Race pads now installed and they kick ass!

Getting ready for Road America in 2 weeks. In Spring I converted my truck's stock 1 piston 10.5" brakes that melted badly at R.A., to standard 12" LS1 brakes/calipers. They felt about the same, honestly......

...until yesterday when I tested my race pads for the first time!! I went with SSMike1's recommendation of CarboTech, and they insisted that I run the XP10s (XP9s are discontinued/unavailable, and Larry felt XP8 would be too little for my heavy truck). Well I don't have much race pad experience but I can say these XP10s are unbelievable!! I never had so much fun before decelerating!!

I noticed the difference as soon as I rolled down my driveway, ice cold, not broken in! I followed the breakin procedure and boy do they get grabby when hot! From 65mph you can lock up the tires no problem at half pedal but the nice thing is, as you slow down, you have so much more pedal left to use if you need!!

All in all, very impressive and a massive improvement over what I was running before. I can't wait to really hammer these babies from 130 MPH. I'm gonna try to set up some brake ducts as well, anyone know where I can get some tubing?
    Josh
    91 GMC Syclone, full street trim, full accessories, stock bottom end.
    11.45 @ 117.7 57mm PT51 turbo at 20 PSI, 93 octane street tune w/alcohol injection. D.I.Y. Budget build, <$4500 under the hood complete.

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

Thanks for the link - I'll have to stop out there this week.

I'm finally switching to a real track pad for this event, $280 for a set of pads that will hopefully last a weekend-yikes! See ya up there
    '94 6 liter 7 sold!
    '04 evo rs
    ml55 amg

R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar
    Great to here josh

Keep me posted on your brake duct setup. Mike might be able to help you with that, as he has a NICE setup on his SS.
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

Scott Walker for President. SSmike1's Avatar
    see ya soon!

JOSH!

please stop by!
    2000 SS camaro

Quote Originally Posted by turbogarrett
    I'm finally switching to a real track pad for this event, $280 for a set of pads that will hopefully last a weekend-yikes! See ya up there

thats what ya Need
    for a Race Track!

Pads that will not OVER HEAT and start Melting, and Gassing!

that usually happens around Lap 3 to 5 at RA
    depnding upon how Deep you Brake!
    how agressive you are?
    2000 SS camaro

Carbotech
    XP10
    is a FULL RACE PAD!!!!!!

this is the Ticket!

that PAD will stop that Truck ALL DAY LONG
    for an HOUR session, if ya could!

MAKE SURE you flush the Calipers, with Fresh Brake Fluid!

and you are good to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Syclone0044
    Getting ready for Road America in 2 weeks. In Spring I converted my truck's stock 1 piston 10.5" brakes that melted badly at R.A., to standard 12" LS1 brakes/calipers. They felt about the same, honestly......

...until yesterday when I tested my race pads for the first time!! I went with SSMike1's recommendation of CarboTech, and they insisted that I run the XP10s (XP9s are discontinued/unavailable, and Larry felt XP8 would be too little for my heavy truck). Well I don't have much race pad experience but I can say these XP10s are unbelievable!! I never had so much fun before decelerating!!

I noticed the difference as soon as I rolled down my driveway, ice cold, not broken in! I followed the breakin procedure and boy do they get grabby when hot! From 65mph you can lock up the tires no problem at half pedal but the nice thing is, as you slow down, you have so much more pedal left to use if you need!!

All in all, very impressive and a massive improvement over what I was running before. I can't wait to really hammer these babies from 130 MPH. I'm gonna try to set up some brake ducts as well, anyone know where I can get some tubing?
    2000 SS camaro

Well I picked up some black brake duct hose from Pegasus, 12 feet of 3" hose cost me $80!! I'll see what I can rig up today! Tough to fit it in there without worrying about the tire rubbing on a sharp turn.

Mike I hope to see you there!!! I can't WAIT!
    Josh
    91 GMC Syclone, full street trim, full accessories, stock bottom end.
    11.45 @ 117.7 57mm PT51 turbo at 20 PSI, 93 octane street tune w/alcohol injection. D.I.Y. Budget build, <$4500 under the hood complete.

Wink

with the COLD weather
    and
    XP10
    pads

you really don't have to have the ducting.

But i run mine all the time, to keep the Calipers from getting to hot and melting the Rubber seals a little each time.

BUT in this cold weather, the Ducts actually over cool the Pads/rotors
    in the Long straits!

But better to cool, than too hot!
    2000 SS camaro

I did the LS1 caliper conversion and 12 inch rotors on the GTX. I put Hawk (HPS i think) pads on there. It was hard to judge the difference since my brakes were so shot when I replaced everything.

I did a couple "panic stops" to test and I think it was work the effort.

Although, now at low speeds I get alot of break squeak (I think only when they are cold). Didn't happen until about a month of burn in.

I'm not taking my car to RA (wrong wheel drive) but they work pretty good for street
    -Andy
    PS3, Xbox 360, & Steam tag: Cryptic78

"(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)