98 Grand Am water pump

Will water leak out of a water pump bad enough to make a good size puddle if the car isn't running? There is coolant leaking from the water pump and I parked the car next to the garage. I haven't driven it for a few days and when I went out there, there was a good size puddle. I plan on putting on a new water pump, but want to make sure that there isn't something else that could be bad. I don't see anything sign of a hose leaking. When I grab them the seem good and don't leak. But the fluid is under the car more toward the oil pan. It is forsure coolant. Must just be seaping back there. The water pump is in the front passenger side of the car.

are you asking for someone to do it for you or test it for you??

i have a coolant pressure tester and do side work.

The man in the box Jukebox Hero Champion My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion Smaugs Treasure Champion Lash's Avatar
    Fire it up and see if it leaks when it's running...normally you can actually see the leak while it's running on those cars. Just be glad it's the V-6. The water pumps are much easier to replace on those than the 2.4 Grand Am's.

Quote Originally Posted by Berettaspeed View Post
    are you asking for someone to do it for you or test it for you??

i have a coolant pressure tester and do side work.
    I am just asking if the water pump leaks even though the car isn't running. I noticed that there was a puddle of anti freeze under the car when it was running. I didn't look at the water pump while it was running. I parked the car and it has been sitting since Thursday. I went out there today and noticed that there was a pretty big dried up puddle. The area around the pump to pretty wet so that is why I am assuming that it is the pump. I think I can change it my self. I haven't done one before, but this one looks pretty easy to do as it is right on the top of the motor. Is there anything I should be careful of when doing it? Maybe they are harder to change than I am thinking. I will go out and fill up the coolant then start it and see if I can see it leaking. I think I should be able to as big as the puddle was when it sat and idled for about 3 min before I noticed that it was leaking.

Thanks for the help guys.

look at the bottom of the shaft. there should be a hole. when these are bad usually it will leak from here. but check it when the car is COLD so nothing drips in your eyes.. (yeah don't ask)

but you should see some coolant residue. thats a cgood indication its bad.

also when installing the new one alot of times 4 or 3 bolts will line up but the others will not. it seems as though it lines up, but then you struggle on the last 2 bolts or something. its weird. just do not force any bolts. its aluminum and strips very easy.
    three 10mm bolts and i think five or six 8mm bolts.. very easy to do.

Thanks for the info!

The man in the box Jukebox Hero Champion My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion Smaugs Treasure Champion Lash's Avatar
    Yeah...those are pretty easy to do.

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    yeah they can leak when they arent running. its happening to my car right now even after a new waterpump . there is always coolant in the waterpump whether is runnnig or not