Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First time to the track with my Iroc

Well I finally made it down to the track with my car for the first time.

My car is an 87 IrocZ Z28 Camaro. The car was specially ordered from the factory by its original owner. This guy obviously wanted a race car. He ordered the car with very minimal options other than the IrocZ package, the Z28 package, T-tops, and the L98 motor. This gives you the performance suspension with the big sway bars, 3.27 rear end with posi and the factory “wonder bar” It has no A/C, no power windows, locks or seats, no tilt wheel, no rear defrost…. Very Bare. The way this car was ordered is very similar to what the 1LE package was in later years.

Since I’ve had the car I have had the motor rebuilt, which included boring .030 over, 2.02 intake valves and some light head work, Comp Cams 8-302-8 compu cam. When I did all that I completely removed all emissions equipment from the engine and installed heddman shorty headers and Y-pipe. I have MSD 6AL, MSD blaster coil, wires, and distributor. A major project was swapping out the crappy 700R4 and switching to a T56 from a 95 TA, by far the best thing I have done to the car. The heater has been completely removed and the firewall filled in. The battery was relocated to the spare tire well. A lot of extra wiring and crap that was in the engine bay was removed (gm puts wires in for a/c and other stuff even if the car doesn’t have it) Right now the car weighs about 3400 with a full tank of gas and me in it, I don’t know exactly how much because the scale was blocked off at GLD when I went there.

As far as tuning goes, I haven’t done much. So far I have upgraded to the newer 89 L98 prom, disabled the EGR commands, and changed fan temps. I haven’t had time to really get into this yet and start doing some real tuning.

Ok now for the track stuff. First off the track was super busy and I only got to make 3 runs all night. They had Nitrous Street brawl (I think that’s what they were called) cars running in the left lane for a while then they would let everyone else run in both for a while then switch back.

Run #1
    I was nervous as hell, pulled up in the right lane, I decided not to do a burn out because I have 5 year old BFG Comp TAs and I figured it wouldn’t help at all. So I get up to the line, stage fine…. Revved it up to about 2000 rpms and dumped the clutch on the green light. It felt like I sat there for a minute spinning the tires, then if finally started to grab and get moving. As you can see on the slip RT wasn’t to bad, 60’ was horrible and my time generally sucked.

Run #2
    A little less nervous, I get the right lane again and this time I did a small burnout, or just spun them a little in the dry area next to the burnout box. Got up to the line, staged. This time I got it up to 1000 rpms and just tried to roll into the throttle. The car hooked right away and it felt like it was going to stall, but then it picked up again and I got going pretty good. RT was about the same, 60’ was a little better but still crap, and I got a little better time but still not that great.

Run #3
    I was sitting in line for over an hour next to about 5 Scion tC’s. I was hoping desperately to get next to one of them, I knew even running 15s I could stomp one of them. However when I got up to the front the Scion guys were waiting so they could race each other. I got waived to the left lane against the Diesel Ram that was in front of me in line. Knowing this was my last run of the night I figured what the hell, backed into the burnout box and attempted to do a big burnout, didn’t get to much because I started pulling out of the box. Got to the line, staged, and revved to about 1500 dumped the clutch on green and it hooked and again almost stalled the motor. RT was about the same again, 60’ was about the same and the time got a little slower.

Overall I know my 2 big problems where the fact that I need to learn how to launch the car, and I need better traction. This winter, I will be installing subframe connectors, maybe a cage, 3.73 gears and getting some DRs or Slicks or something for the track
    Last edited by PonyKiller87; 07-30-2008 at 11:44 AM.
    Kevin
    Daily Driver: 1999 Chevy Tahoe w/ Vortec 350
    Wifes DD: 2003 VW Passat Wagon w/ 1.8T, 5 speed auto
    Plow Truck: 99 Chevy K3500 Pickup w/ a Vortec 454
    Toy 1: 98 BMW R1100R
    87 Camaro Iroc Z28, SOLD, Gone But not Forgotten

a cage in a 15 sec car????
    Check out our NEW online store!
    http://store.clocksoffracing.com/

It will go faster, eventualy a lot faster. Just a matter or time and money.

I guess maybe more of a roll bar, kind that just has the hoop, and then 2 bars going down the back and 2 bars by the doors. Like I said, thats a maybe, it probably wont happen this year but the subframe connectors have to go in and I was planning on tying it all together.
    Kevin

The man in the box Jukebox Hero Champion My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion Smaugs Treasure Champion Lash's Avatar
    It seems slower than it should be....even with the crappy 60's times.

Yeah that is about what my best times with my 5.0 when I was stock (2.4 60' 2.73 gears....) somthing dosnt seem right here for what you have done to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    stew - continuing confirmation of the hypothesis that marbles aren't sharp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Jim you build... break... and rebuild cars faster than I can put one together.

Quote Originally Posted by PonyKiller87
    Well I finally made it down to the track with my car for the first time.

My car is an 87 IrocZ Z28 Camaro. The car was specially ordered from the factory by its original owner. This guy obviously wanted a race car. He ordered the car with very minimal options other than the IrocZ package, the Z28 package, T-tops, and the L98 motor. This gives you the performance suspension with the big sway bars, 3.27 rear end with posi and the factory “wonder bar” It has no A/C, no power windows, locks or seats, no tilt wheel, no rear defrost…. Very Bare. The way this car was ordered is very similar to what the 1LE package was in later years.

Since I’ve had the car I have had the motor rebuilt, which included boring .030 over, 2.02 intake valves and some light head work, Comp Cams 8-302-8 compu cam. When I did all that I completely removed all emissions equipment from the engine and installed heddman shorty headers and Y-pipe. I have MSD 6AL, MSD blaster coil, wires, and distributor. A major project was swapping out the crappy 700R4 and switching to a T56 from a 95 TA, by far the best thing I have done to the car. The heater has been completely removed and the firewall filled in. The battery was relocated to the spare tire well. A lot of extra wiring and crap that was in the engine bay was removed (gm puts wires in for a/c and other stuff even if the car doesn’t have it) Right now the car weighs about 3400 with a full tank of gas and me in it, I don’t know exactly how much because the scale was blocked off at GLD when I went there.

As far as tuning goes, I haven’t done much. So far I have upgraded to the newer 89 L98 prom, disabled the EGR commands, and changed fan temps. I haven’t had time to really get into this yet and start doing some real tuning.

Ok now for the track stuff. First off the track was super busy and I only got to make 3 runs all night. They had Nitrous Street brawl (I think that’s what they were called) cars running in the left lane for a while then they would let everyone else run in both for a while then switch back.

Run #1
    I was nervous as hell, pulled up in the right lane, I decided not to do a burn out because I have 5 year old BFG Comp TAs and I figured it wouldn’t help at all. So I get up to the line, stage fine…. Revved it up to about 2000 rpms and dumped the clutch on the green light. It felt like I sat there for a minute spinning the tires, then if finally started to grab and get moving. As you can see on the slip RT wasn’t to bad, 60’ was horrible and my time generally sucked.

Run #2
    A little less nervous, I get the right lane again and this time I did a small burnout, or just spun them a little in the dry area next to the burnout box. Got up to the line, staged. This time I got it up to 1000 rpms and just tried to roll into the throttle. The car hooked right away and it felt like it was going to stall, but then it picked up again and I got going pretty good. RT was about the same, 60’ was a little better but still crap, and I got a little better time but still not that great.

Run #3
    I was sitting in line for over an hour next to about 5 Scion tC’s. I was hoping desperately to get next to one of them, I knew even running 15s I could stomp one of them. However when I got up to the front the Scion guys were waiting so they could race each other. I got waived to the left lane against the Diesel Ram that was in front of me in line. Knowing this was my last run of the night I figured what the hell, backed into the burnout box and attempted to do a big burnout, didn’t get to much because I started pulling out of the box. Got to the line, staged, and revved to about 1500 dumped the clutch on green and it hooked and again almost stalled the motor. RT was about the same again, 60’ was about the same and the time got a little slower.

Overall I know my 2 big problems where the fact that I need to learn how to launch the car, and I need better traction. This winter, I will be installing subframe connectors, maybe a cage, 3.73 gears and getting some DRs or Slicks or something for the track
    The more you go to the track the better you will do. Not bad for the first time.

My cousin had an 89 350 Iroc, and bone stock with 100k, he ran a 14.7. I think more practice and good tires, you'll be closer to 14.3ish. Good luck and nice car! Any pics??

Brian
    1997 Red GTP Coupe - Sold
    2004 Nissan Maxima SL - Sold
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT
    -Spectre Intake
    -Corsa Catback
    -Diablosport Tune
    -13.17@106

Quote Originally Posted by Red97GTP
    My cousin had an 89 350 Iroc, and bone stock with 100k, he ran a 14.7. I think more practice and good tires, you'll be closer to 14.3ish. Good luck and nice car! Any pics??

Brian
    honestly for what has been done to it, it should be faster than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    stew - continuing confirmation of the hypothesis that marbles aren't sharp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Jim you build... break... and rebuild cars faster than I can put one together.

The man in the box Jukebox Hero Champion My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion Smaugs Treasure Champion Lash's Avatar
    Ya...I was thinking at least high 13's...especially with a T-56.

Keep trying though...it can only get faster...I think.

It was your first time at the track so Im sure that had alot to do with it. I ran my car and ran a 15.3 when I know It can do better than that. I just need to practice my technique.

All i have to say is step up!!
    Mine will be to the track b4 the snow fly's I know the time i need to beat Kev
    http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic372_2.gif

kev's car is a pyle...lol.....i put alot of damn time, blood and sweat into that car and was damn proud to see it at the track.....and i will be there for all the future mod's......i will try to get the vid up kevin.....
    Brandon
    2004.5 K2500hd LLY Dmax/Allison EC/SB - Minor Mod's
    2005 Trailblazer Lt 4x4 - Wife's - Stock
    PS3HANDLE:SilverStreak82

I was hoping for mid 13s but at the same time I knew traction was going to be a problem so I know that wasnt realistic.

Its getting parked for the winter in the next week or two and then I will start working on everything. Then I just have to wait until spring to see what if it helped.

Neuwave - was that you next to me on my second run? The car I was up against looked alot like yours.

Brandon email me that video and I can post.

Brian, you have it alot easier being that your car is an auto.

Thanks for all the input guys.
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by PonyKiller87
    I was hoping for mid 13s but at the same time I knew traction was going to be a problem so I know that wasnt realistic.

Its getting parked for the winter in the next week or two and then I will start working on everything. Then I just have to wait until spring to see what if it helped.

Neuwave - was that you next to me on my second run? The car I was up against looked alot like yours.

Brandon email me that video and I can post.

Brian, you have it alot easier being that your car is an auto.

Thanks for all the input guys.
    I know you have evil bugs to work out
    As you already know!!

Danielle... times change. Poncho's Avatar
    honestly, not bad, seems alot slow, but man sometimes I find it hard to have faith in thirdgens. my 2nd favorite body style, but seems like all they do is make torque, then die before they get rolling up top.

My dad was going to just put an LS1 in his '86 iroc, but thats not easy, so he bought a base 290hp crate motor, then will soup it up from there (vortec heads, edelbrock hiflow base/runners then port the top end, and toss a cam in it) even with that, I'm telling him not to expect too much. it'll still be outta breath by 5500, likely.

pics of car??
    sounds great. I have a real softspot for thirdgens, esp. 85-90 TA/GTAs and 85-90 IROCs & 91-92 Z/28s
    Well, at the very least, I have an interesting back story.

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeThis
    honestly, not bad, seems alot slow, but man sometimes I find it hard to have faith in thirdgens. my 2nd favorite body style, but seems like all they do is make torque, then die before they get rolling up top.

My dad was going to just put an LS1 in his '86 iroc, but thats not easy, so he bought a base 290hp crate motor, then will soup it up from there (vortec heads, edelbrock hiflow base/runners then port the top end, and toss a cam in it) even with that, I'm telling him not to expect too much. it'll still be outta breath by 5500, likely.

pics of car??
    sounds great. I have a real softspot for thirdgens, esp. 85-90 TA/GTAs and 85-90 IROCs & 91-92 Z/28s
    Here is one pic of it
    Last edited by BadAzzGTA89; 10-05-2006 at 05:07 PM.

red x. ..

damn I shoulda got an IROC, never had one, but I did have an '88 sport coupe w/ ground effects though.