Wink turbo saturn update....

well after some tuning and such... at 9 psi non-intercooled and a very "crude" tuning/engine management(43lb/hr inj.and a safc2)... cylinder 1 and 4 went buh bye! about 30psi of comp. in cyl1 and 0psi in cyl4. I learned how SAFC's work now ! when your at -%48 correction timming likes to go wayyyy up under boost! after it blew i went back and looked at the data logging... sure sh!t right befor it went total timming advance was at 48* soooo i will fix the fuel problem by putting in my AFPR... so then my correction wont be sooo out of wack. then will also install my EGT gauge which i never did here are some pics of the damage... sorry for the crappy pics.... oh and BTW i recieved my new pistons... just a cheap($150) set of hypernectic low comp(8.5-1) moly rings, new bearing, timing chain, head bolts, valve stem seals, and a few other little things... I AM NOT GOING FOR HIGHEST HP OR A FAST A$$ car.... just something a little better than stock... looking to make a max of 220whp... this time i will do it right !

Last edited by sloLs1; 01-18-2007 at 08:38 PM.
    '95 saturn < v8 GONE!
    '09 avalanche < tow rig
    '05 ion < DD
    '63 chevy ll < new project
    Some girls do want an 8 second ride

good daily driver eh?

LOL

so how long has it been on the streets since it's been bewsted?
    Quote Originally Posted by 88Nightmare
    its always winter on bcm!

like 2 weeks... and yes this is my back-up daily driver... i DD my truck!
    '95 saturn < v8 GONE!
    '09 avalanche < tow rig
    '05 ion < DD

gonna intercool it at all? just figure you would be able to set up somethin from a stock turbo car to work?
    "A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Jeremy Clarkson

Well i bet with that kinda timing it was pretty torquey and snotty for a bit anyway lol

Learning curves happen, at least ur quick to get it back going again!
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

Quote Originally Posted by theavenger333 View Post
    gonna intercool it at all? just figure you would be able to set up somethin from a stock turbo car to work?
    yes i have a couple laying around... i wanted to try non-intercooled first didnt work out so well!

Quote Originally Posted by BAD LS1 View Post
    Well i bet with that kinda timing it was pretty torquey and snotty for a bit anyway lol

Learning curves happen, at least ur quick to get it back going again!
    throtle response was wikked!!! the funny thing is... i never felt or heard it ping or knock at all during tuning.... then out of the blue she went like that! also i had a bad knock sensor... i wasn't picking up sh!t for knock on my SAFC even when it went... so i also have a new one of those!
    '95 saturn < v8 GONE!
    '09 avalanche < tow rig
    '05 ion < DD

couldnt you just of bought a GTP if you wanted 220WHP
    you get about that stock

Anyways... sorry for your misfortune and way to jump right back into it
    -Andy
    PS3, Xbox 360, & Steam tag: Cryptic78

"(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)

Quote Originally Posted by CrypticGTX View Post
    couldnt you just of bought a GTP if you wanted 220WHP
    you get about that stock

Anyways... sorry for your misfortune and way to jump right back into it

yea but i would run 15's with a GTP, get 20-25MPG, and still wouldnt be able to keep up with all hondas out there... i will be hitting low 14's and waxing those hondas! and maybe your occassoinal domestic

plus its an expirance like no other.... to build and then drive something you created!
    '95 saturn < v8 GONE!
    '09 avalanche < tow rig
    '05 ion < DD

GTP runs a 14ish stock, depending on driver......
    "A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by sloLs1 View Post
    throtle response was wikked!!! the funny thing is... i never felt or heard it ping or knock at all during tuning.... then out of the blue she went like that! also i had a bad knock sensor... i wasn't picking up sh!t for knock on my SAFC even when it went... so i also have a new one of those!
    Yeah timing is a big deal to any kinda power adder motor it seems, My car dropped .7 tenths and gained 5 mph on the 200 shot by increasing total timing at WOT from 20* to 27*. The low end torque when the spray hit just felt insane, hit harder than any other time in history that i sprayed the car.

I did run a 50/50 mix of 110 leaded and 93 in the tank and 100LL in the nitrous fuel cell. I had 3 degrees of knock on the hit and was 0 the rest of the run with a 11.7 AFR.

But my eyes are focused on the wideband, scanmaster (knock retard) and i just wait for the shift light and occasional look up to make sure its going straight lol I guess thats why the motor held together this year hahah.

i never looked at the plugs but one random plug the day after the track for just shits and giggles, no speckles, no burning... perfect.

Yeah timing is a big deal to any kinda power adder motor it seems, My car dropped .7 tenths and gained 5 mph on the 200 shot by increasing total timing at WOT from 20* to 27*. The low end torque when the spray hit just felt insane, hit harder than any other time in history that i sprayed the car.

I did run a 50/50 mix of 110 leaded and 93 in the tank and 100LL in the nitrous fuel cell. I had 3 degrees of knock on the hit and was 0 the rest of the run with a 11.7 AFR.

But my eyes are focused on the wideband, scanmaster (knock retard) and i just wait for the shift light and occasional look up to make sure its going straight lol I guess thats why the motor held together this year hahah.

i never looked at the plugs but one random plug the day after the track for just shits and giggles, no speckles, no burning... perfect.

yea i hear yea about the timming! but i cant control that with a SAFC... only fuel and even that is just tricking the computer. I have dyno'd cars befor and with only one degree advance, minus a stoch of fuel... wammooo theres 30hp. its crazy how a couple degrees of timming and a part of fuel can make all the differnce..

BTW my A/F was at 10.9 very rich but i wanted to keep it cool due to the fact of no intercooler and 9.5-1 comp pistons! I had it running real good with it at 10.9 11.0 across the board... i went too 11.2 and thats when it must have got too hot and buh bye piston. It sucks because the whole time i thought my knock sensor was functioning correctly!
    '95 saturn < v8 GONE!
    '09 avalanche < tow rig
    '05 ion < DD

After just re-reading my post....

Sorry if it looked like i was trying to school your or something. You know what your doing and there is those pesky learning curves that we all face!

Just sharing my experience, i feel bad for hi-jacking your thread lol

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    its a really cool build! I hope you get it up a running again soon. Throw an intercooler on it right away!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

I have a snow performance methanol injection kit that would work great that that i would be willing to let go at a decent price!

Chemical intercooler!! lol they do work pretty awesome, plus methanol will keep knock at bay considerably.

.......Just sharing my experience, i feel bad for hi-jacking your thread lol.........

i totally undestand! i like COMMENTS AND EVEN BETTER IDEAS... everyone builds things differently... thats why i like input and like to know what others think

Quote Originally Posted by yellow wagon View Post
    its a really cool build! I hope you get it up a running again soon. Throw an intercooler on it right away!
    thank you! and i am still working on the intercooler set-up... but it will definatly go on befor i start it up again!

I have a snow performance methanol injection kit that would work great that that i would be willing to let go at a decent price!

Chemical intercooler!! lol they do work pretty awesome, plus methanol will keep knock at bay considerably.

you should PM me a price... kinda on a budget with this build but i have never expiremaneted with it personally... i know for a fact it works great. My buddy is running a simlar kit on his sycolne... and i had another friend that had a t-type with it too... controls knock, cools cylinders down, and even helps keep the combustion chambers clean!
    '95 saturn < v8 GONE!
    '09 avalanche < tow rig
    '05 ion < DD

Ok cool,

Is that Adam your reffering to with the Syclone by chance?

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    Mmmmmm meth. Meth kits and turbo cars go hand in hand.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

Who woulda thought a LS1 guy would be helping out a guy trying to turbo a Saturn?
    Quote Originally Posted by 88Nightmare
    its always winter on bcm!

Quote Originally Posted by FlickNtitty View Post
    Who woulda thought a LS1 guy would be helping out a guy trying to turbo a Saturn?

Im a sucker for one off projects... what can i day besides they spark my intrest... haha

Ok cool,

Is that Adam your reffering to with the Syclone by chance?

adam raul?? black with c5 wheels?? yea he has been a friend of my for like 10 years!

Im a sucker for one off projects... what can i day besides they spark my intrest... haha
    +1
    '95 saturn < v8 GONE!
    '09 avalanche < tow rig
    '05 ion < DD