Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Breecher_7
    Id just buy a fully assembled Colt AR-15 and be done with it. Then modify as you want. Start with a great platform that technically needs nothing.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/colt_rifles.html

Dusting off my knick knack... MurphysLaw88GT's Avatar
    the stripped lower has to be sent thru an FFL, but a parts kit will be fine to be sent right to your house. If badger or cabellas has lowers there go buy one if you want.

you wont regret assembling your own, it is fun and you will learn that particular firearm very well. Great learning experience.
    Last edited by MurphysLaw88GT; 01-15-2008 at 12:16 PM.

Breecher_7
    Quote Originally Posted by MurphysLaw88GT View Post

you wont regret assembling your own, it is fun and you will learn that particular firearm very well. Great learning experience.
    Agreed......

But as a first time owner with no experience with that firearm, i would recommend a complete firearm.

headspace shmedspace

I wanna go fast... $title Champion Crawlin's Avatar
    HAHAHA

i've read alot about that, but I guess the part that confuses me and I may just be looking into it TOO much, but at what point in the assembly process would that be checked?

i believe it is when the barrel extension is installed on the barrel on that particuar arm, or when a different bolt is installed

so if buying a "complete upper", one would be safe to assume that it was already checked?

CHecking headspace is for suckers. J/K
    Jamie

01 F150 Screw 5.4 4x4 99 VW Jetta 64 Olds Cutlass
    83 Cutlass Gbody Wagon 85 Suzuki GS700ES needs some new parts now

Resident Hornet guru USMARINE1108's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawlin View Post
    so if buying a "complete upper", one would be safe to assume that it was already checked?
    Yes. If you buy a complete upper assembled at a factory, the headspace will be checked and it will have been test fired. Always weird buying a brand new gun and when you take it out of the box it's dirty! Anyway, the idea is that since the upper and barrel are both milspec, they will headspace just fine. I know quite a few people who have built AR's and not checked headspace before putting rounds down range and had no problems. However, the way I look at it, a headspace gauge is cheep peice of mind. I check it at assembly and after 100 rounds. Yes, they have always headspaced fine for me and required no tweeking. No, I've never seen one be out of spec after 100 rounds. However, better safe then sorry. Just like when you build a motor, you're going to watch it like a hawk.

Just to clarify a little more, a stripped lower needs to go through a FFL (gun shop). Every other part can go to your house via USPS, UPS, FEDEX, carrier pigeon etc. The lower has to go through a FFL because it has a serial number, and a backround check needs to be done (that's what the FFL does for you).

And for the record, I'm a fan of building my own. A quality rifle can be built and speced how you want it much cheaper. But, it's up to the individual. It's just like building/modding a car the way I see it. You can do it yourself and take it to GLD or you can have it built by a shop and take it to GLD. I will say that I do highly recommend some firearms safety/handling/marksmanship training for anyone who has never had it.

***nevermind, I just saw the other thread......***
    Last edited by USMARINE1108; 01-17-2008 at 12:06 AM.

Alright, how about another quick question...

WI have any sort of overall length requirements for it to be classified as a "rifle"? I know the overall barrel length has to be 16" unless getting the tax stamp/permit setup as a short-barrel-rifle. But looking for OVERALL length

Since the assault weapon ban has expired, i'm assuming a collapsible stock is OK now? Or is that only on certain vintage equipment?

I have finally gotten around to throwing the cetme on the mill to drill the barrel pin hole. Next is welding the cocking tube,(one of my friends since I don't know how to tig) then eventually the range
    Still looks like this but with a pin in the hole to hold the barrel
    Jamie

\/ What amazing looks like \/
    i wish a had a cool ass assault rifle to show off but all i have is my fully decked out rem 700 sps dm tactical.. well its just a sps but it has the drop mag thus making it a dm..

looks like this with out the muzzle break...

and my defender.

and a few other random rifles and hunting guns.

Quote Originally Posted by nramlow2006 View Post
    i wish a had a cool ass assault rifle to show off
    I wish I did to, but it's just a semi auto sporting rifle, made from a parts kit with some compliance parts
    I don't have $14-16K for a real, full auto assault rifle.
    Nice defender and Bolt rifle
    Jamie

Breecher_7
    Sell that 700 SPS and buy a 700 PSS or LTR. That SPS is a waste of money as far as tactical rifles are concerned. Its hunting rifle man.

Did someone say Assault rifles????

And yes, its real.....

The SPS DM and the SPS Tactical are 2 different rifles.
    http://www.remington.com/products/fi...700_SPS_DM.asp

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...el_700_SPS.asp

The SPS Varmint is the same rifle as the 700PSS, just a different stock. The 700PSS has a HS precision kevlar stock with a full length aluminum bedding block while the SPS has a Houge rubber stock.

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...PS_varmint.asp

http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/700p.htm

Same goes for the 700LTR and 700SPS tactical, just different stocks. Same barrel, action, bolt, trigger etc.

http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/700pltr.htm

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...el_700_SPS.asp

Nothing wrong with any of the rifles if used for their intended purpose.

Breecher_7
    I am not a fan of the SPS, at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Breecher_7 View Post
    I am not a fan of the SPS, at all.

LOL, I can tell! to be fair, I've only shot the PSS and LTR. Personaly, I like my PSS over the LTR because of the extra velocity gained. The weight doesn't bother me.

My PSS. I bought it as a "budget" paper puncher, even took the glass off another rifle. It's got a Seekins 20MOA base and rings. I tweeked the factory trigger and that's about it. The only factory rounds that have been through this rifle are whatever Remington put through it. It likes just about any load you feed it but loves:
    WCC brass
    42.8 R-15 powder
    FED 210 primers
    Sierra Matchking 168 gr HPBTs seated to the lands.

I've shot a few 5 shot groups in the low .3MOA range with it, but it will consistantly shoot .4MOA. As long as there's no loose nut behind the trigger. I'll bed it someday, but until the barrel is shot out that's it.

Yes, the paint is just for looks, it serves no purpose at all as this rifle just sees the range.

Last edited by USMARINE1108; 03-16-2008 at 08:06 PM.

Breecher_7
    Quote Originally Posted by USMARINE1108 View Post
    My PSS. I bought it as a "budget" paper puncher, even took the glass off another rifle. It's got a Seekins 20MOA base and rings. I tweeked the factory trigger and that's about it. The only factory rounds that have been through this rifle are whatever Remington put through it. It likes just about any load you feed it but loves:
    WCC brass
    42.8 R-15 powder
    FED 210 primers
    Sierra Matchking 168 gr HPBTs seated to the lands.

I've shot a few groups in the low .3MOA range with it, but it will consistantly shoot .4MOA. As long as there's no loose nut behind the trigger.

Yes, the paint is just for looks, it serves no purpose at all.

Very nice, what kind of optics? Almost looks like a super sniper, very well could be wrong though. Cant beat them for the money though!

Yeah, it's a super sniper. Very good glass for the money. It's a 10X mildot. The only complaint I have is the windage/elevation knobs don't have a solid "click" to them, but what are you gonna do for the price? The glass is very clear, on par with Leupolds if you ask me. Last week I shot it in the rain (under a covered bench) and the glass didn't fog up at all. It's not a high end optic, and I didn't expect that performance, but I am very happy with it. I'm thinking about picking up another one, but will most likely stick with Leupy.

Since this was a "budget paper puncher", it shares a Harris with another rifle. I think once the barrel is shot out, it will become a .260.
    Last edited by USMARINE1108; 03-16-2008 at 09:25 PM.