3rd gen radiator fitting in a 75' Firebird???

I've been searching for a radiator for my bird in the classified section. A couple of members both mentioned a 3rd gen radiator.

My question is, will that gen radiator fit in an 75'? The cheapest aluminum radiator i can find for this car is $300, and thats Jeg's inhouse brand! I dont have that kind of money to throw around on a radiator. I also have 2 electric fans and an engine fan, so I'm not worried about it running hot. The one in the car now leaks pretty good..

Thanks for any help in advance...Jon
    WIP

Not to be taken serious Karps TA's Avatar
    Why not just get a stock type replacement? like this
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/70-71...92061979QQrdZ1

Stock 3rdgen rads kinda suck. They are very thin and I think only 2 core.

If you're scared of ebay try www.radiators.com or www.radiatorbarn.com I've used both for several cars.

If not that then I'd look at a universal and just make it work. You might need to make some brackets or something, but it's cheaper then the "custom" fit ripoffs. I put a universal in my 85 for under $200.

3rd gen rad dimensions are
    Core Size: 26-1/4 X 17 X 1-5/8
    Inlet Header: 2-3/8 X 18-5/8
    Outlet Header: 2-3/8 X 18-5/8
    Inlet Connection: 1-5/16
    Outlet Connection: 1-9/16

71-79 rads are
    Core Size: 27-1/2 X 17 X 1-7/8
    Inlet Header: 2-3/4 X 18-5/8
    Outlet Header: 2-3/4 X 18-5/8
    Inlet Connection: 1-5/16
    Outlet Connection: 1-9/16
    Last edited by Karps TA; 03-04-2007 at 04:49 PM.
    Ex-Trans Am owner.

Thanks Karp for going out of your way. They seem very close. My problem with the stock style radiator is that they are brass. The car is in sexy shape and I'd like to dump an aluminum unit into it.

I can't exactly say I've ever had a problem with a 3rd gen radiator, I've owned a couple of those cars, even had a hot 355 cid i dumped into my old 83' Z and it cooled that engine.

I agree with the "direct fit" being a rip. It's way too overpriced.
    WIP

Radiatorbarn wants a shade under $200 and its brass lol.

Ol' Dwight at radiators.com didnt know shit lol....it was an odd instant messaging type interface, never seen that before, it seemed unreliable.
    WIP

I think radiator.com I actually called. They offered me a 4 core rad for my 85 TA for the price of the std. Actually I think I may even still have it out in the garage.

Will anyone even see the rad if it's aluminum? Won't the electric fans be covering the majority of it? Plus the thirdgen rads have those crappy plastic tanks that like to crack. That was always my frustration.
    Ex-Trans Am owner.

The radiator will be showing, I have the fans mounted in the nose, not facing the engine.

I just have had bad luck with brass, even with my mustang, just makes more sense having a more reliable aluminum unit.

Hows the radiator in the garage? lol
    WIP

MARO-MAN
    I never had a problem with the plastic tanks. And the aluminum radiator just flat out cools better then brass. I think for the money a third gen radiator is a good deal. You can get them new at $130ish last I looked with a year warranty, maybe more. I have had the GM aluminum with plastic end tanks in 7 different vehicles without problems. (TA, Iroc, GN, RS maro, 85 maro, 87 blazer, 93 blazer) -Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by GRM-REPR View Post

Hows the radiator in the garage? lol
    It's not aluminum.

And I must just be unlucky, but that's nothing new. I had my tanks replaced twice before getting a whole new rad that had metal tanks.
    Last edited by Karps TA; 03-04-2007 at 06:08 PM.
    Ex-Trans Am owner.

MARO-MAN
    My friend had his plastic tank crack and leak tranny fluid. Otherwise I haven't had any problems with the end tanks on them. But, if it isn't one thing its definatly the other.

So I end up checking the price's on a radiator for a 75' Z-28 (has a chev 355), and then cross check it with a 75' Firebird, the part numbers are the same at Parts Hut (better quality than the Zone). So I ask him what its made of, its a 3 row aluminum core but with plastic tanks....ok, well I guess they don't make any brass rad's anymore?

I ordered one the other day and it looks good to me.

The part numbers are certainly different between 2nd and 3rd gen's...Thanks again for the help everyone.
    WIP

MARO-MAN
    Sounds like you got what your looking for.