Keyless entry question

My RST did not come with keyless entry, probably because it started life as a basic work truck and sent out for "pimping". Basically, what I want, is a factory keyless entry system. Factory remotes, the whole works. A guy I was talking to the other day said that the truck should be equipped with all the equipment and all I need to do is get a couple remotes and have them programed. This sounds a little far fetched, seeing as how this is GM (spend more money than they have too?). I don't think they would give you everything except the remotes. Anyways, the truck has power windows and locks, so I assume it can be done, but I just wanted to know if anyone here has done it and if they could give me a hand with some instruction on how to do it. Thanks in advace guys! BTW, it sucks having everyone say what a cool and expensive truck you've got, but you still have to put the damn key in the door!

Borchardt's SUCKS

1984 Hurst/Olds A4 W/ Lightning Rods '73 350 Rocket
    1993 Z28 M6 Mostly Stock, a couple of bolt ons
    2004 Silverado Regency (modded from the factory) Now with a Tom Tune!

View pics of my ride here

anything is possible with enough money....

as for a keyless system, from what i was told, basically the truck is set up for it, or its not. if it's not, IE no wiring inside, you mine as well get an aftermarket unit. a TON cheaper, unless u find a junkyard truck to mess with.
    "A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Jeremy Clarkson

Baddriver01
    I had power locks on an old camry (but no remote opener). When I installed a remote start system it also included a set of remotes for the locks. But if you have manual locks, I think you're out of luck. It was nice having remote start and remote locks, it cost about 200 installed or 69.99 for the kit only.

Good luck.

It does have power locks, so that won't be the issue. I just wanted a complete factory setup, but if it can't be had, it can't be had. Hopefully I'll find a junkyard truck to tear apart this summer or somethin!

Borchardt's SUCKS

Bob the Builder says: 88Nightmare's Avatar
    if it doesnt have keyless, then I would assume it might be tough to put in a factory one. A keyless entry system consists of a transmitter unit inside the vehicle somewhere, and a wiring harness that ties it in with the rest of the system. If it doesnt have the transmitter, then it probably doesnt have the wiring harness necessary for it. You could give the dealership your vin and have them check, or bring it to them and have them check it out. Otherwise, aftermarket would be the way to go. You can get keyless entry systems installed for like $300 bucks, and it will operate your locks and fire up your ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    All democrats like to work on wood, zing!
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take from those willing to work and give to those that are not - Thomas Jefferson
    2008 Yamaha FZ6
    2005 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 duramax

I'll touch your apex PureSound15's Avatar
    IMO Getting an aftermarket keyless/alarm would be the better option, and I'm sure would be a lot cheaper too.

Whats the reason for wanting a factory system? Viper keyless have liftetime warranty (1 yr on remotes) and most places warranty the install as well.

get the viper with the 2 way remote. sweet stuff.
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take from those willing to work and give to those that are not - Thomas Jefferson
    2008 Yamaha FZ6

The only reason I wanted to go with the factory setup was because I was told there was a possibility that the truck already had all the neccesary equipment, so all it needed was remotes. BTW, it's a 5spd so I can't get a remote start for it anyways.

Borchardt's SUCKS

When I bought my Talon it didn't come with any remotes.
    So to test whether I had factory keyless I just had to ground 2 pins on the OB2 port.
    (It did)
    _] Jeff
    _] '08 Audi A4 S-Line
    _] '98 Eclipse Spyder GS-T
    _] '93 Toyota Camry
    www.flickr.com/photojeffic

btw you can remote start anything, stick or not. just installers wont install a remote start system on your 5 speed vehicle for safety purposes, but you can always install it yourself
    2008 Yamaha FZ6

Quote Originally Posted by 88Nightmare View Post
    btw you can remote start anything, stick or not. just installers wont install a remote start system on your 5 speed vehicle for safety purposes, but you can always install it yourself
    Don't you have to mess with the neutral safety switch also? then you gotta leave it in neutral with the parking brake on all the time too...
    98 Ranger 4.0 5spd 4x4 Ext Cab
    02 TLR

yeah you gotta play with the neutral safety switch... you just simply ground it out making it think the clutch is pressed in. Besides, is there a problem with leaving the vehicle with the parking brake on all the time and the trans in neutral?
    2008 Yamaha FZ6

I'll touch your apex PureSound15's Avatar
    I had remote start installed on my 5 spd Jetta and it was nice, but I had people start it without me knowing. I ended up removing that feature for the fear of having someone start it while it was on a hill and in gear.

I know of 4 people off the top of my head who started their car while it was in gear, and did A LOT of damage to their vehicle.

And yes, the viper 2-way is pretty badass

Quote Originally Posted by PureSound15 View Post
    I had remote start installed on my 5 spd Jetta and it was nice, but I had people start it without me knowing. I ended up removing that feature for the fear of having someone start it while it was on a hill and in gear.

I know of 4 people off the top of my head who started their car while it was in gear, and did A LOT of damage to their vehicle.

And yes, the viper 2-way is pretty badass
    surprised there is no kill feature to detect its in a gear. pretty dumb engineering flaw if you ask me.
    -Andy
    PS3, Xbox 360, & Steam tag: Cryptic78

"(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)

remote starters were never designed to work on manual vehicles, for the reason described above... people starting their manual cars while accidentally leaving them in gear. I can't really picture how it would be able to sense the transmission is in gear. There are no sensors in the transmission that detect if its in gear or not, so what would the remote starter be able to detect off of?

viper 2 way FTW
    2008 Yamaha FZ6