Senior Member..now yer posting! Asteroids Champion Karts Champion penji04's Avatar

WTB 4.3L vortech engine

I need a vortech engine out of a Chevy Astro, GMC Safari or S-10 For my bro's astro van that overheated on a grand scale and took the engine out. The lower the mileage the better but if the price is right and its a good runner im interested.

Thanks, Eric
    2007 Cobalt SS Stage II
    2007 Toyota 4runner

A: no such thing as a Vortech in GMs.
    B: there are about 4 different varieties of the 4.3 liter motor. 2 varieties of the Vortec motor.
    C: different years require different setups, so further description is needed
    "A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Jeremy Clarkson

pickardracing
    What year

8th of the VIN will dictate the exact motor. But as far as
    "your" emissions concerns go any vortech 4.3 will fire right
    up and run with your computer. I have access to one by the way.
    http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/
    Watching the country collapse in front of me while nobody else notices...

Senior Member..now yer posting! Asteroids Champion Karts Champion penji04's Avatar

Ok so heres some more info since i really have no clue about what varies on these engines. The 8th vin # is a W and its a 95 chevy astro. If theres any other info needed let me know. Thanks everyone.
    2007 Cobalt SS Stage II
    2007 Toyota 4runner

any 4.3 should work....only thing i can see throwing it off was if you put a cpi in it....."w" 4.3's aren't hard to find...try calling some local boneyards...
    Brandon
    2004.5 K2500hd LLY Dmax/Allison EC/SB - Minor Mod's
    2005 Trailblazer Lt 4x4 - Wife's - Stock
    PS3HANDLE:SilverStreak82

Yicks, might be it be a TBI 4.3 with the vortec heads? Unless those are odd balls, i have seen them. But if its a LS astro i would assume the H.O. CPI vortec 4.3 And deff Not the SFI vortec 4300 of 96 +

Its right on that edge of balance shaft motors i think? 96?? and 95 was the year if pull ahead models for GM too... who knows.

Technically you just need to verify if a balance shaft motor or not and find the right motor according to that. No visual external cues w/o pulling intake or TC cover.
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

it's not a sfi those came in 96 which my truck is.....it's prolly just a tbi with vortec heads....
    Brandon
    2004.5 K2500hd LLY Dmax/Allison EC/SB - Minor Mod's
    2005 Trailblazer Lt 4x4 - Wife's - Stock
    PS3HANDLE:SilverStreak82

pickardracing
    95 was the ****ed up year. Even the VIN code doesnt help.

What you need to do is go out and look at the motor. Is is CPI (evidenced by an LS1-looking aluminum runnered intake manifold with a big red VORTEC logo on it) or a TBI?

If it's a CPI, look at the dizzy. to the plug wires exit from the top of the dizz or the side?

Report back.

95 is the L35 motor. Actually among the highest HP depending on the camshaft. 95 would be the last year before the Vortec heads were introduced (1996).

PS: "Vortech" is an aftermarket supercharger manufacturer.
    Josh
    91 GMC Syclone, full street trim, full accessories, stock bottom end.
    11.45 @ 117.7 57mm PT51 turbo at 20 PSI, 93 octane street tune w/alcohol injection. D.I.Y. Budget build, <$4500 under the hood complete.

w code in 1995 is the cpi or spider injection