Thread: Trans question

Trans question

I have a 91 Mustang Gt with a automatic trans and I just picked up a 94 Gt with a fresh 5 speed and clutch. The cars pretty much a parts car so I wanna put the 5 speed in my 91 but ive heard from some people it wont fit and from others it will. Anybody know if it will for sure fit or not? Also if anyone needs any parts off a 94 Gt let me know. Thanks to anybody that knows.

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    my guess, since your question hasn't been answered, is that the tranny should fit....you'd still need to get the correct pedal assembly, center console, and other assorted parts from a pre-94 'stang.

Another issue that might not be an issue is shifter location...it might be different for the different body styles.

In any case, the easier and more pure swap would be from a pre-94 stang...but if you've got the skills, virtually anything can be made to work.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Valiant View Post
    my guess, since your question hasn't been answered, is that the tranny should fit....you'd still need to get the correct pedal assembly, center console, and other assorted parts from a pre-94 'stang.

Another issue that might not be an issue is shifter location...it might be different for the different body styles.

In any case, the easier and more pure swap would be from a pre-94 stang...but if you've got the skills, virtually anything can be made to work.
    The pedals, clutch cable, speedo cable, clutch, flywheel, computer, and drive shaft would have to be from a pre 94 fox stang.....you can get those from any junk yard that has a fox, except for the computer. The trans its self is your standard t-5, and the only thing you may have to change is the bellhousing, but I doubt that, as it is comming off of a 5.0 motor
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    stew - continuing confirmation of the hypothesis that marbles aren't sharp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Jim you build... break... and rebuild cars faster than I can put one together.

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I have a 91 Mustang Gt with a automatic trans and I just picked up a 94 Gt with a fresh 5 speed and clutch. The cars pretty much a parts car so I wanna put the 5 speed in my 91 but ive heard from some people it wont fit and from others it will. Anybody know if it will for sure fit or not? Also if anyone needs any parts off a 94 Gt let me know. Thanks to anybody that knows.
    '94 & '95 t5's have a longer input shaft than the Fox body 'stangs. You can use the transmission by swapping the input shaft with one from a Fox body. Just make sure to check end play, and shim accordingly. I can do that for you if you want it done.

I also have a good stack of Fox body bellhousings. I would be willing to trade you for the '94 bell even-up.

PM me if this sounds good to you.

Thanks.
    Fritz

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    frits is the man. he is the only one you should allow to help you with such a swap. he will be refurbishing the diff. in mine soon

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605