Threaded View

Everyone's missing out on the Real Street Drags at Great Lakes Dragaway

Out of all my drag racing friends, NONE of them ever seems to want to go to the Real Street Drags. I always go by myself. So since evidently some people don't know what's so good about it, I'm gonna enlighten everyone!! :cool2:

Once a month on a Thursday night at Great Lakes Dragaway they have the "Real Street Drags". If I were to rent a dragstrip and throw a big party, this is something like how it would turn out !!! What it is, is drag racing from 3 PM until 11 PM with the ET clocks turned off. You can do time runs from 3 PM until 8-10 PM and you will get a LOT of runs in if you get there early. Not only that but they prep the track surface BETTER than any other day I go there and I've probably raced at GLD 20 different days in the past 2 years. Yes you still get a timeslip but only half (so you cant see what the other guy ran).

But the real point of it is the "street racing". You set up a race for fun or a certain amount of money, and set up the start (do you give him 5 lengths and the smack or do you wanna start heads up or even off the Christmas tree or a Pro tree?), and they run the race. These are the real exciting races that happen from about 9 PM until 11:30 PM (well the lanes close at 11 PM but it almost always continues for at least another half hour.) The big street racers from Illinois show up and have some big grudge matches with some SERIOUS cars, I dont think I've been to an RSD where I didn't see half a dozen 9 second cars and a handful faster than that. I cant tell you how fun it is to watch 2 huge "posses" gather around their respective cars and race 2 low 10 second or 9 second cars for $5000!! I've seen guys leave before the flag gets dropped and the other guy still goes anyways and barely beats him on the top end of the track while the whole crowd is screaming and shouting!!

That's the other thing, the crowd is HUGE and it's 90% people in the age range 18-30. The little stands in front are packed to the brim (you will be bumping into people) and there is ALWAYS a handful of hotties there wearing incredibly skimpy clothes. I dont know what it is about RSD but I seen carloads of pure chicks (no guys present) waiting in line to get in. Not only that but if you race its a blast to race in front of a huge crowd. It is just like racing at the street races in Milwaukee or whereever in front of a crowd except you won't get busted. The only thing about racing at RSD is it's better if you have something impressively fast (either something "real fast" or something thats much faster than it looks). Reason being, the competition is quite stiff so lately I've just been going to watch cause its so damn fun to stand up in the stands with the rest of the crowd. They have specific RSD announcers who call out some of the races and its pretty funny to hear the smack talk.
    Last edited by Syclone0044; 08-26-2003 at 02:01 AM.