Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

collector plates.....(rant)

Who here is sick of seeing collector plates on POS cars that are just old shiat. I think the state should require a picture of the car or have it brought to the DMV to see it. I have seen so many rusted out mid 80's caprices and pick-up trucks with collector plates that should not even be on the road.
    03 Terminator Vert
    06 TL

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ Super Mario Mushroom Champion Starcastle Champion Korndogg's Avatar
    yeah its getting pretty annoying.
    1968 Camaro 383

Dusting off my knick knack... MurphysLaw88GT's Avatar
    hate how the plates look.......i vote to change the colors

I seen collector plates on a Chevette last week !

I seen collector plates on a Chevette last week !

The car was in pretty bad shape overall and I would bet the lady driving it just wanted the collector plates because it works out to be cheaper..

I used to see many more people using collector plates on many "non collector" type cars in the past though.....

Brandon W.
    ive also noticed this.i actually think it is funny...................speaking of license plates i think i found for for the Talon...OSOSLOW....its probably taken(lets hope not)

only thing that qualifies a vehicle for collector status is it's age. if it still is driven, it works. now HOBBYIST plates are another story
    "A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in, witchcraft happens and you go faster."
    - Jeremy Clarkson

I put collector plates on all my beaters. It's way cheaper and they're yours forever. It's a one time purchase rather than paying more to register the car than the car is worth. But I'll agree, they sure are ugly!
    "When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"
    2006 GLD Import Wars Quick8 Champion
    new best 10-15-06 11.35@112

Quote Originally Posted by JC70SS
    Who here is sick of seeing collector plates on POS cars that are just old shiat. I think the state should require a picture of the car or have it brought to the DMV to see it. I have seen so many rusted out mid 80's caprices and pick-up trucks with collector plates that should not even be on the road.

I do agree with you, but it wouldn't work, who would have the final say in someone getting the plates. How clean does it have to be, what is considered a collector, and so on, your definition of clean/collector might be vastly diferent than someone else's definition......

However, with collector plates you cannot drive a collector plated vehicle in the months of December, January, or February. At least technically you can't.....

Hang on, Im working on the car ffvetteman's Avatar
    I just put collector plates on my 86 Trans Am, does that count as a POS?

The TA is clean no rust and newer paint. Overall clean, not like most 80's f-bodys you see.

Running is a diferent issue...
    "Anecdotal discussion of coincidentally simultaneous extreme applications of the throttle will not be tolerated!" -CentralCoaster

If you read the law Collector Plates are for stock vehicles only, NOT modified vehicles........Its good to see all of us on here are following the rules....

I know a couple of people that got busted with collector plates on beaters, they had to pay some crazy fine like $300......
    Keith & Amanda
    2001 Formula Firehawk
    87 GN Only fast on the Souf Side
    70 GS 455 Stock Appearing

My car is stock
    03 Terminator Vert
    06 TL

You can put collector plates on anything 20 years old or older.
    You just can't drive it in the month of jan. and if a cop lights you up for having collector plates on a non stock vehicle that probably is the least of your problems. The rest of your sh!t better be in order. He's just looking for drunks and felons and the occasional asshole.
    "When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"
    2006 GLD Import Wars Quick8 Champion
    new best 10-15-06 11.35@112

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, no kidding. We need to do something to keep the riff-raff's from thinking that their car is something "special". If it's not something special to me, who the hell are they to think it should be special to them?

Yes Joe, we all know you've got a great chevelle And...
    My car is stock
    Not with:
    Quote Originally Posted by JC70SS modifications
    Merlin III 540, Comp hydraulic roller, callies dragonslayer crank, oliver rods, Mahle domes, Holley 950HP, TH400.
    I'm pretty sure it came with none of that stock. The DMV would require a hobbyist plate on that if they bothered to check.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Quote Originally Posted by Prescott
    You can put collector plates on anything 20 years old or older.
    You just can't drive it in the month of jan. and if a cop lights you up for having collector plates on a non stock vehicle that probably is the least of your problems. The rest of your sh!t better be in order. He's just looking for drunks and felons and the occasional asshole.

Thats not exactly correct, per WI DOT Reg 341.266

(c) “Special interest vehicle” means a motor vehicle of any age
    which has not been altered or modified from original manufacturers
    specifications and, because of its historic interest, is being preserved
    by hobbyists.

There was rumors a few years ago of cops cracking down on this and ticketing cars with aftermarket wheels and custom paint......
    Keith & Amanda
    2001 Formula Firehawk
    87 GN Only fast on the Souf Side
    70 GS 455 Stock Appearing

I know what your saying, A neighbor has a mid 80's Chrysler Lebaron Convertible... THE K-Car version of the Lebaron, and he threw the collector plates on it, I'll admit the car is virtually spotless but I still laugh when I see the plates
    2011 Lincoln MKS AWD

Dusting off my knick knack... MurphysLaw88GT's Avatar
    there should be 2 kinds of plates. one for teh good chit & the "i dont have the smog test or pay for tags anymore" plates

It's only a 302 with E7's blackhorse's Avatar
    For some reason I thought you could not use this plate from Nov.-feb.???? But what do I know I have never had a car older than 88
    Team ME

Rex Kramer - Thrill Seeker

I was told you can't drive in January with collector plates. Hell, my insurance won't cover my Z on the road in January either.

A few years ago, I was able to drive it December 31st. It was a warm day, so I figured, no salt, why not.
    '73 Datsun 240GNZ (Buick Grand National engine)
    '98 Superhawk 996 V-Twin
    '02 S-10 Crew Cab
    Superhawk Chopper (Build in progress)

here is my question....I know the collector plates (blue) are for cars 20 years and older, and the car cant be modded, and hobbiest is kind of the same but can be modded...but what about the vehicle collector plates....I saw one on a stock honda civic. Why would you collect stock honda civics?
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    stew - continuing confirmation of the hypothesis that marbles aren't sharp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Jim you build... break... and rebuild cars faster than I can put one together.

Hang on, Im working on the car ffvetteman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neuwave
    here is my question....I know the collector plates (blue) are for cars 20 years and older, and the car cant be modded, and hobbiest is kind of the same but can be modded...but what about the vehicle collector plates....I saw one on a stock honda civic. Why would you collect stock honda civics?
    If you are talking about the normal looking white plates that say vehicle collector on the bottom, them are just normal yearly plates. you can get one if you have at least 1 collector vehicle. The plate number is the same as you collector car.

For example, I have 2 collector plates. The first collector plate is a series of numbers. Every other collector plate you get is the same numbers with a letter after it. So my Bel air has plate number 111111(not my real plate) and my Trans Am has plate number 111111A. If I get another collector plate it will be 111111B. And so on.

So I can get a white vehicle collector plate for my daily driver and it will be yearly(all emmision rules apply and yearly fee) but it will be my plate number (111111).

Hope that makes sence
    "Anecdotal discussion of coincidentally simultaneous extreme applications of the throttle will not be tolerated!" -CentralCoaster