View Poll Results: What kinda van do I need??

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dodge Sprinter

3 8.11%
  • Chevy 1 Ton

10 27.03%
  • Ford 1 ton

4 10.81%
  • Diesel Chevy/GMC

8 21.62%
  • Diesel Ford

9 24.32%
  • 63 Econoline Shorty

3 8.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work Van Poll

Work Van Poll

I have a new gig as a fork lift tech and they are letting me pick the van I get. Will be brandy new so let's hear some opinions/ideas.

I am liking the Sprinter Diesel. Anyone know anythin bout em?

I have been training with a guy that runs a Chevy 1 ton with a Duramax. Nice van but I feel cramped in it. They seem to have a mix of all kinds so they are open minded.....
    It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.--Andre Gide

I voted for the Ford 1 ton. They have very few problems and will take a serious beating. Major problem with them is the ball joints wearing out, but replace them with joints that have grease zerks and they will last a lot longer.

Ive been using work Vans for 12 years at different companys.

The Chevys were by far the best.

The man in the box Jukebox Hero Champion My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion Smaugs Treasure Champion Lash's Avatar
    ^ x2

Chevy 1 ton.

Just some slow stock shit! scaleracer's Avatar

scaleracer

go for the chevy 1 ton

Bob the Builder says: 88Nightmare's Avatar
    dodge sprinters are the same thing as those freightliner 250 and 350 vans. not a big fan of them. I've seen some of those have problems. Go with either a durmax chevy or a powerstroke ford van.
    Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    All democrats like to work on wood, zing!
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take from those willing to work and give to those that are not - Thomas Jefferson
    2008 Yamaha FZ6
    2005 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 duramax

There all junk and fall apart, there called work VAN'S so you figured they'd make them like a tank but nooooooooooooo they dont. I would say the Ford.

:-)
    HVAC...
    Neons...
    House music...

- More naked bitches

We use chevy at work. I prefer them over the couple fords that we had.
    Owner of Sunset Self Storage LLC. LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED STORAGE. 24/7 access. No Contract length. Self Storage/Portable Storage/Vehicle Transport
    Thanks, Brad 262.751.9439

09 Cadillac CTS V Has some stuff done...
    05 Chevy Duramax: Best time in 4wd was 12.22 @ 108
    99 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic: Big Bore, Cams, tune.

BCM Cruiser
    We use ford vans at my work you would be suprised at the amount of weight they haul and the beating they take

I have been using work vans for 16 years and I think between performance and the mechanicals the chevs and the fords have been pretty equal in my experience. Although I lost more races in our Chevys...

Do the newer Chevys still have the huge doghouse and tight footwells? I always got annoyed by that with the older ones.

Buying new or used? The diesel will retain it's value better for resale in the long run, and they're extremely reliable... Of course, I'm a Ford guy so I say FORD!!! And if it's a used one... the 300 I6 is a good motor, but I'm sure you already knew that...
    Thanks,
    Joe Reichard
    2007 Saab 9-5 Aero
    2010 Saab 9-3 2.0T 6-Speed Manual... It's my wife's and she lets me drive it from time to time...
    2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen Convertible
    1995 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible

But I can score a 170 Falcon Six in the 63!

I am considering the GMC/Chevy with a diesel. I need to sit in the drivers side of the Chevy and see how I fit. The pass side is tight and I have big feet....

Quote Originally Posted by 01v6stangpwr
    Buying new or used? The diesel will retain it's value better for resale in the long run, and they're extremely reliable... Of course, I'm a Ford guy so I say FORD!!! And if it's a used one... the 300 I6 is a good motor, but I'm sure you already knew that...
    It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.--Andre Gide

Bob the Builder says: 88Nightmare's Avatar
    most vans are that way. I know my previous employer had a 2000 E350 econoline with the 5.4, and it had about 250k miles and still ran strong. ball joints were in need of replacing but otherwise she was good. and I know everyone beats the hell out of it. AC still blew ice cold.
    All democrats like to work on wood, zing!
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take from those willing to work and give to those that are not - Thomas Jefferson
    2008 Yamaha FZ6
    2005 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 duramax

I'd say a Ford w/ a diesel. There are four w/ over 300k on ebay right now and I remember seeing one w/ over 700k. I'm not really a Ford guy, but those things seem to go forever!

Borchardt's SUCKS

1984 Hurst/Olds A4 W/ Lightning Rods '73 350 Rocket
    1993 Z28 M6 Mostly Stock, a couple of bolt ons
    2004 Silverado Regency (modded from the factory) Now with a Tom Tune!

View pics of my ride here

I have pretty much set my mind on a GMC with a Diesel. I ran a Ford that last few days and it just didn't feel right. I have big feet and when I hit the gas pedal I was on the brakes half the time. The back doors just don't open as far as the GMC's do.

The one I ran had a Triton in it and it seemed to be kind of noisy for having 50k on the clock. Is that a common thing???

Of course I could get a GMC with an LS1........

2006 roadking custom. KF 9000 Champion 0TransAm0's Avatar
    so are you NOT working at the bike shop in racine anymore or is this just a second job? for the winter?

I quit working down there a couple weeks ago and got a regular adult job. There were days that I lost money by driving to Racine. My new gig pays hourly, is M-F and I have family insurance for $75 a month!

Thry supply uniforms, tools, the van, gas and a company credit card. I will still work on bikes from home so feel free to ask me for help anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by 0TransAm0
    so are you NOT working at the bike shop in racine anymore or is this just a second job? for the winter?

2006 roadking custom. KF 9000 Champion 0TransAm0's Avatar
    ah i C, i figured you got payed hourly at the bike shop. that sucks that you didn't. but hell 75 a month for the family is cheep i pay 80 a month for my self and the insurance sucks balls.

It;s a cool gig for the most part and they even paid me for the week before I started. We sure as hell needed it......

Quote Originally Posted by 0TransAm0
    ah i C, i figured you got payed hourly at the bike shop. that sucks that you didn't. but hell 75 a month for the family is cheep i pay 80 a month for my self and the insurance sucks balls.