Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Classics appraised?

Just wondering how many of you have had your antique or classic appraised for value?

I insured mine as an antique thru State Farm, so I had to have it appraised. I was very impressed at what my Bird was valued at today!

It only cost me $38 to have it insured for 6 months, full coverage. If it is totalled, they will give you the appraised value or close to it. Why the fuk didn't I ever do this before. They say you can't put more than 2k on it within the insured period....

Just wondering what everyone else is doing...

For the record, I didn't know this, any car 25 years or older is considered an Antique....go figure.
    WIP

Danielle... times change. Poncho's Avatar
    I should ask my dad, I was actually disappointed at how they valued it. The car always does real well at carshows, and they only valued it in the range of 40-45k I honestly figured it'd be worth quite a bit more.

a REAL/NOS bodied bel air w/ no bondo (anymore) is pretty much irreplaceable to me, no matter if Danchuck and Goodmark & Classic Industries Can now sell you all the parts to make a Tri-Five from scratch.

How did your car do? From what I remember seeing it, i'd expect near 30k for something like that, if it is as flawless as it looked.
    Well, at the very least, I have an interesting back story.

Apprasing really isn't anywhere near what you could sell it for, I had it done and was a little disapionted but whatever it just for insurance stuff and yeah, to insure a muscle car is uber cheap, they know dudes are gunna take care of em

cruiser-70 challenger- 452 low deck
    beater-93 Dakota 4x4-360 magnum-14.88@90
    sled- 04 Pro-X2 600-Mostly stock for now

One insurance company insured an old Packard by talking to a body shop to see what it's worth. I doubt that's the industry standard; nor do I know if there is one for insuring old cars.
    Online Drag Racing -------Reaction Time Tester!
    Red 1982 Trans Am MSE Hooker 1 5/8, 3 inches back, 3:73s ---- Red 1990 Formula with ZZ4 motor, Hooker 2055s, American Thunder catback ---- Black 1991 GTA with 3 inch Flowmaster Catback system ---- Black 2002 WS6 Bone Stock

Suck Squish Bang Blow

Quote Originally Posted by TransAm12sec View Post
    One insurance company insured an old Packard by talking to a body shop to see what it's worth. I doubt that's the industry standard; nor do I know if there is one for insuring old cars.
    Very true the insurance company will insure it to what a "shop says" its worth as long as they get thous premiums!

Senior Member..now yer posting! Arigmaster's Avatar
    I was actually suprised when mine was appraised. I insure through Hagerty and they appriase it in a couple ways. First with average sale price for a comparable model, then they look at the condition of car itself.... The appraiser/adjustor said mine was at 32K as is but then told me once I complete the interior, it would be in the Mid 40's.

I remember when I was younger, these cars were only like $400.00 beaters...

Not to be taken serious Karps TA's Avatar
    Who did you guys use for appraisers?
    Ex-Trans Am owner.

WHO LAUGHS LAST THINKS SLOWEST GRAMPS SS's Avatar

Corvette Connection in Butler on 124th does them...ask for Bob senior...don't know what he charges now...but when i had mine done it was 100.00
    R.I.P BOB BUDDY

Everyday driver...2010 EXPLORER

Weekend car....1970 DUSTER 340 Now with a 416 w/ EFI SIX PACK

Quote Originally Posted by PRO_SHOW_SS View Post
    Corvette Connection in Butler on 124th does them...ask for Bob senior...don't know what he charges now...but when i had mine done it was 100.00
    Do you have a #? I would like to bring my Chevelle there to get a second price.

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeThis View Post

How did your car do? From what I remember seeing it, i'd expect near 30k for something like that, if it is as flawless as it looked.
    Not anywhere near that. The car is ultra clean, but he found a spot on the trunk extentions that he felt we're done sloppily (the extentions are the metal rails that the trunk pan attach to). The car has a new trunk pan but the shop that did it failed to hammer out or straighten the rails better, and didn't paint them. So because of that he took a bit off for it.

He checked everything else and was impressed. The paint on the nose of the car is also cracking (I'm betting the shop that did it must've painted it without flex primer in it?), so he took off for that too.

Although Firebirds aren't exactly laying around everywhere, (or in great shape for that matter),true antiques like an old Biscane or whatnot are the ones truly fetching big-buck apprasial value when super clean. I'm in the understanding that what you would call muscle or 50's classics are the one's that are the real money grabbers. I'd say anything after 72' lost that "classic muscle" tag for high value.

For the couple of items he subtracted points from, he gave it a $9,500 dollar value, which is pretty good considering I didn't pay anywhere near that price from my younger brother.

It paid off, higher value for car, and cheap antique insurance= me being very happy

I'd say that is pretty damn good for a 75' Formula car. Maybe if it were a 69' T.A or something, it would've been higher. I'm happy....
    Last edited by GRM-REPR; 04-03-2007 at 12:04 PM.
    WIP

I use hagarty. No appraisal required. In fact this year on my renewal the said I should up the value $3000. Just a few photos needed.
    03 Terminator Vert
    06 TL

Quote Originally Posted by GRM-REPR View Post
    Not anywhere near that. The car is ultra clean, but he found a spot on the trunk extentions that he felt we're done sloppily (the extentions are the metal rails that the trunk pan attach to). The car has a new trunk pan but the shop that did it failed to hammer out or straighten the rails better, and didn't paint them. So because of that he took a bit off for it.

He checked everything else and was impressed. The paint on the nose of the car is also cracking (I'm betting the shop that did it must've painted it without flex primer in it?), so he took off for that too.

Although Firebirds aren't exactly laying around everywhere, (or in great shape for that matter),true antiques like an old Biscane or whatnot are the ones truly fetching big-buck apprasial value when super clean. I'm in the understanding that what you would call muscle or 50's classics are the one's that are the real money grabbers. I'd say anything after 72' lost that "classic muscle" tag for high value.

For the couple of items he subtracted points from, he gave it a $9,500 dollar value, which is pretty good considering I didn't pay anywhere near that price from my younger brother.

It paid off, higher value for car, and cheap antique insurance= me being very happy

I'd say that is pretty damn good for a 75' Formula car. Maybe if it were a 69' T.A or something, it would've been higher. I'm happy....

Having not seen your car in person, I would think that would be pretty low value. 2nd gens have really been going up in value lately. I have a friend who spent 8 months looking for a good 2nd gen for a project car. $4K is now buying a car that needs alot of work.
    Ex-Trans Am owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Karps TA View Post
    Having not seen your car in person, I would think that would be pretty low value. 2nd gens have really been going up in value lately. I have a friend who spent 8 months looking for a good 2nd gen for a project car. $4K is now buying a car that needs alot of work.
    this is true, i bought my 75 for 1500 that needed alot of TLC. Now i cant find something the same for under 4-5k.
    WTFWTFWTFWTFWTFW
    WTFWTWFWTWFWTWFWT
    WTWFWTWFWTWFWTWFWTWTf

I sorta' thought of that, if someone has a well-known vehicle appraiser in mind, I'd like to know. I was just happy to have it appraised for more than what I paid.

I guess I would also agree that 2nd gen Birds are hard to find...clean too.
    WIP

Did you have the guy from Corvette Connection do the appraisel?

I had someone appraise mine back in like 97-98 after I had it painted and I thought the guy was a real ****. He gave it like a $10G appraisel, but pretty much ripped the car to shreds, and didn't seem to give a damn about the car. I wish I had the guy's card still so I know not to use him again.
    Ex-Trans Am owner.

Did you have the guy from Corvette Connection do the appraisel?

I had someone appraise mine back in like 97-98 after I had it painted and I thought the guy was a real ****. He gave it like a $10G appraisel, but pretty much ripped the car to shreds, and didn't seem to give a damn about the car. I wish I had the guy's card still so I know not to use him again.
    No, a buddy of mine refered me to Classic T in Big Bend, he had his 35' Ford done there. He also kinda seemed like, ok I'll do the apprasial and you can leave type attitude. Personally I'd like to have seen it get more, they are hard to find clean, many of them rotted. And I also agree with other members saying the price of them have gone up, even shit haulers are going for thousands, basically parts cars.
    WIP

Damn, i shoul d start giving appraisels.

I wonder what it takes to become one. It's easy to throw a number on a car when you are not the guy trying to buy it. You know?

That sux, the guy in Big Bend is super close to me.
    Ex-Trans Am owner.

WHO LAUGHS LAST THINKS SLOWEST GRAMPS SS's Avatar

call corvettte connection...see what he charges... the number is
    262-781-2166...ask for bob senior...there hours are 9-5
    R.I.P BOB BUDDY

Everyday driver...2010 EXPLORER

Weekend car....1970 DUSTER 340 Now with a 416 w/ EFI SIX PACK

I plan on it. I work at Briggs, so I can just run over there with the car during the day sometime.
    Ex-Trans Am owner.