'98 Plymouth Voyager: engine miss

1998 Plymouth Voyager: 2.3 liter 105,000 miles. Recently started running really rough, especially when taking off from a stop, freeway cruising speed the engine runs great. Seems like an engine miss, like a fouled out spark plug but they look good.
    A few days ago the van was left parked with almost no gas (wife), it sat for 2 days before filling it up, that's when I noticed the "miss", and the check engine light came on at this time. When taking off from a stop and the van is chuggin away, the C.E. light flashes.

any thoughts?
    Last edited by u_say_go; 12-13-2007 at 10:05 PM.

obviously sounds like a misfire code and when the light falshes, that means that the problem is happening and the computer is seeing that. see if a buddy/ autozone can pull all the code(s) and report back.

Clinton
    70 challenger- JUST SITTING
    63 Dodge polara- 588 HEMI-1101 rwhp & 1090 rwtq. 8.07 @ 168
    99 Ram 4x4- slow DD
    The toys- 08 Polaris IQR 600RR and Polaris Predator 500 Cross Country

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Doesn't the 98 still go by the "key trick" too?
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

went to auto zone and used their scanner....code came back "cylinder 3 misfire", which made sense cuz that's exactly what is seemed like- a misfire.

Pulled the spark plug on cylinder 3 and it was horrible; caked with fuel and gunk. replaced all 4 plugs and it's still chuggin away and the check engine light is still on and still flashing. I pulled the boot on each plug and checked for a spark, seems like each wire is throwing a decent arc.

any other tips?

get some heet in the fuel tank and a fresh tank of fuel to start with. leavin a gas tank empty isn't good in cold, can get some condensation. how old is the exhaust/cat? PCV Valve?
    "A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Jeremy Clarkson

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Check the cranking compression if you've got a tester too....
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

replace the ignition wires. They are very common to be a problem on these engines.

I just got done testing the fuel pressure: reading should be between 43-53psi, I had 51psi.
    I also checked the spark again: all I did was put a bolt into the plug wire boot and rested it against the intake, cranked the engine and there was an arc. Does this really mean anything though? Could the plug wires still be bad?
    Earlier today I filled up with premium and ran 2 bottles of ISO Heat (red), the van was chugging really bad, misfire and the occasional slight backfire. Now tonight, it's running better, but not great.

again, thanks for your input everyone, I appreciate your help.

Using premium gas will only hurt it if anything, especially with the cold temperatures....

Give it a couple days and see if it clears up completely......

Last edited by Car Guy; 12-14-2007 at 11:44 PM.

new wires should be a first. when cold, damp, rainy, wet conditions the plug wires will ark on differant places or when they get hot, they will have to much resistance to fire the plug. remember spark is lazy and wants to take the easiest path to ground.

Clinton
    70 challenger- JUST SITTING
    63 Dodge polara- 588 HEMI-1101 rwhp & 1090 rwtq. 8.07 @ 168
    99 Ram 4x4- slow DD
    The toys- 08 Polaris IQR 600RR and Polaris Predator 500 Cross Country

Quote Originally Posted by 70challenger View Post
    remember spark is lazy and wants to take the easiest path to ground.

My shop teacher in high school used to say that 'spark' was similar to most of the students in attendance, but that was the extent of it because nobody was 'energized' about classwork.....

One other thing you could try (to find out for sure if it's the wires) is getting the engine warm and lightly misting the wires with water from a spray bottle. If you do it in a dark area you might also be able to see the spark(s) jumping ground with your eyes.....

Last edited by Car Guy; 12-16-2007 at 04:10 PM.