Resident Hornet guru USMARINE1108's Avatar

What's broke? need some help!

Okay, three days before I left for Japan, I'm driving my daily driver (1990 Volkswagon Fox) down the road and it suddenly sounds/feels like a cinder block is stuck under the car. Get out and take a look, notice that the front left wheel is smoking a little bit and the top of the tire is tilted into the wheel well, while the bottom of the tire is tilted out. So, I have one of my buddy's tow the car back to my house and don't worry about it until I get back to the states. I'll be back in the states next month and would like to order the parts I need and have them waiting for me to fix my car when I get back. Problem being, I have no clue about front suspension! Can someone help me out by telling me what the part/parts are called that's broken? The brake disk ground into the caliper, so I'll need a new caliper I'm sure, but that's all I know. Yes, feel free to make fun of me all you want.

Shot with SPH-A920. at 1969-12-31

Last edited by USMARINE1108; 06-23-2007 at 07:37 AM.

looks like the ball joint took a poo

yep ball joint.....just be happy you arnt having electrical issues that I had with my old vw fox
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    stew - continuing confirmation of the hypothesis that marbles aren't sharp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Jim you build... break... and rebuild cars faster than I can put one together.

Resident Hornet guru USMARINE1108's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neuwave View Post
    yep ball joint.....just be happy you arnt having electrical issues that I had with my old vw fox
    Ha, funny you say that. I got the car for real cheap from a guy who was sick of troubleshooting the electrical system. I don't have all the bugs worked out yet, but all the big ones are fixed. It's a great car for a daily driver.

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    ball joint,also all that grease under there looks like the outer axle boot is ripped open to, also wonder about the hub and bearing , the ball joint wont usually cause the brake damages. the ball joint holds the bearing and hub, but the bearing and hub have the padholder and caliper mounted to them, they would move together,unless the axle is seperated or broken also i think you may need brakes as a seperate issue.

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605

Wow, this happened to me 3 days after it happened to you. I feel your pain