a decent price on Wolf 203 grn SP for my M38 for deer season.
    Jamie

Oh and for my Milsurp Rifles I usually shoot surplus ammo.Right now I have Yugo for 8mm and I have Albanian for my 7.62x54r but I may pick up some other stuff too.
    Buy it Cheap and Stack it DEEP.

Speaking of WWB 9mm, after xmas I was gong to pick some up at the new berlin walmart and some dude bought all the WWB and Rem UMC 100 packs before I could get any, $300+ .
    SO I had to go to a different wallymart.
    Jamie

America... **** YEAH! Knyghtmare's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Breecher_7 View Post
    As far as a autoloader handgun is concerned, take your pick. For a 9mm Id go with a Springfield XD with the 5" tactical barrel. For a .45 Id go with a Kimber for target, a Springfield XD for service.

Exactly! I will swear by my XD. It is perfect for a first handgun as well for anyone who wants to get into it. Anyone who has fired my XD has gotten one of their own. I also just picked up a Kimber 1911 .45. Very nice gun.
    -Tyler

Don't drink and Post!
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAzzGTA89
    I just hope you don't want a Knyghtmare in your street dreams
    1991 Camaro, LS1 Powered -- 2000 Silverado 1500

You forgot to add the Vilas Co. shooting range in Eagle River. I always make sure to donate some $ when I go. They use the money to replace the boards that the targets hang on.
    Owner of Sunset Self Storage LLC. LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED STORAGE. 24/7 access. No Contract length. Self Storage/Portable Storage/Vehicle Transport
    Thanks, Brad 262.751.9439

09 Cadillac CTS V Has some stuff done...
    05 Chevy Duramax: Best time in 4wd was 12.22 @ 108
    99 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic: Big Bore, Cams, tune.

The white box Winchester is the best deal for most handgun ammo period. Especially 9mm.
    -Tyler

Don't drink and Post!

What's the procedure for the FFL stuff? Let's say I found something I liked. Do I just need to say "hey i want this shipped here" or something and pay them their fee? What do I need from the FFL?

Im looking for a place to have my AR15 stripped lower shipped and I went to Fletcher's because they are close and they want $50 just to recieve a damn stripped lower. What a joke.

EDIT: After calling around a bit more. Gander Mountain in Waukesha has the cheapest transfer fee of $35... Thats still a lot in my opinion. I don't see why it has to cost anything at all.
    Last edited by Knyghtmare; 01-16-2008 at 04:09 PM.
    -Tyler

Don't drink and Post!

Breecher_7
    If you are buying somthing online that requires a FFL, such as a lower ar reciever. You would need to find a a dealer or person with a FFL and have them do the transfer. The dealer will most likely charge you a fee to transfer somthing to them though. In some cases its cheaper to just buy the part through them at that point. This is why there a few of us with personal transfer permits, if you do alot of things that would require an FFL, its worth it.

I know Shooters in Racine will let you shoot a 22LR at their range too. I like to do that once in a while since it's cheap and accurate. Nothing like drawing a smiley face on a paper squirrel 25 yards down range...

I used a guy in tosa that I found on gunbroker. $20 for my Cetme reciever (needed an 01 since it's not C&R) from century. Real nice guy and got everything coordinated with century. I paid century for the rec, then paid him the $20 when it was in.
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by Knyghtmare View Post
    I don't see why it has to cost anything at all.
    Your basically paying for his time and for him doing the paperwork and calling it in. Some places are really high to discourage you from buying from someone else.

I've seen stripped lowers at the gunshows for in the$110-$120 range then you can skip the transfer fee, just an idea.
    Jamie