Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Important press release from NHRA and GLD

GREAT LAKES DRAGAWAY JOINS NHRA MEMBER TRACK FAMILY

GLENDORA, Calif. (Sunday, Oct. 8, 2006) – NHRA announced the addition today of Great Lakes Dragaway to its member track roster beginning with the 2007 racing season. Great Lakes Dragaway is among the busiest drag strips in the country with over 170 race days scheduled per year.

The track will participate in the NHRA Summit Racing Series and in the NHRA O’Reilly Auto Parts Jr. Drag Racing League while it continues to run current programs for high school, street legal and import racing competitors. Track operators also plan to carry on with a variety of specialty events.

The track is owned and operated by Randy Henning, Ray Drew and Marcel Kuper who have made a number of improvements to the facility over the past couple years including widening and paving the race track, installing concrete guard walls and adding Musco track lighting as well as remodeling their restroom and concession areas.

“We are pleased to welcome Great Lakes Dragaway to our NHRA member track network,” said Jay Hullinger, NHRA North Central Division Director. “We look forward to working with the track operators to enhance their existing racing programs and bringing their racers benefits that only NHRA can offer.”

"We are excited to be back with NHRA. Our goal is to continue to grow to be the biggest little track in America and with the support of NHRA we can do that," added Drew.

Great Lakes Dragaway is located near Union Grove, Wis., between Chicago and Milwaukee, four miles west of I-94 on Kenosha-Racine County Line Road (K-R), exit 337. For more information, visit the track’s web site, www.GreatLakesDragaway.com.

Headquartered in Glendora, Calif., the NHRA is the primary sanctioning body for the sport of drag racing in the United States. It presents 23 national events through its NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series. The NHRA has more than 80,000 members and 140 member tracks. The NHRA-sanctioned sportsman and bracket racing series’ provide competition opportunities for drivers of all levels. The NHRA develops the stars of tomorrow by offering the NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series, NHRA Summit Racing Series, NHRA Xplod Sport Compact Racing Series and the NHRA Street Legal Program presented by AAA. The NHRA also offers the NHRA O’Reilly Auto Parts Jr. Drag Racing League for youths ages 8 to 17.

turt mcgurt - zenki master TURTLE's Avatar
    outstanding! congrats!

now what rule book do we have to follow as far as safety and classing? we're NHRA now?
    -josh

'02 Neon ES(ACR/T) - R.I.P. 1-18-08
    '97 Neon Sport(track slut) - axles and brakes v2.0
    '98 Neon R/T sedan(DD) - "artie"
    "Speak softly, and carry a big stick" - Teddy Roosevelt

Holy crap!! That came outta nowhere!

I wonder what this means for the grassroots/hobby racers like us? Hopefully NHRA doesn't still have the 11.99 Rollbar rule I always liked IHRA for that reason.
    Josh
    91 GMC Syclone, full street trim, full accessories, stock bottom end.
    11.45 @ 117.7 57mm PT51 turbo at 20 PSI, 93 octane street tune w/alcohol injection. D.I.Y. Budget build, <$4500 under the hood complete.

Well guys here's what it means- for the remainder of 2006 we follow the IHRA rules. But next year, yes indeed, we revert to the NHRA. FWIW, we were NHRA for decades.

Josh I share your sentiment, as I have worked there so long that I remember I used to get yelled at for running 11's with my Cobra. This is part of why I have my LX in Metz's shop for a cage...

Thats great news.

I had heard, not that it was worth anything, that the reason NHRA was wouldnt be at GLD was "short" length of track after the lights. Just a question.

And how will the rules change for next year?

Great job to all who have worked on GLD to make it a better place to race.

Quote Originally Posted by nismodave
    Thats great news.

I had heard, not that it was worth anything, that the reason NHRA was wouldnt be at GLD was "short" length of track after the lights. Just a question.

Great job to all who have worked on GLD to make it a better place to race.
    This is good news GLD NHRA NHRA

Quote Originally Posted by nismodave
    Snell 95 helmets are no longer legal. Minimum of Snell M2000.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg@GLD
    GLENDORA, Calif. (Sunday, Oct. 8, 2006) – NHRA announced the addition today
    So I take it this is going public on the 8th?
    Quote Originally Posted by lotsals1
    I nailed his a$$ with my windsheild fluid
    Toyota Prius: Probably not your first mistake.

Brew City Muscle Original!!! Stangman98's Avatar
    Congrats to GLD on becoming an NHRA track again. I perfer the NHRA rules more then IHRA anyway.
    In Progress
    604BBF/TH400/Radials

I am guessing the tech is not going to be as forgiving now?... Better for the track and I am happy about that, but READ the rule book for us racers. I have the IHRA book but, not the NHRA. Do you know a link of where this can be ordered, or are they going to be selling them there?

Also, With the import events mentioned in the first post... Is this going to bring the NHRA events HERE???!!!
    JHRacing.net

Those Who Say It Can't Be Done.... Shouldn't Fu(k With The Guy Who's Doing It!

that'd be awesome if we could get on one of the bigger tours... the local racers would really be able to stick it to some of the big name guys out there i'm sure!
    -josh

I know the big name guys like Shepherd, Brent Rau, Magnus, Ect... Are a part of the NHRA nopi races. Many of these take place in the midwest. Anywhere from NY to IL, so maybe we could be on the map!
    JHRacing.net

Quote Originally Posted by Syclone0044
    Holy crap!! That came outta nowhere!

I wonder what this means for the grassroots/hobby racers like us? Hopefully NHRA doesn't still have the 11.99 Rollbar rule I always liked IHRA for that reason.
    im glad my car doesn't run close to 11.99,that would suck to have more weight in my barge.
    Check out our NEW online store!
    http://store.clocksoffracing.com/

I wanna go fast... $title Champion Crawlin's Avatar
    No crap. same here.

Ron's Imp
    JHRacing.net

Quote Originally Posted by TopStreetDsm

Ron's Imp

+1
    WTFWTFWTFWTFWTFW
    WTFWTWFWTWFWTWFWT
    WTWFWTWFWTWFWTWFWTWTf

I wanna go fast... $title Champion Crawlin's Avatar
    +jabillion, HAHAHAHHAHAA

damn,and i cant say shit.......an import guy who CAN pick on me.

ill be over here pouting.
    Check out our NEW online store!
    http://store.clocksoffracing.com/

bwahahahaha!

ron's speechless... someone mark this on the calendar!
    -josh

Dont forget me, captain.

Nice hat.

Last edited by nismodave; 10-07-2006 at 01:05 PM.

Daily driving family sedan Bobby72GTO's Avatar

Damn, this thread is just getting crazy with all the good posting! lol to the pics. Looks like Ron needs to get a hat now for his boat.

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP A6 (Stock daily family sedan)
    2012 Honda Civic EX (Wife's stock daily)